Extra Large Trident.... Something or other.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Really beautiful! Did you happen to photograph it before you dug it out? You said it was field grown? Was it grown in Ga by the same people who field grow a lot of different types of trees for bonsai? I know a lot of people on BN go there. What a difference just a year made.

Shibui is a great source for knowledge on Trident Maples.

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really beautiful! Did you happen to photograph it before you dug it out? You said it was field grown? Was it grown in Ga by the same people who field grow a lot of different types of trees for bonsai? I know a lot of people on BN go there. What a difference just a year made.

Shibui is a great source for knowledge on Trident Maples.
Yes. Mr. Dave. The legend.
No. I got quite a few that day and Im still developing my photographer skills!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is awesome, and the slab planting really suits it well. I will be interested to see if you have any trouble keeping it wet enough, but tridents are better at being dry than J Maple, and I don't know your climate... Great job and keep us updated please!

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is awesome, and the slab planting really suits it well. I will be interested to see if you have any trouble keeping it wet enough, but tridents are better at being dry than J Maple, and I don't know your climate... Great job and keep us updated please!
We’ll Georgia here. So hot! I have been trying to keep the live moss intact to help with the dryness but im having to mist it everyday. Do you think a heavy covering of spaghnum would help?

I also went with a thicker rock to try and help with that as well. I may end up having to move it to a more shady location but my fork lift is in the shop at the moment! 😂

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are y’all’s thoughts on this?

Design it as one tree with one apex? Or like a forest with each tree being treated individually?

I like the one tree idea because I’m not sure the trunks will taper correctly if designed as forest?

Design thoughts?

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
hello ! if you keep one apex above the others, which one would you keep ? a virtual maybe ?

ps : be carefull with the pure keto : if you let it dry out a little, it will make cracks and the keto wall will not be able to retain water anymore because as soon as it is dry and cracked it is irréversible (even with water). it is what i experienced a few years ago with a pure keto wall. It needs to be kept always wet to prevent cracks.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome job @dlayton , I don't know if you have a Mirai membership, Ryan went over slab planting repot and he did mentioned the two trees that Judy mentioned above as trees he would never plant on a slab. Rationing was because they would need more water retention. Now the way Ryan does the walls is completely different than the muck approach, so I think you should be fine with your set up. Ryan used just wet long fiber white sphagnum moss with akadama imbedded on it as a "wall" in order to maintain the akadama in. This would definitely drain and allow air faster than a muck wall all around the perimeter of the tree.

Closeup of the sphagnum/akadama layer rolled over the edge of the soil mass.

1679660271242.png

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome job @dlayton , I don't know if you have a Mirai membership, Ryan went over slab planting repot and he did mentioned the two trees that Judy mentioned above as trees he would never plant on a slab. Rationing was because they would need more water retention. Now the way Ryan does the walls is completely different than the muck approach, so I think you should be fine with your set up. Ryan used just wet long fiber white sphagnum moss with akadama imbedded on it as a "wall" in order to maintain the akadama in. This would definitely drain and allow air faster than a muck wall all around the perimeter of the tree.

Closeup of the sphagnum/akadama layer rolled over the edge of the soil mass.

View attachment 478215
Interesting. Is there a YouTube video of this or more information?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting. Is there a YouTube video of this or more information?
Unfortunately not, they just posted it to the Mirai Live website 2 days ago. You could do a 7 day free trial? If you close it before the 7th day they won't charge you. It's a 2hr long video of a "repot" on a slab planted spruce that's been on the slab for 5 years. The slab is a Jan Culek.

1679667367916.png

Top Bottom