Educational Bonsai

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I hope you get the grant /funds to make this a reality. I think it would be a great learning experience for the kids to literally get their hands dirty and off of the electronic devices.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope you get the grant /funds to make this a reality. I think it would be a great learning experience for the kids to literally get their hands dirty and off of the electronic devices.
It's ironic that an online high school does so much to get their students off the computers. 😆

It's also why I love my job!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have fun on this project! Both of mine were different, but I had lots of fun working on both. I’m sure you’ve already pored through JudyB’s greenhouse project, if not here’s the link.

Based upon my experience this year electricity is a must. Fans and lights as a minimum. Heaters, heat mats were important for me too. If there is electricity in the garage at your place, running the wire and putting a 2 - 3 outside outlets (make the first one on the run a gfi outlet unless there is already one in the circuit.) where the greenhouse butts in would be easy to do. Extension cords and power strips can be used from there. Then there could be access to power for lights, fans, heat, seedling mats etc. If you had to take it down you would be up to code.

The garden hose is run to both units as needed. Mostly there are many milk gallon containers of water in each greenhouse. Drainage is important though. One of my greenhouses has a slab floor, while the other has a perimeter concrete foundation I built on my own. I had used off the shelf cold frames (collapsed due to snow load the second year, wrecking havoc on the bonsai within. Then a 6x20 PVC cold frame that still works, but needed something more stable and accessible for all the younger azaleas, cuttings and whips and recently repotted trees. So two Palram twin wall kits were the answer. Not perfect, but I didn't have to go through a permitting process to do this.

My solution with the concrete slab might be of interest. It was to use an angle grinder with a concrete grinding disc to smooth of the 8 x 8 pad, then to gently slope the floor to a corner area where I dug a French drain. This left the surface smooth, not slick. Then routed out the bottom of the Hardy Plank base foundation in that corner enough to allow drainage. It works. The third image only shows the corner, the entire slab was slightly sloped.

Disc for angle grinder
1DA76503-354D-4C91-BCB1-F465503BA3D6.jpeg

Grinding. The 3M half respirators with P100 filter are great. Could of used a floor grinder, but this job required a light touch.
D4C0B360-5263-4D1B-9905-5D0AB1644B6D.jpeg
The drain. This was a convienent spot to put the drain. A French drain perforated runs along the left side to a drain rock sump about 14’ away. Your site might need two drains.
8F743831-0A51-4B60-85E8-4D8B98CF414F.jpeg

Anyways my two bits. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dunno if your school would go for the electrical and drain. I know mine baulked every time I upped the ante on a project. My mottos were “Be like water on a flat rock.” “No is just an interesting start to a negotiation”.

…. Just thinking back over 20 years of teaching science and a small bit of my experience on fundraising.

Eventually I did get good at grant writing, starting with the PTSA, District Educational Foundation, Rotary and working up from there. Once I got the students and their parents onboard and helping on projects and other tasks, things got a whole lot easier. Publicity and awards came and redirected so the district could get credit. This unleashed an entire new dimension of funding.

Cheers
DSD sends

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll see if I can remember to get some pics of the place this coming week so you all can see what I have to work with.

It's technically an online high school, but we have roughly 40 drop-in sites all over the state, nearly 5000 students statewide. My site happens to be in a strip mall nextdoor to a movie theater and across the street from the county courthouse and jail.
Because our organization gets almost the same funding per student, but pays so much less in facilities costs, we've worked out allot more wiggle room for activities and projects.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Always, or just because of COVID?
Always.
All the curriculum is online, but teachers are available online during business hours, and even travel to different sites for in-person help with students. They do live virtual classes, and post the recordings, one on one tutoring, etc. Their class sizes can be huge, though. That's why me; I'm a paraprofessional, but my job title is academic coach. I do attendance every day (yes, we have an attendance requirement that's more than just logging on) parent teacher conferences, lite tutoring, activities, and all the not directly class related stuff.
At my site we have over a dozen students we regularly drive around pick up just so they can do school work somewhere other than home, or to participate in activities and the like. I have a student who's 17 and brings her baby in every day so we can help out while she does school work. We have a specific job for someone who does nothing but hook students and their families up with resources they might need to help them out. Everything from food boxes to housing.
We have full on tournament level eSports teams, and sponsor students playing sports with the local brick and mortar school teams. We've expanded our concurrent college and technical school enrollment programs allot in recent years.

