Flower buds on a currant

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone know how flowering works on a currant. When and where do they set buds? How can you distinguish flower buds from leaf buds?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This’ll be black currant “flower” buds.
1596159266663.jpeg
And then the common red flowering currant’s flower buds.
1596159406333.jpeg

(neither are my images)

I just tried to find pics of the right stage of development to convey the difference. 🤓

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For flowers and fruit, they flower on previous Summer's growth. So twigs made in 2020 will flower spring 2021.

If you want flowers, stop pruning by middle of July (to be safe). You might be able to prune as late as August, but I do not know when the cut off date is.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For flowers and fruit, they flower on previous Summer's growth. So twigs made in 2020 will flower spring 2021.

If you want flowers, stop pruning by middle of July (to be safe). You might be able to prune as late as August, but I do not know when the cut off date is.
Thanks @Leo in N E Illinois I left one branch this past May to see if it flowers. Any idea what the flower buds look like?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @Leo in N E Illinois I left one branch this past May to see if it flowers. Any idea what the flower buds look like?

??? Well, the flower buds will look like.... FLOWER BUDS. :) :cool: LOL, I'm being a smart ass. Currents flower early in the season, after Ume, after culinary apricot and plum, about the same time as blueberry, and earlier or with the early flowering apples. Currents will be done flowering by the time apples are done flowering. Or at least that is what I recall from Michigan. Flower buds will appear, with or slightly after leaves start unfurling. Currents are ripe by mid-summer, so they need to get started early in the spring. You should have no trouble recognizing flower buds once the leaves have begun expanding.

Top Bottom