Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
2-year update!

25E33356-625B-4468-8A49-E45E27D1A8B7.jpeg
9365E86A-C472-4290-B32F-8CAEE70EF91C.jpeg

A few thoughts: The right side has not progressed as quickly as the left side. The canopy also seems unbalanced. I would like the entire canopy to be more compact. I think this summer I will give it a very hard prune to reset all the branching :)

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice, TJ. While a cut back to compact the top is a good idea. I think the lower branches need to be left to run. Sacrifices on the lowest branches will help thicken them so they are more in proportion to the powerful trunk. This is on it's way to becoming a very nice shohin.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Weird that the right side is growing slower. Does it get rotated frequently on the bench?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Always blown away at the rate of development of tropicals. Perhaps I should give my F. benjamina a big chop this summer...

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice, TJ. While a cut back to compact the top is a good idea. I think the lower branches need to be left to run. Sacrifices on the lowest branches will help thicken them so they are more in proportion to the powerful trunk. This is on it's way to becoming a very nice shohin.

Great point! I totally agree. I’d like those bottom branches to thicken up quite a bit!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How do you care for your tropicals in winter? Forgive me if you’ve posted about this somewhere before.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How do you care for your tropicals in winter? Forgive me if you’ve posted about this somewhere before.

It’s nothing fancy - I just put them by a south-facing window!
95BEAEA4-605D-43E1-A4DD-F8B116356185.jpeg

There’s also another window in the kitchen that is larger and better, but I can only use that one when my wife is at work 😁

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Alright, it’s decided then: if you can have this much success without a dedicated indoor grow setup, I’m going to get ti “bonsai-ing” my house plant F. benjamina. Great trees, do those ficuses gave threads?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Alright, it’s decided then: if you can have this much success without a dedicated indoor grow setup, I’m going to get ti “bonsai-ing” my house plant F. benjamina. Great trees, do those ficuses gave threads?

Thanks and have fun with your ficus! Yes mine have threads:

“Colorado’s Ficus Wiandi” and “Colorado’s Tiger Bark Ficus” 😃

Top Bottom