Just saying, not all online schools are created equal.
And did I mention I love my job?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Always.
All the curriculum is online, but teachers are available online during business hours, and even travel to different sites for in-person help with students. They do live virtual classes, and post the recordings, one on one tutoring, etc. Their class sizes can be huge, though. That's why me; I'm a paraprofessional, but my job title is academic coach. I do attendance every day (yes, we have an attendance requirement that's more than just logging on) parent teacher conferences, lite tutoring, activities, and all the not directly class related stuff.
At my site we have over a dozen students we regularly drive around pick up just so they can do school work somewhere other than home, or to participate in activities and the like. I have a student who's 17 and brings her baby in every day so we can help out while she does school work. We have a specific job for someone who does nothing but hook students and their families up with resources they might need to help them out. Everything from food boxes to housing.
We have full on tournament level eSports teams, and sponsor students playing sports with the local brick and mortar school teams. We've expanded our concurrent college and technical school enrollment programs allot in recent years.

Just saying, not all online schools are created equal.
And did I mention I love my job?
Teachers are so underestimated. Thank you for all that you do.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, and forgot I took this pic the other day.
IMG_20220112_141226_966.jpg
Just blooming away like the world is in fact in order.
Also, on the hunt for some proper sand/soil for the jades. They haven't done much in a while, and I think will need to be bumped to the head of the repot line.
The natal plums are gone, unfortunately. I had high hopes for them in the beginning. I like pretty, thorny things.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Here's a place to get all those gadgets for the greenhouse.

Vent openers, at least one or two of your vent openers should be the wax filled type that was pictured previously because they work even if power is out. Key is, plan for power failures.

Swamp coolers, these are vertical mounted pads, that have water trickle onto the pad at the top, and a fan blows air through or across the pad. Also available from greenhouse supply stores. Evaporative cooling is very cost effective for greenhouses in desert climates. Works great in the west and southwest. Does not work in humid southeast or Louisiana. Humidity has to drop below 95% for swamp coolers to work. Efficiency is excellent when humidity is below 60 %.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a place to get all those gadgets for the greenhouse.

Vent openers, at least one or two of your vent openers should be the wax filled type that was pictured previously because they work even if power is out. Key is, plan for power failures.

Swamp coolers, these are vertical mounted pads, that have water trickle onto the pad at the top, and a fan blows air through or across the pad. Also available from greenhouse supply stores. Evaporative cooling is very cost effective for greenhouses in desert climates. Works great in the west and southwest. Does not work in humid southeast or Louisiana. Humidity has to drop below 95% for swamp coolers to work. Efficiency is excellent when humidity is below 60 %.

VERY familiar with swamp coolers out here. I helped my dad and my friend get theirs running last spring. I need to see about one for the house before the seasons change and prices go up.
I was just unfamiliar with the wax filled automatic vent openers. I'd only heard of the motorized ones before. People around here generally only have small ones in the yard for extending growing seasons, unless they're the big professional greenhouses, then it's usually the electric.

I will definitely be perusing this site for ideas, though.
Thanks!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Almost forgot that I took these the other day. 😋
IMG_20220118_165623_563.jpg
👆The garage door from the inside, conveniently colocated with the back door, and only a couple places from my desk.
The door from the outside 👇
IMG_20220118_165553_426.jpg
This is what I'm working with.
The idea had been posited of replacing the panels in the door itself with lexan or plexiglass, then the plants could be kept on rolling shelves inside, but I see that being potentially more problematic instead of less.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can you explain why in a bit more detail?

I thought your original idea was to create a structure outside? Was the original idea to put everything inside?

cheers
DSD sends

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you explain why in a bit more detail?

I thought your original idea was to create a structure outside? Was the original idea to put everything inside?

cheers
DSD sends
Yes. that was one of the first thoughts. The garage door faces south, so would get plenty of light for any plants.

