European Hornbeam (Carpinus Betulus)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And then there was more growth.. I thought I had updated, clearly not.

Some older pics, between last September and now:

DSC_0989 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_0992 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[10/11/19]

DSC_1094 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[23/11/19]

DSC_1157 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1181 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1183 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[09/12/19]

DSC_1459 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[31/03/2020]

DSC_1490 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[03/04/2020]​

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And now, leaves unfurling, ready to go. Excited to see it over the next few months:

DSC_1524 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1525 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1526 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1527 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[07/04/2020]

DSC_1601 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1602 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1603 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1606 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1607 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
Hows that backdrop and clear pictures for you ya @BobbyLane ;). I am proper cocky that I cracked how to take a good pic with backdrop lol.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the back drop is 'suitable'....now clean all the dead weeds and most from outta your pots!:D:D

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This has developed some small amounts of what seems to be powdery mildew..
I’ve prune away a few more shoots and leaves, naturally, and sprayed with Rose clear for now. Hopefully it’ll go away. It is apparently highly contagious and this + my larger hornbeam which has more of it, are nearly the other trees. There’s not much I can do in the way of moving around, so hopefully spraying will help.

I think it was caused by the recent humid temperatures + lack of airflow through the tree, it’s fairly dense, hence the The second pruning And leaf thinning now.

596C9342-2BE7-431B-8308-749458515EAC.jpeg15443B8F-B52F-43EE-BCF8-A2E88F1CB142.jpeg34D4835D-6B50-4DD9-8C3D-3F8DD78DA752.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i would also repot in spring, i bought a few of these at the same time and mine already had the nursery soil reduced and the soil replenished. i would cut into the root ball in spring and put into a suitable sized bonsai training pot. you can see the types of pots i use on my trees. the soil is a bit muggy and this can impact on conditions above like mildew. combined with airflow issues above especially if your just letting it grow without defining any sort of structure.

i bought this one, after i picked up yours. you can see from the progression how its been transitioned into a suitable bonsai pot, reducing the nursery soil each time. yours is overdue

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i would also repot in spring, i bought a few of these at the same time and mine already had the nursery soil reduced and the soil replenished. i would cut into the root ball in spring and put into a suitable sized bonsai training pot. you can see the types of pots i use on my trees. the soil is a bit muggy and this can impact on conditions above like mildew. combined with airflow issues above especially if your just letting it grow without defining any sort of structure.

i bought this one, after i picked up yours. you can see from the progression how its been transitioned into a suitable bonsai pot, reducing the nursery soil each time. yours is overdue

Yeah potentially could have been done this year, this is only my 2nd year with it. Aside from any misc issues that may have happened in the roots, it shouldn't be root bound and be causing issues due to that, but anything else may have occurred.

It is not growing unrestricted, no. It has been being pruned for structure for the past 2 years. Pictures above show :).
I will have an updated pic of this tomorrow.
Yeah I think your big belly hornbeam is ahead in development, for some reason I remember us talking about this and knowing it is 1 growing stage, dunno. No matter, mine will develop in time, no rush to things.

Will certainly repot in Spring though. Will be doing a few, including the big multi trunk hornbeam too.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one is developing fine for now. Looking forward to winter to be able to adjust branches and overall style, better.
At the moment, plenty of foliage. Has some older leaves still on, as I saw no reason to remove. More foliage + more energy being generated for the tree.

I will be repoting in Spring, to Akadama and Pumice, and hope to plant leaning back more.
Last pic shows example of the kind of lean. Currently it is leaning forward too much.

DSC_2090 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2087 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2085 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2088 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree. I am a little sad for the massive scars on it. Is the bark growing back over it?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the trunk on this was purposely hollowed out and a few uros made. there was no intention for healing scars. some people like this look and some people dont;)

i think its good to have a variety though, i find it kind of odd that some people get really hung up about this.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice little tree. I am a little sad for the massive scars on it. Is the bark growing back over it?

It'll grow over it eventually... I won't be alive, unsure if any of us here on this forum, will be alive, but it will eventually grow over :).
Not a concern for me, its a feature.

Also the back looks quite good too, once I have re positioned in the pot, the back could even become the front, if someone wanted it to be.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree developed a good bit of mildew this year, along with its large, multi trunked, adopted brother.
It had some new leaves, enough for me to partially defoliate it, on August 11th.
Apologies if pics are unclear, I am not trying to show branch structure, simply the overall image of the tree, remaining leaves.

