Evergreen Gardenworks Shimpaku #3 (the problem child)

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another progression to start, as I've come to see how valuable they can be for both documenting the evolution of a tree and soliciting additional perspectives from this community.

This juniper was purchased from Brent in the spring of 2018 (part of a bundled deal on three junipers).

The tree has some features, including some movement down low, jin here and there that can be enhanced. But it also significant problems, like long straight sections of the trunk, sparse foliage, super thick back branch. I still was drawn to the tree.

As advertise from Brent on his site:

Shimpaku 3 as advertised.JPG

When the tree showed up, I was pleased to see it had put on some foliage density compared to the advertise picture. I applied, rather sloppily, some wire to start getting some movement in the sparse branches. Started playing with potential new potting angles:

Shimpaku wired summer 2018.JPG

Last edited:

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree was more or less neglected in 2019. The only thing I did was to introduce some shari at the base, cleaned the flaking bark, and pruned off parts of the really massive back branch.

In the spring of 2020, I did some more pruning and wiring and contemplation of new potting angles that bring the tree more upright:
2020 Angle 3.JPG2020 Angle 4.JPG2020 angle 1.JPG2020 Angle 2.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And then I re-potted to get it out of the fir bark and perlite and into 1:1:1. I didn't want to prune the roots too heavily given the substantial soil change, so I didn't have a very suitable pot. Ended up just throwing it in a mica round.

When I got it all wired in and got the soil settled with chops sticks... I stepped bak and realized to totally failed to change the potting angle.

I should have pulled it out and started over, but elected to leave it another year.

Shimpaku 3 June 2020.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The tree will be fully wired in the late winter early spring of 2021. Hopefully I can find a suitable pot for it by then, too.

I am open to suggestions for what you might think would serve as a suitable pot.

Noah

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Annual update. Modest progress. But, overall, I think it's coming along as compared to the starting point when I got it in 2018 (first picture in thread).

Still working on both refining pads and elongating specific branches. Long side on the right and trying to keep left side branches shorter. Also jinned the former apex to create a lower structure moving back towards the left.

In march I placed into a new semi-nanban pot made by a friend of mine here in Iowa City. It's a nice pot, but sadly someone's project placed above his in the kiln dripped onto this pot (white streak). will rotate that blemish to the back when re-potted next.

Also still playing with the front... rotating a bit here and there to see what might be best in the long run. Still prefer the first picture/front above the second pictured potential front.

Shimpaku 3 august 2021-1.jpgShimpaku 3 august 2021-2.jpg

Last edited:

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree! Progressing well. Couple of thoughts…I think you can go much shallower at your next repot. And two, I think that apex should be going to the right. Your defining branch goes right. It leans right. So I think the apex should follow. Thanks for posting!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice looking Juniper.. when you wire next I’d reduce the foliage to keep light hitting inner foliage, and some negative space. Also wire third branch from top right finer branches and finer branches above defining branch bottom right to incorporate that as a layer

Attachments

• 618FC5C1-1284-40C3-B7AB-0048D0785ED7.jpeg
    618FC5C1-1284-40C3-B7AB-0048D0785ED7.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
2022 update. Still battling the problem child. Not a dramatic advance, just some work to cut heavy branches back to finer growth and thin the unneeded and downward growth.

But I did split the trunk at the top 1/4 section of the tree in an effort to impart (the illusion of) more movement to the painfully thick, straight section up high.

Also cannot decide on the angle. I think I prefer the leftward tilt that bring the tree more upright. Obviously the leader and branches need to be pushed around some more to accommodate this.

Pictures (L to R) are from 2021, today, and tilted today.

Thoughts from the nut gallery?

Shimpaku 3 august 2021-1.jpgShimpaku 3 June 2022.jpgShimpaku 3 tilted June 2022.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think part of your challenge is not with the apex, but rather with the flat two primary branches. The bottom of the foliage forms a plane and there is no clear weight left or right. If you tilt the tree (like #3 image above) the first thing you gain is the illusion of the left primary branch being lower while the right is higher. Immediately you start to think about lengthening the left primary branch, while pulling in the foliage above the right branch to bring it into balance.

Shimpaku-style.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Butlern Shimp no 3.jpeg Butlern Shimp no 3.jpeg
I don't have good software for this, and can't tell enough about the darker back facing branch near top
but here's what I'd do, by 1st jinning the "current apex"? centering with a new juvenile apex.
Viewing your 2nd picture, I don't really see it that way, so I do like the angled proposal better.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, thanks. Both of you @Bonsai Nut and @Japonicus make good points.

I should have been clearer: the tilt was more about improving the line of the trunk, both as it exits the soil and as it meanders upwards. The trunk base is nearly perpendicular to the soil before the first bend in the current potting angle. Anyway, if tilted in the spring, the branches and apex can be manipulated to remove co-planar foliar pads and introduce a greater degree of asymmetrical weight/balance, and position apex above the base of the tree.

I will play around with this a little bit more today. Maybe leave it propped on the bench to help establish the new angle before re-potting next spring. Got a Sam Miller pot that might work great.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As the relative thickness and straightness of the upper trunk was identified as an issue you could consider reducing part of it to dead wood.
maybe along these lines?? Brings the apex lower and toward the left. Not sure how long to leave the tenjin but it could be used to emphasise the movement left.
shimpaku 1.png
Shari can be a tool to add visual taper in trunks by making one side of a trunk into shari.
The dead wood could also be extended down along the trunk, possibly right down to the existing lower jins???
Need to look closer at the existing trunk shape and branches to decide how far down is viable and whether it will add character or not.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another thought for sure, thanks @Shibui. What prevented me from moving in this direction is that it would leave the top right branch (sort of a back branch on the right) as really thick and unsightly. Currently this heavy branch is more or less masked by the finer branching above, so I am a little hesitant to eliminate the whole top.

Ah... the problem child.

Top Bottom