Finished pots

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I didn't want to cover up the orange red body with the red glaze so I added clear under the lava

I'll have to try with a matte glaze, too shiny for my taste.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed the shine but it also makes the red/orange look more intense, as if it is glowing. I think it is very interesting. I have never seen this technique before. Is it your invention or a commercial glaze you stumbled across?

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The lava and clear glaze are commercial, but I've never seen it layered like this with that color body.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
8in black terra sig
IMG_0747.jpg

6in green crawl
IMG_0752.jpg

2.5in tall green crawl accent
IMG_0749.jpg

2in oxide wash accent
IMG_0751.jpg

3in square accent with bubbling glaze
IMG_0753.jpg

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I stepped into the high fire realm yesterday, trying new clay, new glaze recipes, a 2345deg (1285c) oxidation firing and slow cool. To say the least I was quite excited when I opened the kiln a little while ago. The following were the best out of the 10pot I made.

The clay used was a ^10 Toki sculpture paperclay, it very moist and sticky. Took some time to get used to handbuild because it sticks to everything, to combat that I let it sit exposed over night to dry out some and made it much easier to work with. It's not intended for the wheel, don't tell me that! made some interesting forms, doesn't throw like normal clay. Slab building is so much easier! Roll it out, cut to shape, dry to a bone state and assemble. Made 4 pots this way and each one is perfectly square with straight sides.

I wanted to try ash glazes but everything I've read was for a reduction burn, purchased a book on ash glaze making and there was 3 paragraphs on oxidation firing and not much information regarding the process. When over to my sisters house, cleaned her fireplace out and came home and started sifting. Made 3 recipes, ochre, an artificial reduction ochre and a 50/50 mix of ash and earthenware clay. Also did a couple of oxide washes and commercial dry celadon. I did not want pots being glazed to the shelves so I did thin applications since I was entering the unknown, will try thicker coats next time.

3in tall ochre

2in tall RIO wash

4in wide 50/50

2in wide artificial reduction ochre (lovely blues out of something I thought was going to have more yellow)

4in wide RIO wash

14in wide oval, RIO wash with celadon on the rim

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I too bought a book today,"The Potters Complete Book of Clay and Glazes" by James Chappel,1977 second printing.

9 pages of Ash Glazes,mostly formulae with details of ingredients,mixing,applying,firing and fired results.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keith,

Very interesting results from your first ^10 firing.

One thing I've been told by several potters is that repeated ^10 firings will quickly reduce the life expectancy of your electric elements.

Ash Glazes (2nd edition) by Phil Rogers is a book that I would recommend if you are interested in using ash glazes. He does not go into much detail about oxidation firings but does include a number of oxidation formulas he developed. However, he does give a very detailed account of how to develop your own glazes which I use myself.

Good luck.

Regards,
Paul

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Paul!

Out of all the glazes I've tried at different temperatures I've been most pleased with these results, will mix up a couple more tomorrow to fire on Friday.

I have that ash book, there's 3 paragraphs on oxidation firing but like you said there are a few recipes in there worth trying. Found more info online regarding glazes and oxidation details. ^10 will shorten the life of the elements, considering we've had this kiln for 15yrs and have not changed the coils so far. We've gotten our moneys worth out the current set.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Paul!

Your welcome.

Out of all the glazes I've tried at different temperatures I've been most pleased with these results, will mix up a couple more tomorrow to fire on Friday.

Good luck!

^10 will shorten the life of the elements, considering we've had this kiln for 15yrs and have not changed the coils so far. We've gotten our moneys worth out the current set.

Sound like you had a good run with this kiln. What brand of kiln is it?

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As usual, some great looking pots Keith.

I like the light colored clay body with the dark accents, I think it gives the pots a very rustic feel.

I've been experimenting with some stretched pots myself this past year. They are fun to make, and the finished results seem endless.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,
Paul

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Paul!

I referred back to the "making an oval" thread to make a 22" diameter oval, assembly is complete and now waiting on the drying process to finish.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keith,

A 22" oval!

Now that's a big undertaking. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Regards,
Paul

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now that's a big undertaking.

That's what I thought when the guy asked if I could make an oval that large.

here's a sneak, when it's complete it will be 22" x 10" x 2" if my calculations on shrinkage are correct
4406513040_533d5b84e7.jpg

BTW, my kiln is 23" wide :eek:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outstanding!

I like it very much.

The band of texture works nicely.

How much clay did you use?

Paul

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a very nice looking pot. Please keep us updated on it.

Will you be at Tako Kazari? I know Al suggested it a while back. I would love a chance to buy one of your pots.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not sure if I'll be able to make it to Tako, looks like a cool event from the pdf. I will be going to Fresno in June for a talk at the C&S club.

Fired these yesterday, my 4 faves out of the load

Attachments

• IMG_8037.2.jpg
    IMG_8037.2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8038.2.jpg
    IMG_8038.2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8041.2.jpg
    IMG_8041.2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8045.2.jpg