EUROPEAN BEECH (red cultivar)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
European beech just pushing out leaves now. This one and the zelkova are the very last trees to flush out in my garden. Always love those reddish leaves against the smooth white bark. More exposure to direct sunlight brings out the red. Otherwise they will tend to be more on the greener side under more shaded conditions. Probably two of the "smartest" trees in my collection as we had freezes up until about two weeks ago.

IMG_8402 copy.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

IMG_8406.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
European beech just pushing out leaves now. This one and the zelkova are the very last trees to flush out in my garden. Always love those reddish leaves against the smooth white bark. More exposure to direct sunlight brings out the red. Otherwise they will tend to be more on the greener side under more shaded conditions. Probably two of the "smartest" trees in my collection as we had freezes up until about two weeks ago.

View attachment 375124

View attachment 375121

View attachment 375122

View attachment 375123
Incredible to see this tree in person! It has such an elegant feel and a striking presence!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
She is soooo pretty in the spring. I may have to come visit someday!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The stand works very well with this tree also Sergio. Just a lovely composition.

I’m sure you’ve posted it before Sergio, but what type of camera do you shoot with? And do you have photo specific lights that you use for every shoot? Would you ever be willing to start a thread or add to the resources section of this site, what you do when photographing your trees? Asking for a friend...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The stand works very well with this tree also Sergio. Just a lovely composition.

I’m sure you’ve posted it before Sergio, but what type of camera do you shoot with? And do you have photo specific lights that you use for every shoot? Would you ever be willing to start a thread or add to the resources section of this site, what you do when photographing your trees? Asking for a friend...

Danny, @Lars Grimm had asked me a while back if I'd be willing to do a tutorial on my approach to photographing my trees. I told him I'd be willing to do a zoom for free to walk anyone through my process. But honestly I do need someone to organize that for me. I am way too busy these days to be able to pull it off by myself. Perhaps more useful to make a thread? But it may be a while before I am able to it.

I use a Canon Rebel T4i point and shoot camera. One of the old ones BTW. The type of camera does not matter much as it's the actual post editing that's more important. Every photo that I post has been edited to one degree or another to ensure that the image comes as close a possible to what it looks like in person.

We all work very hard on our trees. It only makes sense to me that your work is well represented in photos. If we think about it, that's mostly what the world sees and not the actual thing!

I do hear folks saying that taking photos is not their thing or forte. Neither is mine! I am not a professional photographer by any stretch of the imagination. My process of editing photos could probably make any pro shake their head in dismay. But... in the end I do get just what I need.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny, @Lars Grimm had asked me a while back if I'd be willing to do a tutorial on my approach to photographing my trees. I told him I'd be willing to do a zoom for free to walk anyone through my process. But honestly I do need someone to organize that for me. I am way too busy these days to be able to pull it off by myself. Perhaps more useful to make a thread? But it may be a while before I am able to it.

I use a Canon Rebel T4i point and shoot camera. One of the old ones BTW. The type of camera does not matter much as it's the actual post editing that's more important. Every photo that I post has been edited to one degree or another to ensure that the image comes as close a possible to what it looks like in person.

We all work very hard on our trees. It only makes sense to me that your work is well represented in photos. If we think about it, that's mostly what the world sees and not the actual thing!

I do hear folks saying that taking photos is not their thing or forte. Neither is mine! I am not a professional photographer by any stretch of the imagination. My process of editing photos could probably make any pro shake their head in dismay. But... in the end I do get just what I need.
As always Sergio, I GREATLY appreciate your response. I completely understand the time constraints. I hope me asking did not come off as offensive as I greatly appreciate what you already contribute to this forum. I also, as a full time artist myself, recognize how valuable our time is on a day to day and in no way do I want you to think I take that for granted or don’t appreciate your time. I would def, if enough of us would be into the idea, be willing to pay for a zoom meet up with you to show us what you do and how you do it with you photography prowess. Thanks as always Sergio!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As always Sergio, I GREATLY appreciate your response. I completely understand the time constraints. I hope me asking did not come off as offensive as I greatly appreciate what you already contribute to this forum. I also, as a full time artist myself, recognize how valuable our time is on a day to day and in no way do I want you to think I take that for granted or don’t appreciate your time. I would def, if enough of us would be into the idea, be willing to pay for a zoom meet up with you to show us what you do and how you do it with you photography prowess. Thanks as always Sergio!

Please, no worries at all Danny. No offense taken whatsoever! Feel free to ask me anytime 🙏I am here to learn and share. Again happy to do a free tutorial for anyone that may be interested.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am familiar with removing the terminal buds. This is one technique I use in late winter (not fall) which seems to be effective as all beech are apically and distally very dominant. I am going to try this year to do it in the fall and compare.

Greetings! Did you try this eventually? Is there a significant difference whether it is done in autumn or in spring?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Greetings! Did you try this eventually? Is there a significant difference whether it is done in autumn or in spring?

Can't say that I have seen any significant difference but that doesn't mean that there are no benefits. In the last couple of years I have been changing my pruning strategy. I think fall is a better time, as the tree has ample time to reallocate its resources back to dormant and/or weaker buds before spring rolls in. I am doing this with pretty much all deciduous species.

Top Bottom