Did I read this correctly, or did I just miss the memo?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is this being interpreted as an end to Mirai Live streaming instruction (by Ryan) or just an end to Ryan's in-house/in-person classes at his facility?
Neither: Todd is taking over basic and intermediate instruction. Ryan is only offering advanced classes on-site (Mirai Live continues).

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Neither: Todd is taking over basic and intermediate instruction. Ryan is only offering advanced classes on-site (Mirai Live continues).
Thanks. Hmm.. I couldn’t tell that was happening when I looked at Todd’s schedule of 2022 offerings up to Oct. Doesn’t look like core offerings. Am I missing something?
Best
DSD sends

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I did not receive the email. However I am not signed up for classes. I am assuming there are no implications for the video streaming - I'm sure that is his core business.

Sounds to me like he is making structural changes to the nursery that preclude having too many public visitors in the near-term. If I were him, any upgrades would include additional security (sad as it is for me to say that).

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Glad Todd is getting the recognition. I spent a couple days with him, in 2018? or 2019? I think highly of Todd's skills, artistic sense and I like his low key teaching style. Personally, I am not compatible with Ryan's teaching style. I enjoy watching his demos. I would not want him next to me working on my tree. Not my cup of tea. We all have different styles of teachers we like. For example I think Ted Mattson is a far better teacher than Ryan Neil. Ted is low key, with a very deep knowledge of bonsai. But Ryan Neil is a far better "showman" than Ted. Ryan knows how to promote bonsai, promote Mirai and promote himself. Nothing wrong with that.

So congrats to Todd.

I don't know what to think of Mirai's problems with security. I've never seen the set up there. I really can't comment, other than the vandalism happened almost a year or more ago. I would have done my security redo within a few weeks of the incident. I'm surprised he still has to revisit the issue. Barb wire fence, and security system can't take that long to install? But like I said, I've never been there, I don't know what his concerns are.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this being interpreted as an end to Mirai Live streaming instruction (by Ryan) or just an end to Ryan's in-house/in-person classes at his facility?
Do not believe so personally. Believe is giving Todd personal accolades as worthy teacher. Did not get memo. cannot find on website. Observing several streams about Crater Lake gave some hint of Ryans future ADDED programming and also he continues to have waiting list for future Mirai students. Consider what made Mirai so well known? Mirai Live streams and I read this to continuing.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Personally, I am not compatible with Ryan's teaching style. I enjoy watching his demos. I would not want him next to me working on my tree.
I wouldn’t presume to try to convince you, but I can tell you that his in-person teaching style bears little resemblance to his online streaming style and he imparts knowledge in a way that tends to increase in-person students’ skills by quantum leaps.

I don't know what to think of Mirai's problems with security. I've never been there, I don't know what his concerns are.
The curriculum changes have nothing to do with security.

Top Bottom