IMG_1826 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

IMG_1827 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

IMG_1828 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Bad leaves removed..
IMG_1830 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its response has been good, was the best result I had hoped for, pictures taken 5 minutes ago.

DSC_2326 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2328 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2334 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

It does however still have the mildew problem:
DSC_2329 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr DSC_2330 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2336 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I have tried everything I had to hand, to combat the mildew this year, without affect. As I noticed this mildew spreading more, on this tree, yesterday, I slaughtered it with a LS spray and have left it separated from others. Will see if it helps (tried LS before).
But, no big deal. Shortly, the leaves will start to drop any way as we enter Autumn.

Over Winter, ill be applying winter sprays of LS, as is common practice (which I've never done before), then in spring, as buds are starting to move but not open, ill spray again to combat for future.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you keep these?
I have 2, one in more shaded position and one in full sun. The one in full sun doesn't grow much, but crisps in summer. The one in the more sheltered position grows more, but gets very dewwy in summer if the weather is moist. Aaah!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really nice tree, well done, looking really healthy.
I have some small one, maybe inch thick trunk, but they are in full sun and they dont look as good as yours, the leaves are nearly yellow and pale.....

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where do you keep these?
I have 2, one in more shaded position and one in full sun. The one in full sun doesn't grow much, but crisps in summer. The one in the more sheltered position grows more, but gets very dewwy in summer if the weather is moist. Aaah!

They are both kept in full sun, all day. Sun hits them and my bench at about 8am, during summer, the sun would then leave about 6pm.

The larger multi trunk, was kept too bushy and over grown, which would have helped the mildew to develop. Also, I believe the roots need some attention and care, which may also be the case with this hornbeam. Has been in that pot now for 3+ years. Both being repotted in Spring.
I basically keep everything in full sun, unless very hot then things like Maples are moved.

Next year going to be having maples in shade more, see if I have better luck with them.... but another story!

Really nice tree, well done, looking really healthy.
I have some small one, maybe inch thick trunk, but they are in full sun and they dont look as good as yours, the leaves are nearly yellow and pale.....

Thanks, its not as healthy as it should be, next year hopefully better... this will also be cut back a bit harder in winter, I've mistakes to fix from previous bad knowledge. They should be fine in full sun, I guess just down to the substrate and ensuring they are always watered enough. Next year for us both, will be better :)

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cheers,

I have 3 in 1 big bowl so maybe that the issue, i planning to plant one in the ground and split the other 2, we will see, fingers crossed, hope yours will recover from mildew.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great tree and thanks for the progression! I personally like the uro/deadwood feature on this tree. It makes me feel like I’m looking at a tree that has struggled, but managed to survive in an old forest.

I particularly like the silhouette on the angle/front from the picture in your dining room with the candelabra behind it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree Conor. In this case I prefer the side with the deadwood but turned slightly sideways so that is not squarely in your face.

For mildew have you tried Mancozeb?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cheers,

I have 3 in 1 big bowl so maybe that the issue, i planning to plant one in the ground and split the other 2, we will see, fingers crossed, hope yours will recover from mildew.

Ah yes, big thing with mildew is airflow, so bushy trees, lack of air and light inside = mildew. Definitely was part of my problem this year, lesson learnt!

Great tree and thanks for the progression! I personally like the uro/deadwood feature on this tree. It makes me feel like I’m looking at a tree that has struggled, but managed to survive in an old forest.

I particularly like the silhouette on the angle/front from the picture in your dining room with the candelabra behind it.
Thanks, I see which one you mean, I believe it is just about the same angle Mach is mentioning also.

Nice tree Conor. In this case I prefer the side with the deadwood but turned slightly sideways so that is not squarely in your face.

For mildew have you tried Mancozeb?

Thanks Mach, appreciate it. I believe you mean this angle?
1599154414078.png

The tree also has a bit of an ugly bulge at the bottom, back of the tree. I was hoping to plant ever so slightly at different angle, in Spring, like this:
1599154648539.png

So, still leaning towards viewing but less so. I think its leaning too much at the moment, and I don't like it.

I've not heard of Mancozeb before, looking it up, looks like its a little tough to find for UK (given that Amazon don't stock it) perhaps its a US thing, more than UK? Ill certainly keep my eye out for that though. Sounds like quite a wide fungicide treatment, which is good. Thanks for recommendation :)

Top Bottom