Shimpaku from Evergreen Gardenworks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
An update after a little work yesterday.
Before:
4882A0A5-6913-415D-8710-2CE07AE4A2EA.jpeg

The right side lower is a little weak, so I didn’t cut anything back on that branch. Since I unwired it last week, most everything was in a good spot, and I was able to just clean it up with scissor trimming: remove all growth growing down, thin heavy areas, and remove strong runners. (@WSJIII Yes, this is a good time)
F27B9A59-B258-4FB3-B147-FED572971E2B.jpeg

I wanted to pull the upper right side down into the center of the tree to help fill in the weak right side where side had lost a branch. A quick guy-wire was able to move that into position:
C960C021-2BBB-4252-9732-88CA2D03D5FB.jpeg

Just a little wire in the crown, and the lower-right branch wired but unpruned was all it took:
2A49CADA-A75F-49CE-8697-FECCCBC2D44C.jpeg

Done:
5543AEC4-A5A4-454C-ABE3-37776D49A2D4.jpeg

I floated the idea of removing that first right branch and it may become the plan next year, along with allowing the first left branch to elongate. I’m not ready to commit just yet, but here is a virt.
E5C54685-2C51-4878-BC81-1EFFB723D921.jpeg

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I posted earlier the changes I'd try with that lower right branch, but if you're looking to get rid of that branch, I'd remove the next higher branch that you left on the right side as well.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I posted earlier the changes I'd try with that lower right branch, but if you're looking to get rid of that branch, I'd remove the next higher branch that you left on the right side as well.
I had a minute. Added a jin where it looks like the branch is coming from.

edit: maybe the 2nd would close down the gap created.

Attachments

• bvfegw-shimp.jpeg
    bvfegw-shimp.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 57
  • bvfegw-shimp.jpeg
    bvfegw-shimp.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

weetree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Before:
View attachment 407837

The right side lower is a little weak, so I didn’t cut anything back on that branch. Since I unwired it last week, most everything was in a good spot, and I was able to just clean it up with scissor trimming: remove all growth growing down, thin heavy areas, and remove strong runners. (@WSJIII Yes, this is a good time)
View attachment 407838

I wanted to pull the upper right side down into the center of the tree to help fill in the weak right side where side had lost a branch. A quick guy-wire was able to move that into position:
View attachment 407839

Just a little wire in the crown, and the lower-right branch wired but unpruned was all it took:
View attachment 407840

Done:
View attachment 407841

I floated the idea of removing that first right branch and it may become the plan next year, along with allowing the first left branch to elongate. I’m not ready to commit just yet, but here is a virt.
View attachment 407842
Outstanding.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Before:
View attachment 407837

View attachment 407838

View attachment 407839

View attachment 407840

Done:
View attachment 407841

View attachment 407842B
Brian, what a lovely result and progression in 10 years. And it promises to only get better! Only thing I'm not a fan of is the container but what do I know.....

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, what a lovely result and progression in 10 years. And it promises to only get better! Only thing I'm not a fan of is the container but what do I know.....
Not my first choice pairing either, but the size was about right. What do you see it going in?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not my first choice pairing either, but the size was about right. What do you see it going in?
It has gentle movement, is not overly massive looking in the pot, and has a balanced amount of deadwood. My 2c would be a soft cornered rectangle with a soft lip, and definitely more patina.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hard to guess based on pics alone but I'd like a darker pot, and as @Tidal Bonsai said, with more patina. I also thought the angular edges and the decorative looking rectangles and even the feet were all kinda distracting so I'd say the size is good but something simpler and not as "red"?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hard to guess based on pics alone but I'd like a darker pot, and as @Tidal Bonsai said, with more patina. I also thought the angular edges and the decorative looking rectangles and even the feet were all kinda distracting so I'd say the size is good but something simpler and not as "red"?
The clay on the present pot is pretty red. It’s a contemporary Japanese piece that’s a knockoff of the antique Chinese style. The clay isn’t as harsh in person, but it could stand some age. I’m considering using this pot next, but it’s 2” narrower, left to right, and may not look quite right.
558D3EE3-A3F9-45CF-98D8-2934EBB27584.jpeg

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
The clay on the present pot is pretty red. It’s a contemporary Japanese piece that’s a knockoff of the antique Chinese style. The clay isn’t as harsh in person, but it could stand some age. I’m considering using this pot next, but it’s 2” narrower, left to right, and may not look quite right.
View attachment 412621
I like this one more than the other one; maybe check a virt first?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 412621
I call this colour - Maduro. I like it

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Im also in favor of removing the lower right branch. Mostly because it appears to cross over the trunk but even if you don’t do anything its a beauty!

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brian, Did you keep the right branch?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Yamaaki looks fantastic, Brian! The inset corners mimic the deadwood a bit.

Lots of folks want to remove that branch, but my 2 cents is that the tree looks really outstanding as is.

Top Bottom