Ficus questions

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have had my ficus for a few years now. I've noticed that some bonsai Ficus produce figs, but mine never has. I know there are different types of ficus, so is mine probably a type that doesn't produce? I got it from walmart, if that helps. Here is a photo of it. I do plan on repotting it this spring as well. Can anyone tell what type mine is just from the photo?

20150108_180032.jpg

D

Deleted member 17828

Looks kinda like a ficus benjamina to me but i could be wrong. Does the tag not say what it is?:p

Just like any other fruiting tree, it needs optimal conditions and a pollination to fruit. Considering it appears to be an indoor tree i would say that it would be difficult to have either of these two needs. The dry indoor air isn't exactly optimal for the ficus as it is a tropical tree and it probably doesn't have another tree near it to pollinate. My parents claim their indoor ficus once produced a fig, but i have no idea how that managed to happen.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's a Ficus microcarpa. It needs to be really super healthy in order to fruit. I've had fruit on a few of my Ficus. Nothing to get too excited about, they aren't useful for anything. The seeds aren't viable unless pollinated by a Fig Wasp, which do not exist in the U.S.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's a Ficus microcarpa. It needs to be really super healthy in order to fruit. I've had fruit on a few of my Ficus. Nothing to get too excited about, they aren't useful for anything. The seeds aren't viable unless pollinated by a Fig Wasp, which do not exist in the U.S.

^Untrue.
Vero Beach we have them for at least Ficus Microcarpa Retusa 'Kinmen'. Old Florida Bonsai has lots of seedlings growing all over the place from bird droppings. I also have some of these seedlings myself.

I grow my Ficus outdoors all year, and I've had fruit on all of them. Maybe indoors they just don't like to fruit.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan is right a Microcarpa. I had mine produce about 15 little figs last year about this time, a few days later I heard some birds squawking and seen them picking theem off the tree. They did not eat them just ripped them loose. The fig is actually a flower more or less turned inside out and are pollinated by fig wasps. There is conflicting info that they may have arrived in Florida hitchhiking in on imported Ficus. Yours looks a little weak and very immature at this point.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
^Untrue.
Vero Beach we have them for at least Ficus Microcarpa Retusa 'Kinmen'. Old Florida Bonsai has lots of seedlings growing all over the place from bird droppings. I also have some of these seedlings myself.

I grow my Ficus outdoors all year, and I've had fruit on all of them. Maybe indoors they just don't like to fruit.

Well, I should've said we don't have them up where it's cold. They do fruit indoors, they just aren't viable.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
^Untrue.

carp , lol The guy who told me about the wasps was in Palm Bay Florida in a little Bonsai shop going south from Melbourne on the right hand side on route 1. Then a few days later a guy in Kissimmee told me it was not true. That is why I said conflicting info before seeing your post. You are now the 3rd person who says they are there as I had this conversation a few days ago so I believe it to be true.

ed

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting. I had no idea my tree could even produce a fig! I think that would be exciting just because I'm new to this lol. But this spring when I repot it, I will use a pot with good drainage. Does anyone have any soil suggestions for it? Right now its in regular potting soil but I've heard thats not the best for it. Also being in southern Colorado, do you think it would like it if I placed it outside during the summer days?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I had no idea my tree could even produce a fig! I think that would be exciting just because I'm new to this lol. But this spring when I repot it, I will use a pot with good drainage. Does anyone have any soil suggestions for it? Right now its in regular potting soil but I've heard thats not the best for it. Also being in southern Colorado, do you think it would like it if I placed it outside during the summer days?

Yes it would love it if you kept it outside during the heat of summer, the longer the better. You could repot it right now without a hitch, Ficus are very forgiving. It needs a new pot that has a drain hole and soil with better drainage and it will take off when given the right light.

ed

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
During summer could I leave it out overnight as well? It gets down to the 50-60 degree range at night

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
During summer could I leave it out overnight as well? It gets down to the 50-60 degree range at night

You could/should leave it outdoors all summer long. Bring it in only when temps drop below 50.

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh OK. I will put it outside this summer! I'm so excited to help it start looking better!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yes that would be fine. Its ok to about 45 degrees any lower than that stresses it and freezing will kill part or all of it.

ed

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
carp , lol The guy who told me about the wasps was in Palm Bay Florida in a little Bonsai shop going south from Melbourne on the right hand side on route 1. Then a few days later a guy in Kissimmee told me it was not true. That is why I said conflicting info before seeing your post. You are now the 3rd person who says they are there as I had this conversation a few days ago so I believe it to be true.

ed

You're talking about Feng Gu at Penjing Bonsai on US1 about a mile south of Malabar Rd. His nursery is mostly chinese imports, but he does have nice Texas Ebony that he has grown from seed. The wasp for Benjimina and Retusa is undeniably in Vero Beach.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tayler,

A few thoughts,

If it's dry heat like around Pueblo, you might afford it some mid afternoon shade. Or at least be able to water it around then. A free draining soil will require MUCH more watering.

Till spring if I were you, I'd clamp a cfl bulb to the pot rim, right by the trunk, cut it back after a few weeks and try(won't be hard) to get some lower\closer branching. The Tree is so lanky now, it looks like it may just light fire! Definitely a lot of Co heat to push sap through.

If you can rid it of that height, and get it a bit more compact, it will be easier to keep humid and hydrated, at that point, that's a nice trunk to work with, it'll be at a good place to start summer!
I'd pot it as shallow and wide as you can manage.

Welcome to crazy!

Sorce

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tayler,

A few thoughts,

If it's dry heat like around Pueblo, you might afford it some mid afternoon shade. Or at least be able to water it around then. A free draining soil will require MUCH more watering.

Till spring if I were you, I'd clamp a cfl bulb to the pot rim, right by the trunk, cut it back after a few weeks and try(won't be hard) to get some lower\closer branching. The Tree is so lanky now, it looks like it may just light fire! Definitely a lot of Co heat to push sap through.

If you can rid it of that height, and get it a bit more compact, it will be easier to keep humid and hydrated, at that point, that's a nice trunk to work with, it'll be at a good place to start summer!
I'd pot it as shallow and wide as you can manage.

Welcome to crazy!

Sorce

Yes we do have dry heat in the summer, so I will find a spot fot it that has afternoon shade.

As far as the cfl bulb, I looked it up on google and it looks like just a regular house bulb (twisty style). Is there a difference in the cfl and a regular one? How far back should I trim it? I'm always worried that I would cut too much.

I have also been looking for pots and soil and found these. Do you think these will be good? Also do you think that 1 qt of soil will be enough to fill that particular pot? I'm terrible at judging things like that unless I can see it in person.

Pot: http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product4452.html

Soil: http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product100.html

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cfls are a little cooler and more efficient,.

If you get buds low, let a couple leaves grow out, and cut everything above, or less!

Get more soil than you need.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe a big colander for now, or the drain tray of a huge pot(drill holes), no need for a bonsai pot yet IMO

Sorce

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just an update: After I moved the tree to the window where it gets morning sun, it has already started lots of new growth! I will soon be getting a humidity tray for it as well as a new pot. Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom