Do we underestimate trees' intelligence sometimes? Overwintering and breaking-buds season

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plants are not self absorbed as many (most, self included?) people are. Lacking an ego they work for the greater good. We depend on them. They do not depend on us but they will form allies with us.
My original post here was simply in defense of plants. I am sensitive on this subject. Plants are quite literally our ancestors.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
The pain in the shoulder is not caused by the brain, it's a signal that the brain gets.
That is exactly the point, so all you served to do was call out your own dimwitedness.

The skin, eye, nose, tongue, ear all send signals to the brain and that is why they are called sensory organs. Without the brain, your shoulder (or the skin on it) would just be a slab of meat and crackling.

A further lesson would only be a waste of time.

It must be really difficult living your life constantly arguing with people, convinced that you are the one in the right when in fact, although you have a reasonable grasp of information available, you just jumble it up in the wrong order making the conclusions fundamentally wrong. I’m not surprised you think your shoulder has more sense than your brain.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cherry trees do make a run for it: they grow tasty fruit that animals eat and plant the seeds in a new environment.
But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and plain procreation is only coincidentally mobile, the trees are not "trying" to move to new venues.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plants are not self absorbed as many (most, self included?) people are. Lacking an ego they work for the greater good. We depend on them. They do not depend on us but they will form allies with us.

Plants
Facts dont care about your feelings

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
"Intelligence is one's ability to learn from experience and to adapt to, shape, and select environments." (Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2012 Mar; 14(1): 19–27.)
Although I would never apply the word intelligent to trees, your definition is a pretty strong case for trees being intelligent!

"...trying to figure out how to get from messing around to taking this thing seriously."
I'll offer you my sons take on things. While in University he said to me "Dad the difference between science and just f*%@ing around is writing Shit down!" Sounded pretty complete to me. LOL

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is exactly the point, so all you served to do was call out your own dimwitedness.

The skin, eye, nose, tongue, ear all send signals to the brain and that is why they are called sensory organs. Without the brain, your shoulder (or the skin on it) would just be a slab of meat and crackling.

A further lesson would only be a waste of time.

It must be really difficult living your life constantly arguing with people, convinced that you are the one in the right when in fact, although you have a reasonable grasp of information available, you just jumble it up in the wrong order making the conclusions fundamentally wrong. I’m not surprised you think your shoulder has more sense than your brain.
You still haven't grasped the concept of "brain". It is the central part of the nervous system in animals. There is no corollary in plants. Try to stay on topic.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Research shows that the roots of a tree are the brain and that intelligence extends through every cell of the plant. To try to explain this to nearly anyone who has not studied it extensively is like trying to explain Christmas to a headhunter on Borneo.
Intelligence is not a byproduct of the brain regardless. The brain is a byproduct of the inherit nature of intelligence that exists in everything. Consciousness is all that truly exists.
I don't expect converts here and I will not expand on a subject that I am not capable of explaining when there are dozens (probably hundreds) of good sources for this information, not a book or three. Plant intelligence studies have been part of my life for most of my life and I am not yet capable to explain it susinctly, nor will I ever be.
Fair enough. There are parts of this which are a step beyond what I can get on board with, again probably because I haven’t spent the time understanding all the whys and wherefores, but consciousness and intelligence are entirely different constructs in my view. Consciousness leads to reactionary measures, whereas intelligence requires imagination, I think. It can be difficult to distinguish between the two though. You know, chicken and egg type scenarios Etc.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and plain procreation is only coincidentally mobile, the trees are not "trying" to move to new venues.
Not at all true. It is a given that plants deploy many methods to migrate. Not the least of which is to use animal allies.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
You still haven't grasped the concept of "brain". It is the central part of the nervous system in animals. There is no corollary in plants. Try to stay on topic.
You are just the gift that keeps on giving! So what is it then that drives plants to follow the sun across the sky?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to spring...when our trees keep us busier than idle fingers moving on a keyboard. Less rudness when we are busy with trees.
True, but unfortunately stupidity is not seasonal either...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
True, but unfortunately stupidity is not seasonal either...
Ahhh, but my dad was firm in his stance...that if we play into another man's hand. Showing it bothers us...we let them win.

The irony...that bit of advice I later turned to offer for the one in which it was given to me to begin with. Helping them with a situation they found themselves in.

Things come around full circle sometimes .

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what is it then that drives plants to follow the sun across the sky?
I would wonder whether it is actually known how they do that. Needs to be something about sugar production that triggers rotation through osmosis or something!

I highly doubt it is a premeditated contious action, and suspect it is purely fysiological

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can you point us to said research
Maybe not exactly what was being mentioned. From the book I mentioned earlier that led to this derailment:

"Surprisingly, news bulletins are sent via the roots not only by means of chemical compounds but also by means of electrical impulses that travel at the speed of a third of an inch per second."
7.) Susanne Billig and Petra Geist, "Die Intelligenz der Pflanzen" ("The Intelligence of Plants") Deutschlandradio Kultur, July 18, 2010

Top Bottom