Crazy Jade

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
About how old are these jade trees? Mine grows so slow i can't imagine ever seeing mine this big.
NM, it helps to read!:D:rolleyes:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out the Cork Bark Jade I just added to my collection.image.jpegimage.jpeg it had a 4 foot tall sacrifice apex when I bought it and I had it chopped to ship.image.jpeg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet! Guess you've found a new fondness for houseplants? :p
Haha!
I do this every year when I bring the Tropicals in for the winter. The Cork bark is one of Frank Yee's and I figured I better jump on the chance to own it.
I've been growing indoor under lights for almost 20 years.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haha!
I do this every year when I bring the Tropicals in for the winter. The Cork bark is one of Frank Yee's and I figured I better jump on the chance to own it.
I've been growing indoor under lights for almost 20 years.

I assumed was the case ;) You must know by now I can't resist cracking a joke.

But really, that's one seriously nice jade.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Bored with winter, I brought the jade home today and did this. I might have gotten a little carried away, but I have a ton more cuttings stuck in other pots. jade forest.jpg

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had a big jade houseplant that got a fungus and went downhill real quick. I planted 2 decent sized cutting from it like 7 years ago... this is them now. I need to do a better job of pinching the growth to make it more compact. It’s an easy plant to forget about for long periods of time.

6AFFFF7A-B8D0-43F0-82C0-9CD1B659AF7D.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@music~maker I did not intentionally disregard your good advice. I re-read the thread AFTER I did this, where you said not to do this in the winter. :(. My bad, just bored. If they don't make it, I have plenty more cuttings, that weren't as drastically butchered. The whole mess came from a $3 plant, to begin with. I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
No thoughts? I know I probably shouldn't have done this in winter, but sitting in the house all day is making me crazy.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Carol 83
I like it, and cool little pot!

One thing I've noticed with jade is that when you break off a piece to root, they are prone to rot until they throw out roots, so just be careful with the water until they do. Although they root easily in a glass of water...o_O but I've had problems before with them rotting in soil before the roots came.

Literally just throw them on top of the soil to root them. You can break off the pieces and just let them sit on a desk for a few days to callus over before putting them in soil, that's how to get around the rotting problem when freshly broken off.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83
I like it, and cool little pot!

One thing I've noticed with jade is that when you break off a piece to root, they are prone to rot until they throw out roots, so just be careful with the water until they do. Although they root easily in a glass of water...o_O but I've had problems before with them rotting in soil before the roots came.

Literally just throw them on top of the soil to root them. You can break off the pieces and just let them sit on a desk for a few days to callus over before putting them in soil, that's how to get around the rotting problem when freshly broken off.
Thanks!. I have had good luck in the past with just sticking them in the soil (cactus/succulent) with no watering, until they show growth. The soil looks wet, but it is straight from the bag.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha sorry, yeah I thought you drizzled a little water around the stems :)

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@music~maker I did not intentionally disregard your good advice. I re-read the thread AFTER I did this, where you said not to do this in the winter. :(. My bad, just bored. If they don't make it, I have plenty more cuttings, that weren't as drastically butchered. The whole mess came from a $3 plant, to begin with. I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
They can still recover during the winter but they're usually not growing very fast, and they're much more likely to die back at that time. All you can do now is sit back and wait. Make sure you provide plenty of light, and keep the temp about 65F. Even if it just muddles through until spring, outdoor growth will speed things up. Be sure to acclimate it to slowly full sunlight before putting outside in full sun.

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This beauty is at the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago.

Attachments

• Garfield Park Conservatory - Jade.jpeg
    Garfield Park Conservatory - Jade.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 28

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's awesome... I've been scrolling up and down looking at last year's compared to this year's...

What are your plans for your forest?
Thanks. I tend to do things like this in the winter, out of sheer boredom. I keep it in my office window, as well as a few orchids, just to have something alive there. I'll probably take it home and try to make some sort of landscape scene with it sometime this winter. Like the Fairy Garden thing I did my with a clearance aisle Norfolk Pine last year.

Top Bottom