Escambron Shohin Progression

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@JuniperSol how is your Escambron doing? Has yours flowered for you? I feel like I am probably cutting off all the flower buds with this frequent pruning…

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@JuniperSol how is your Escambron doing? Has yours flowered for you? I feel like I am probably cutting off all the flower buds with this frequent pruning…
I've yet to see a single one of mine bloom. I'm not entirely sure why. They're doing great nonetheless.

1658764409582.png
1658764434332.png
1658764465755.png

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After studying this tree more, I’m thinking that maybe the best front is actually the current “back.”

3C0D2D93-7C74-48B8-A9B0-0E7FC001BE2E.jpeg

As you can see, this side has some large cuts that are dead and will never heal over. I decided to try to hollow them out a bit to add interest. I used a Dremel and did some light carving. Will let it age a bit and then come back later and carve more. I applied some lime sulfer after carving, but still some dark spots from where the bit burned the wood. Those will even out over time, I think.
EEAC4E83-2BC7-4881-842B-E10EE41599B8.jpeg

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After studying this tree more, I’m thinking that maybe the best front is actually the current “back.”

View attachment 452172

As you can see, this side has some large cuts that are dead and will never heal over. I decided to try to hollow them out a bit to add interest. I used a Dremel and did some light carving. Will let it age a bit and then come back later and carve more. I applied some lime sulfer after carving, but still some dark spots from where the bit burned the wood. Those will even out over time, I think.
View attachment 452174
I like it!
Carving is next on my bonsai skill list to learn. I don’t even own Dremel. Lol
I’m not sure if there’s any books out there specific to carving bonsai, but I could definitely benefit from reading them. Especially any that involves power tools.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it!
I’m not sure if there’s any books out there specific to carving bonsai, but I could definitely benefit from reading them. Especially any that involves power tools.
Check out content from Harry Harrington and Will Baddely. @BobbyLane has posted some great carving work here on the forum also!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it!

Good reference material from Stone Lantern. I have this book and it's pretty informative.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now in its winter quarters for the next 6-7 months. It has continued to put on new growth since bringing it inside a few weeks ago. Needs a trim and some wire. I’ll do that some time in the next few weeks.

Growing, but look at those internodes! You're giving me a preview of what mine will be doing after I bring it inside this week. Great little tree you have there.

Re escambron in general, the predictability of their response to pruning makes it feel almost like cheating. It makes me face the shortcomings in my own aesthetic sense. No blaming the tree with these!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Growing, but look at those internodes! You're giving me a preview of what mine will be doing after I bring it inside this week. Great little tree you have there.

Re escambron in general, the predictability of their response to pruning makes it feel almost like cheating. It makes me face the shortcomings in my own aesthetic sense. No blaming the tree with these!

Yes, you can see the difference in internode length! I had been giving it full sun this summer. The leaves are TINY. I think the smallest leaves of any tree in my collection.

Will probably end up needing to prune off the leggy indoor growth next year. Oh well, I’m happy to keep it growing, continue thickening and generating back budding. It’s popped a bunch of buds on old wood, on the trunk itself, since I acquired about a year ago.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, you can see the difference in internode length! I had been giving it full sun this summer. The leaves are TINY. I think the smallest leaves of any tree in my collection.

I love the small leaves and fast growth. It behaves just the opposite of many other small-leafed species when it comes to vigor.

Regarding sun, I had Jerry Meislik tell me a couple years ago that, at high elevations, tropical species will appreciate some shade. This year, after moving to SLC, I put all my tropicals on a west-facing deck with a polycarbonate roof that only gets direct sunlight for a few hours of the day. You are at about the same elevation and latitude as I am - maybe a few hundred feet higher - and you go with full sun. Have you tried it both ways, and do you have an opinion on the subject?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love the small leaves and fast growth. It behaves just the opposite of many other small-leafed species when it comes to vigor.

Regarding sun, I had Jerry Meislik tell me a couple years ago that, at high elevations, tropical species will appreciate some shade. This year, after moving to SLC, I put all my tropicals on a west-facing deck with a polycarbonate roof that only gets direct sunlight for a few hours of the day. You are at about the same elevation and latitude as I am - maybe a few hundred feet higher - and you go with full sun. Have you tried it both ways, and do you have an opinion on the subject?
Well, I certainly wouldn’t argue with Mr. Meislik about it. :)

I have tried a couple different exposure sites in my garden for tropicals generally. I have found that some species do appreciate some shade. For the escambron, I started it off in full sun and it never showed any signs of weakness, scorch, wilting, etc. It was growing well with tiny leaves and short internodes so I didn’t see a need to try any shade with the escambron.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like to keep on top of pruning this tree because otherwise it tends to send out very strong shoots. I’m aiming for more even distribution of strength. So, pruned it again at our little study group with @Ranitomeya to keep the super strong areas in check

Before
376F2C79-C0CD-4612-B777-B10032ED5E9E.jpeg

After Pruning
00C8013F-E114-4A71-8A5D-A5991F7DB1AA.jpeg

Top Bottom