Crazy Jade

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nope, sitting in my office. Even though I only water it once a week, the soil is probably staying too wet. I actually didn't think there was a problem, just thought I'd show those weird roots, lol.

Crystal waters a large one at her office no more then every two weeks. When it is humid out for a week she backs it up to three weeks - grows like a monster... It is the larger variety and still a nice plant. The small leaf work the same although I am not inclined to have either at the house. The plant room is kept a tad to humid I am certain and the reason she took that one to work ;)

Don't work those until you have a chance to call, I can offer some good advice on when, and what to do with them.

Grimmy

Last edited:

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Jades will backbud at the chop site when you prune them, but if you get them growing strongly and then regularly prune new growth back to leaf pairs, they will also push shoots from arbitrary locations on the trunk. You can develop decent ramification on them over time, but it takes a few seasons before you really get it heading in the right direction.

2. Mostly inorganic you mean. I use a 2:1:1 turface: pine bark: grit mix and it works great. But I've used all kinds of things for jades. It just needs to drain really well. Soak them when you water them, then let them completely dry out before watering again. They send out roots when they're dry, so you can leverage this knowledge to get them to develop roots quicker.

3. Yes, you can wire jades, and they will hold a bend nicely. You just have to be careful not to snap them when you wire them. Gentle bends. And watch the wire closely so you catch it before it ever really bites in.

Also, if your jade keeps getting leggy it's probably not getting enough sunlight. They do very well outdoors for the growing season, with the caveat that when you put them out, you need to acclimate them to outdoor sun before leaving them out in full sun all day (to avoid sunburn). If you can't do that, at least put it in the brightest window you have in your house.
2. Yes, I mean inorganic!
3. Cool, I've give wiring a shot
I have tried outdoors before, and it did tend to sunburn. I'll try acclimating slowly.
Here's my jade. It used to have leaves all the way down the branches, but it keeps loosing them. I had a gardener tell me to stop watering until it recovered. It made a small rebound and started growing again, but it's back to loosing leaves again. Also, I repotted it over a year ago, and it doesn't seem to be filling the pot with roots. I can tell the rootball is still the same size. Maybe it's the growing medium. I currently have it in 1:1:1 pumice, growstones, coco coir. I think I'll replace the coir with pine bark next time.
20171026_180212.jpg

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
2. Yes, I mean inorganic!
3. Cool, I've give wiring a shot
I have tried outdoors before, and it did tend to sunburn. I'll try acclimating slowly.
Here's my jade. It used to have leaves all the way down the branches, but it keeps loosing them. I had a gardener tell me to stop watering until it recovered. It made a small rebound and started growing again, but it's back to loosing leaves again. Also, I repotted it over a year ago, and it doesn't seem to be filling the pot with roots. I can tell the rootball is still the same size. Maybe it's the growing medium. I currently have it in 1:1:1 pumice, growstones, coco coir. I think I'll replace the coir with pine bark next time.
View attachment 165102
That's got a decent starting branch structure. Prune every branch back to a leaf pair, and then let it grow out again. Prune about 1/8" or so above the leaf pair, and leave a nub. It will dry up and fall off, then you'll get two new branches in most places. Let each new branch grow out to about 3-4 leaf pairs or so, then prune back again to the next new leaf pair. After a while of doing this, you'll get new branches in lower places, and the canopy will start to fill in.

This works especially well when you do the pruning around mid-summer, but as long as you prune to leaf pairs, you can do it just about any time. These things compartmentalize extremely well, and heal over pruning damage like it never happened. During mid-summer you can even prune back to no leaves, but I wouldn't recommend that any other time of year. Too unpredictable.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With all of the jade talk going on I was inspired to get down on my knees and clean up my HOUSE PLANT :)
I removed about 5 lbs
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg It is 50 plus years old and never been out of this pot.
After looking at the pics I'm going to reduce the top a pinch also.

Last edited:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HELP!!!
Which pot would you use?image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The round probably fits better.. but the square would counter the wobble :p. Going to get it in inorganics? :)
I think round looks better.
I'm using the soil they use at Mizzou
For their Cactus and succu, it's not very organic at all.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I vote round. That thing is a monster.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think round looks better.

I agree but much more shallow and wide based. A tall round will make it "tippy" as they like being dry. Also you need stability while understanding the root structure does not normally support the larger ones ;)

Grimmy

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree but much more shallow and wide based. A tall round will make it "tippy" as they like being dry. Also you need stability while understanding the root structure does not normally support the larger ones ;)

Grimmy
I agree with Grimmy. Option 3 is the way forward.. fire up the furnace! This HOUSE PLANT demands a custom pot! ;)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 165285 My jade: I chopped it down this last spring to start all over.
Excellent choice. I believe this is the hardest part for individuals with plants and bonsai. A lot of times people will let beautiful Ficus get to big to bring back in the house and just give them away!
JUST CHOP IT DOWN!

Looks great!

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've neglected the crap out of this one. I left it in the corner of the greenhouse, away from the lights, which caused it to reach for zeeee light!
IMG_20170925_182755598.jpg

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brought Her in to bloom
contentRedirection

Top Bottom