EWP gets a new pot today

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looking quite well dispite all the heat. Yet back East I'm sure the heat was not what it was here 115deg.....
I'd not jin that right lower branch! It IMO is really necessary to balance the height of the tree! I also see this girl leaning toward the left with that branch as a counter weight balancing her out as she dances and skates her was across Lake Michigan!
Going to be a stellar specimen in the future!

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking quite well dispite all the heat. Yet back East I'm sure the heat was not what it was here 115deg.....
I'd not jin that right lower branch! It IMO is really necessary to balance the height of the tree! I also see this girl leaning toward the left with that branch as a counter weight balancing her out as she dances and skates her was across Lake Michigan!
Going to be a stellar specimen in the future!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Vance. July was a record rainfall month for us, so the hardwoods should
start bursting with spectacular show soon this year.
It does lean a bit left, and maybe a bit more back than left.
I hope it's done shedding lower branches on me, but me and this tree have a past.
I killed her sister and plead insanity.
1664492060565.png

1664492931144.png 1664492977451.png
@vancehanna note this before and after pic of my 1st JWP.
You may've seen this in my 1st workshop thread last year.
I know this dwarf EWP doesn't have the branching this one does
but these trees just have a mind of their own when it comes to what branch to shed.
The choices it made, staggered my 1st branch plan and that ruined my plans.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hang on to her and treat her carefully! It is quite. Potentially spectacular tree!

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the other note: Yes I completely remove the candle at the base when the time is right.
Do you decandle every year or do you treat it as a single flush some years to regain strength? Also, does the responding flush of growth come from the base of where the initial candle was, like JBP do, or does it come from in between last years needles (Needle buds)?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On the other note: Yes I completely remove the candle at the base when the time is right.
Echo previous question and when you say "time is right" what time is this for you? When the needles have just started separating from the candle? And you do this all over the tree depending on candle length or what?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in for the Hyjak the @Japonicus thread for a minute to beg @vancehanna to post a thread about the care of our native Eastern White pine. He has had one for years I believe. The bain of bonsai? I have had one for 5-6yrs and have been trying to learn what it likes. Cut candles and got tiny needles last year but....

Am I wrong in my thinking Vance has an old EWP?

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm in for the Hyjak the @Japonicus thread for a minute to beg @vancehanna to post a thread about the care of our native Eastern White pine. He has had one for years I believe. The bain of bonsai? I have had one for 5-6yrs and have been trying to learn what it likes. Cut candles and got tiny needles last year but....

Am I wrong in my thinking Vance has an old EWP?
You go right ahead. Mines on the fritz . All my conifers got hit with something last year and this tree took it on the chin like a blow from Mohamad Ali.20230401_151648.jpg20230401_151701.jpg20230401_151756.jpg
There's new buds but with such growth in the negative or red, i doubt there's energy enough for them to do much.
Collected in Benzie County MI late 1970's probably hit by a snow plow....and left for dead...hah!
I love any chance to see that tree and hear its back storry.
The snow plow and left for dead gets me every time. Well done.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Please share Vance:) Tell us what you've learned. "Everyone" knows these suk for bonsai. LOL
Forgive me i thought i was quoting...
If you ever need a next caretaker picked out let me know .. not a April fools joke
...so thats what i meant get in line

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking of purchasing 2 Strobus seedlings for this spring to develop alongside my more conventional white pines, thankfully I’ve a bunch time left being only 21.

I’m aware that there are dwarf varieties (witchesbrooms) but haven’t seen any in local garden centres in past years.

If these are so vigorous that they can reliably double flush I would love to have a couple to toy around with!

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Those new buds look like they might pull this girl through really! I'd watch the watering and keep it in full sun. Protect from wind and make sure she doesn't fully dry out yet don't over water either.
Hang in there this tree if it survives could become a magnificent specimen!

My girl and my JWP got burnt at tad bit last Summer in the 115F temps so I'm in a bit of restyle zone myself.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Those new buds look like they might pull this girl through really! I'd watch the watering and keep it in full sun. Protect from wind and make sure she doesn't fully dry out yet don't over water either.
Hang in there this tree if it survives could become a magnificent specimen!

My girl and my JWP got burnt at tad bit last Summer in the 115F temps so I'm in a bit of restyle zone myself.
I most certainly hope so.
Now you tell me lol. Been close to 60mph wind gusts all day, slowing now. I never thought about this and the wind. My JWP is out of the wind just repotted.

Top Bottom