Ever seen scale growth on a procumbens?

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I had never head about mature foliage as a result of being pot bound, that's interesting, too bad they revert when re-potted. I have a little procumbens that throws some mature foliage and it's far from pot bound. Perhaps there is some genetic element to it? or some other external factor. It would be amazing if they could keep their mature foliage though.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're interested, @MichaelS had University Studies showing the difference between Procumbins and San Jose, one which gets scale foliage and one which doesn't, which was heavily argued by some.

May be able to search it.

Sorce
Michael S. cant tell the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground.
I don't believe a word he says.
It's all just hooey

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's all just hooey
Whenever I see posts by him, I always think of the scene from Forrest Gump when he is done telling the story to the man and woman on the bench. The man gets up laughing, and the woman says "it's such a nice story and you tell it so well."

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's all just hooey
@sorce, San Jose has coarser foliage than Procumbens. Procumbens also has more of a “ground cover” growing habit.

I know MichaelS is insistent about how Procumbens never goes scale. But, it does. It doesn’t matter who he cites, or what any University says. I’ve seen it. Just because HE hasn’t doesn’t mean anything.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just came into 2 procumbens planted together yesterday. Small amounts of scale here and there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FY²I

I don't care about the argument....

I care about sending OP down the rabbit hole to learn whatever he finds.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FY²I

I don't care about the argument....

Sorce
Then why are you posting about it?

Look, there is SO MUCH misinformation about bonsai. Let’s all try to promote the hobby in a positive way by calling out the BS! So, MichaelS has never seen Procumbens with scale foliage. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen!

There are lots of people who have posted on this thread they HAVE seen it happen.

So, who to believe? One guy who trying to prove a negative? Or several people who have seen scale foliage on a Procumbens?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is how I got it yesterday. No pot and our first freeze. I'll get closer pics of the scale folage tommorow.
If you zoom in...

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_170223378.jpg
    IMG_20191031_170223378.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 56

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whenever I see posts by him, I always think of the scene from Forrest Gump when he is done telling the story to the man and woman on the bench. The man gets up laughing, and the woman says "it's such a nice story and you tell it so well."
Whenever I see posts by you I skip past them (this one excepted) because I know that they written by someone who has deluded himself that he has something notewrothy to say.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's all just hooey
Poor old you. What's it feel like having the wit of an insect?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There were around 20 of them in 3 gal. cans around 2’+ wide mid year at the nursery I work at. They all were typical aside. Some of these had sparse pockets of exterior growth scale foliage, maybe ~8 of them. These pockets or such looked like the initial post by @cheap_walmart_art, just an exterior (apical for lack) extension of scale growth. I thought it odd but just what they did.

I worked on three of these with the best-ish looking trunks before digging too deep -these were in something akin to heavy loose pine soil conditioner an sand. Roots primarily occupied the central to upper third of the pot and were healthy.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
woops

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know MichaelS is insistent about how Procumbens never goes scale. But, it does. It doesn’t matter who he cites, or what any University says. I’ve seen it. Just because HE hasn’t doesn’t mean anything.

Well saying it ''doesn't mean anything'' is just plain stupid. Of course it means SOMEthing. That fact having been in the industry for so long and having seen so many thousands of specimens of procumbens, I have never seen scale foliage on any of then regardless of how they were grown or their age should not be dismissed out of hand as being irrelevant. There are a number of possibilities. One possible one is the we are talking about to different genotypes or clones. It is not unlikely that 2 different forms of the one species are in circulation in the nursery industry in the US and AU. I am willing to accept that the one you talk about is not San hose. (in my experience San hose tends to have many ''bumps'' or root primordials on some of the vigorous stems and some of the examples of '''procumbens'' I have seen on here do indeed have these. Procumbens never has these) but to say that my observation does not mean anything is moronic and you should have higher standards Adair. Those simplistic kick backs are more in line with Frary and Coh but not you.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poor old you. What's it feel like having the wit of an insect?
You going to "prove" that procumbens don't get scale foliage again?
I'll wait to see what you got this time before I call you a moron again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then why are you posting about it?

As stated already.

Well this is contradictory on the verge of straight stupid.
Let’s all try to promote the hobby in a positive way by calling out the BS

So, who to believe?

He's not trying to prove a negative. Why would a fact, if true, be negative?

No important, the point is....

How can all these folks that have seen scale foliage on Procumbins provr they were viewing Procumbins?

Are they professional juniper identifiers?

No.

Still much more likely they weren't Procumbins.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any of y'all have the opportunity to prove it is actually Procumbins you are viewing.

But you just keep talking shit.

You can't say procbims goes scale.

You must prove what you are looking at is actually Procumbins.

Not because a label says so.

If you can't, at least entertain a possible fact.

That is all.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whenever I see posts by you I skip past them (this one excepted) because I know that they written by someone who has deluded himself that he has something notewrothy to say.
So you actually read all of his posts.
And you commented on this one.
Not only are you ignorant about junipers you also are a liar.
You've never seen scale foliage on a procumbens?
Or a San Jose?
Which one.
They will both grow adult foliage.
You really ought to get out of your safe space and look around some.
Maybe you could learn something useful here.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are they professional juniper identifiers?
Pretty much.
MichaelS surely isn't.
He can't even tell the difference between San Jose and procumbens.
He is an idiot know it all and has been called out again.
Adair,Vance and I have both seen this.

Top Bottom