Die Grinder Bits

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey all... for all you that use die grinders for carving... what's your favorite bit or bits to use.
Looking to do a hollow trunk on a large Montezuma Cypress shortly.
Keep coming across some rasp bits but not sure they are what I am lookin for.
Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.44.37 AM.png

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not pitching the vendor, but most of what is on these pages are what I use...

I use the carving balls, a round headed router bit, the saw blade ones and brushes. I also have all the samurai heads.

I potentially start with a chain saw and work my way smaller (samurai or die grinder, then dremel or foredom knock-off) including using hand tools to peel fibers for texture.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey all... for all you that use die grinders for carving... what's your favorite bit or bits to use.
Thanks!
View attachment 361758
I use these when I woodwork, you will enjoy them for sure. Kutzall bits

thumbnail_20201014_212415.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks!
View attachment 361758
That style is more suitable for shaping or (roughly) smoothing wood, not bulk removal or carving.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was just looking at Kutzall bits on Amazon yesterday. Their 1/4" shank extra coarse bits are similar to the image that you posted. The original coarse bits look more like the carbide "structured tooth" bits I have seen others mention on this forum. I will probably go with that in a 3/4" rounded head when I decide I can spend another $25 on crap for bonsai. No hands-on experience with anything like this here, though, so I can't speak to the relative merits yet.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was just looking at Kutzall bits on Amazon yesterday. Their 1/4" shank extra coarse bits are similar to the image that you posted. The original coarse bits look more like the carbide "structured tooth" bits I have seen others mention on this forum. I will probably go with that in a 3/4" rounded head when I decide I can spend another $25 on crap for bonsai. No hands-on experience with anything like this here, though, so I can't speak to the relative merits yet.
I have a bunch of Kutzall bits for my Dremels. Best part is when they clog up just burn them with a torch and they're good to go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a bunch of Kutzall bits for my Dremels. Best part is when they clog up just burn them with a torch and they're good to go.

I could look but you must be the user who recommended these and unclogging with a butane torch. I thought, "Well I have a butane torch!" We shall see. I like the look of Nibbler/Samurai/etc. bits but don't have enough need for carving bits yet to drop that kind of cash.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
sorry i meant this one, it attaches to a makita

its the first one i ever bought. ive done so many trees with it and only bought replacement blades once. i have the nibbler for the dremel but never really liked it, i found it constantly gets shegged up in the wood. others have better experiences with it.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks everybody for your awesome recommendations! Even the chainsaw LOL. I use the circular chainsaw on my grinder… Works great for removing lots of material and chopping.
I guess I am looking for something between the Dremel bits and the circular chainsaw blade.… But I think I have found a source here. You guys are awesome thank you

Top Bottom