Shimpaku from Evergreen Gardenworks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Did some work on this one over the last few days. The wire had dug in over the growing season:
4B856412-6EA1-414B-8EE8-69A798062962.jpeg

Unwired and pruned back, deadwood scrubbed and lime sulfur applied:
77CEADC8-DC05-436B-ACED-6505CB6DBC2C.jpeg

More pruning and full detail wiring:
7CC8AE22-6EEB-4144-B417-F5A2D63BF8A1.jpeg

Planted into a new old container:
B74DA663-80F6-4604-96F8-0546CEEB4F43.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know I like this tree. I think it really has come together, great work.

however... I keep more and more staring at the bottom-right branch. Somehow it seems a misfit, angled the wrong way. Is this just the picture-angle effect? Or is something else happening which I am missing?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

however... I keep more and more staring at the bottom-right branch. Somehow it seems a misfit, angled the wrong way. Is this just the picture-angle effect? Or is something else happening which I am missing?
Eventually it may need to go. The tree moves left, the branch moves right. It also creates a distracting line through the whole composition up through the top left Jin. It’s staying for now because it would be necessary if the back becomes the front.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eventually it may need to go. The tree moves left, the branch moves right. It also creates a distracting line through the whole composition up through the top left Jin. It’s staying for now because it would be necessary if the back becomes the front.
Really nice tree. Its not the branch that bothers me but the dead wood near the branch. Thats what creates the straight line with the upper jin. It may look different in person based on the pic i would probably lose that jin.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Without knowing how flexible the lower pads are, I don't know if this is doable, but here's a look at it with the lower two pads on the right tweaked a bit.

Attachments

• bvf-eggw-shimp-ed.jpeg
    bvf-eggw-shimp-ed.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 122

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Without knowing how flexible the lower pads are, I don't know if this is doable, but here's a look at it with the lower two pads on the right tweaked a bit.
I agree as well. I don't like the look of the negative space with the branch removed, but bending it up, as bwaynef suggests, ties it in better with the overall design.

Nonetheless, this tree is looking fantastic! Nice work, Brian.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great minds think alike. I was just thinking the same.

Love the base and deadwood work on this guy, Brian.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another Shimpaku allowed to grow unchecked all year.
View attachment 407031
I love the carving and transition on this tree bottom left, have a similar tree that would benefit from this approach. I expect the left side may have been similar to the right in the beginning of development.

Top Bottom