The reasons I'm not as keen on that idea is it would make the entire inside of the building extra hot in the warmer months- a very real problem in this climate- and not get as many hours of sunlight during the day in the winter months. It would also chew into out indoor usable floorspace, which could cause competition between staff for square footage.
Anyway, my background in communications has me thinking that the idea of a slightly separate space, away from staff and other students, would be appealing to students, and thus an incentive to stay more engaged with a greenhouse than a glorified window planter.
Also, being a glorified window may have a clear garage door crossing the gray line of the school's security policies, and it might wind up being covered in privacy screen eventually, negating the whole point of the project. A greenhouse that's technically outside the building, however, gets around all these issues.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cool thread.
I’ve enjoyed reading it.

I’m a HS science teacher in NW Florida.
I have lots of planted aquariums in my classroom (lo-tech dirted aquariums actually - Walstad style), but just starting my Bonsai journey.

My department has a small attached greenhouse adjacent to my classroom where we keep a koi aquaponics pond that we use to grow tomatoes. I’ve been scoping it out to commandeer for Bonsai.

We have a full size greenhouse too out by the cow pasture and goat barn in the Ag Dept that I can “borrow” from, but it’s quite a distance away from my classroom (it’s a very big campus).

It’s very cool to see other teachers using Bonsai as a teaching opportunity and working on a greenhouse!
Keep up the great work!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool thread.
I’ve enjoyed reading it.

I’m a HS science teacher in NW Florida.
I have lots of planted aquariums in my classroom (lo-tech dirted aquariums actually - Walstad style), but just starting my Bonsai journey.

My department has a small attached greenhouse adjacent to my classroom where we keep a koi aquaponics pond that we use to grow tomatoes. I’ve been scoping it out to commandeer for Bonsai.

We have a full size greenhouse too out by the cow pasture and goat barn in the Ag Dept that I can “borrow” from, but it’s quite a distance away from my classroom (it’s a very big campus).

It’s very cool to see other teachers using Bonsai as a teaching opportunity and working on a greenhouse!
Keep up the great work!
Thanks!
I'm just a para, but I actually like the extra leeway being seen as the lowly peon can provide. 😜
We're not the only educators around here. @AZbonsai did a summer program with elementary students last year (I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link) and @Flowerhouse is constantly trying to remind me of how to be more professional, but I work at an alternative school with mostly troubled teens so it never rubs off. 😂

I don't imagine for a second that this whole idea of mine will stay purely bonsai. I foresee veggies, flowers, and anything else that keeps students involved.
This was never really intended to be my own personal thread, so if you want to share anything you're doing, feel free.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks!
I'm just a para, but I actually like the extra leeway being seen as the lowly peon can provide. 😜
We're not the only educators around here. @AZbonsai did a summer program with elementary students last year (I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link) and @Flowerhouse is constantly trying to remind me of how to be more professional, but I work at an alternative school with mostly troubled teens so it never rubs off. 😂

I don't imagine for a second that this whole idea of mine will stay purely bonsai. I foresee veggies, flowers, and anything else that keeps students involved.
This was never really intended to be my own personal thread, so if you want to share anything you're doing, feel free.
“Just a para”... stop it.
You are absolutely essential and it takes a special person to do what you do, so thank you.

Anything that gets the kids off of SnapChat and gets them engaged is good, right? Whether it’s Bonsai or veggies or my fish and aquatic plants or random stuff that I’m always “experimenting” and tinkering with.

And thanks, I’ll be watching for their posts and threads.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I decided lining the walls with track shelving would be beneficial. Ventilated wire shelves, adjustable, many varieties of shelving and other utilities available.
That's another $1000 on its own for the basics. 😓

Pushing $3000 now, which will be a hard sell when we can't guarantee it'll see long term use. Teenagers are fickle beasts, but if we build it for versatility we can roll with whatever interests keep them engaged this year. In that vein, I'm aiming to do this thing right.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aaaand purple
IMG_20220207_105529_709.jpg
As of now there are the two bougies left, a Barbados cherry, and, of course, ALL the jades.
I think it's about time for reporting as soon as it warms up slightly. They all could use better soil, and better conditions in general. I'm working on how to get a proper light and growing environment going for them, because what I have right now isn't quite cutting it.

Top Bottom