Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos but this forum has helped me a lot as well. I also attempted using a 9 gauge wire instead of the 14 gauge I used, but the 9 gauge was almost impossible to work with. Any suggestions?

Leave about 1ft extra wire length than you expect to need for the branch... the extra length will give you torque to make it easier to wrap the wire... it comes with time. I use 10 guage solid electrical copper for some things that require a lot of holding power, and extra length makes it alot easier.

Llamabro4

Seedling
Reaction score
Ooo alright I’ll definitely look in to that. Should I try rewriting everything with the new stuff or should I just leave it be? Also my tree is looking a little shabby and I don’t know if it’s healthy or not. I have a little growth log on it and it gets some indirect sunlight a lot of the day but should I put it outside.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Dont rewire now.
2. It needs to be outside. Is the foliage 'crispy'? Juniper dont do well inside. When did you get this tree?

A healthy juniper this time of the year should be coming out of dormancy in the northeast and start showing healthy growing tips like these:

20200329_131747.jpg

20200329_131814.jpg

Im in new jersey, so a couple zones warmer, but my junipers started pushing new growth tips about a month ago so you should he seeing these kinds of changes too about now.

Llamabro4

Seedling
Reaction score
1. Dont rewire now.
2. It needs to be outside. Is the foliage 'crispy'? Juniper dont do well inside. When did you get this tree?

A healthy juniper this time of the year should be coming out of dormancy in the northeast and start showing healthy growing tips like these:

View attachment 292814

View attachment 292815

Im in new jersey, so a couple zones warmer, but my junipers started pushing new growth tips about a month ago so you should he seeing these kinds of changes too about now.
Ooo ok. I got it a week ago and took it into my house. I live in Arkansas so it is pretty warm down here and it has been raining a lot. I’m pretty sure the soil and drainage are good, but should I keep the moss on top? Also do you think the rain will be too much or should I keep it under an overhang? Also is Arkansas a good place for junipers?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Arkansas, got it. I thought you were in maine or somrthing.

It has to go outside. Its going to definitely not live inside under normal conditions. Look into tropicals if you want an indoor bonsai. Rain is fine as long as the soil drains so check to see if your pot has a hole in the bottom. If it does, i wouldnt be super worried about the rain but i wouldnt water it unless the soil is dry. Its probably is crappy soil so repotting once you see health come to the tree might not be a bad idea.

I think you should look for some local clubs and spend about 40hrs watching good bonsai youtube videos about care and maintenance and basics. And read read read read read.

Llamabro4

Seedling
Reaction score
Arkansas, got it. I thought you were in maine or somrthing.

It has to go outside. Its going to definitely not live inside under normal conditions. Look into tropicals if you want an indoor bonsai. Rain is fine as long as the soil drains so check to see if your pot has a hole in the bottom. If it does, i wouldnt be super worried about the rain but i wouldnt water it unless the soil is dry. Its probably is crappy soil so repotting once you see health come to the tree might not be a bad idea.

I think you should look for some local clubs and spend about 40hrs watching good bonsai youtube videos about care and maintenance and basics. And read read read read read.
Ok got it. Do you know what type of soil I should use?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok got it. Do you know what type of soil I should use?

Depends on a lot of factors. You should do some research and make a decision based on your own needs.

Top Bottom