EWP...Growing...Now? Bad?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Uh oh....this reminds me of my dead mugo... I thought something was up when it started pushing needles out in December....and it croaked, full brown before spring.
I was looking at some stuff on the deck today and saw this! :eek::(
IMAG3735.jpg
I hope this isn't as bad as I think it might be....
Just needle buds, I know, but.... ....

I cut strongest new growth back in July, I cut each new branch back to about 3-4 needle clusters.
This is my first year with EWP.
Looking back, I shouldn't have cut it back at all, as it was collected early this year...
I remember thinking that it grew way stronger than I had ever hoped, and it was getting very long and top heavy, even with the pot full of rocks, it would fall over sometimes.... so I cut it back.

Here is another branch that looks like it might pop too...at least 4 new buds there, right at the cut.
IMAG3736.jpg
So, did I cut it back too soon you think?
Or is this perhaps normal?...I mean, lots of my trees are growing now, or still...
:confused:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my Alberta dwarfs just put a few needles out on a new bud.

You remember if the Mugo threw curly growth?

I say with this being straight growth you're fine.

Curly is stressed.

No worries.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being native to area no worries;). Maybe not regular growth but adapted and wanted to grow. With major part cut off energy went elsewhere.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Being native to area no worries;).
That's what I'm leaning on...
This is maybe the weirdest tree I have...got it for free for a fellow bnutter nearby, who was thinning his collection a bit this spring.....got free taxus and a Japanese maple too :cool:.
Very thankful to @lordy for all 3 trees.

Long skinny thing, lots of natural movement....no clue what happened to it in its first few years of life in nature...must've got pushed down by a fallen tree branch or something...

I guess I'll have to take a few pictures tomorrow....
It's kinda like Charlie Brown's Xmas tree, with a little more wiggle...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The first tree I ever de-candled was a 3' tall EWP growing in the understory of the woods behind my folks house in MA... it pushed a second flush. My folks don't live there anymore but I bet the tree is still there if you don't believe me;).
Wow, cool....
I had no clue!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back again! Hi Mike--regarding the curve in the leader, I wired that early on. Thinking if I was to create a bonsai in the future, I would have some movement. Otherwise, I could always use it in the landscape at the new shack. I have attached a pic of a second tree which I still have, and you can see similar curves in it.IMG_3208.JPG

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a pretty good amount of various pine species (prebonsai and seedlings unfortunately) at this point and I see this kind of late growth across the board

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Back again! Hi Mike--regarding the curve in the leader, I wired that early on. Thinking if I was to create a bonsai in the future, I would have some movement. Otherwise, I could always use it in the landscape at the new shack. I have attached a pic of a second tree which I still have, and you can see similar curves in it.View attachment 161389
Oh, Dang, look at that!
Thanks @lordy !
Its been doing really well, as have the maple and the taxus!

Top Bottom