EUROPEAN BEECH (red cultivar)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hornbeam is easy to ramnify. Let them grow, and mid-spring, cut back and they will pop buds all over. Or, if you need extention, partial defoliation.

Got it. Yeah, it seemed to me like maybe just being aware of bud placement during pruning was the main thing but some people (not here) keep trying to convince me there’s something secret and hard about it so I’m sitting here like “it can’t just be directional pruning can it”

sounds like it can!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe the beech in your garden are different but any beech I have seen, there is no teasing the sprout open. And there is only one leaf anyway.
View attachment 422597
That is not an opening bud.

Somewhere I have pictures and I intent to make a video of the process in spring once the buds are opening, in late april probably, for those beeches where I did not clip the terminals.

My beeches have typically 6 (4-8) leaves in all buds

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe the beech in your garden are different but any beech I have seen, there is no teasing the sprout open. And there is only one leaf anyway.
View attachment 422597
When the buds start to swell, and swell they will, they will start to shoot and produce quite a few leaves. Pinch all but 2 of them and the tree should backbud.

I have a Literati style Beech and an Informal Upright Beech that I’m planning to try this technique on this spring to get the branches shortened and the internodes tighter…

6E097BC6-F297-4E02-B758-49F49632CC58.jpeg5AAFC7DE-DE53-453A-9299-6ED7C0934B42.jpegB50F0FC1-0F87-49FB-B359-776AE7D6A137.jpeg

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You realize that both of those questions of late were directed to Sergio in his thread? And part of later conversation was about American beech. But yet you spoke up and answered!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m so in love with this little tree. I’m a huge fan of Beech and I have a bunch to play with now. I always seem to miss the time to pinch because they are swollen, then open, then the roots irrupt out of them before I managed to pinch them. Any other ideas to get back buddy? I’ve considered cutting back to two Dash three to see what happens because they are very difficult for me to keep compact…

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always seem to miss the time to pinch because they are swollen, then open, then the roots irrupt out of them before I managed to pinch them. Any other ideas to get back buddy?
Beach will reliably backbud on old wood if you prune long branches off in winter. I have done it on 2 of my beaches that had lost all sense of bonsaihood. At the time I purposely removed all terminal buds, to ensure the tree would be forced to create new buds. I am not sure what happens if you only hard-prune a part of the tree.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Vinnie Charity , I treat European beech differently than Japanese. In my experience Japanese beech tends to be a bit more "finicky" specially when dealing with older specimens. They won't back bud as reliably as with European beech which tend to be more vigorous. Below are a couple of photos to show you what happens when you cut the strong terminal buds. I usually do this in late winter. This action encourages the tree to back bud. I have also done leaf cutting (eliminate 3/4 of the leaf surface) which promotes back budding as well. Make sure you are always working with a healthy tree.

tempImagesqoOg5.png

tempImagea9zOPr.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Vinnie Charity , I treat European beech differently than Japanese. In my experience Japanese beech tends to be a bit more "finicky" specially when dealing with older specimens. They won't back bud as reliably as with European beech which tend to be more vigorous. Below are a couple of photos to show you what happens when you cut the strong terminal buds. I usually do this in late winter. This action encourages the tree to back bud. I have also done leaf cutting (eliminate 3/4 of the leaf surface) which promotes back budding as well. Make sure you are always working with a healthy tree.

View attachment 438858

View attachment 438859
I was planning to cut back to 2-3 leaves now but do you think I should wait until late winter?

I dug up quite a few beeches this spring, some of which are finger thick, one is about an inch and a half thick, so I do have quite a few to play with. Thanks as always for your advice, it is well received…

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was planning to cut back to 2-3 leaves now but do you think I should wait until late winter?

I dug up quite a few beeches this spring, some of which are finger thick, one is about an inch and a half thick, so I do have quite a few to play with. Thanks as always for your advice, it is well received…

You can cut back now.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fall update:

Not much to report except the tree continues to grow and develop really well. Next spring will be repotted probably into the same container. I really enjoy its tall, graceful and feminine appearance.

IMG_2397 copy.jpg

IMG_2500 copy.jpg

And here she's dancing with a Japanese maple!

IMG_2507 copy.jpg

Top Bottom