Flowering Dogwood Help/Advice

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The Dogwood is the state tree of Missouri. In an effort to work with native/local trees I have several Dogwoods in various stages of development. My research hasn't yielded much in the way of advice. Any Nuts grow these with success? Any suggestions or concerns with species? Thanks!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a thread on our forum on Dogwood:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/dogwood.18287/

How did you find this? This is what I was looking for...so thank you!! When I search "Dogwood", I came up w/ like 5000 hits. Anytime the word was spelled it showed up...which made it difficult to find anything useful. Even the title search didn't help.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How did you find this? This is what I was looking for...so thank you!! When I search "Dogwood", I came up w/ like 5000 hits. Anytime the word was spelled it showed up...which made it difficult to find anything useful. Even the title search didn't help.

I speed read the entire 5000 results LOLOLOL just kidding.....

I actually found the thread via google.....but a while back initially was looking up info on dogwoods ( I do like them) then saw your thread and it rang a bell !

The other link on bonsai4me is some good info too

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Dogwood has big flowers and big leaves. Yes the leaves will reduce some with time in bonsai culture, but they will still be pretty big. Therefore, you need to grow them into bigger bonsai. A yard is probably the height you want to shoot for, and then the trees will look in scale. As with most deciduous bonsai, it is best to either start from a cutting, seedling, or airlayer and grow it slowly over time, trying never to make a big cut if you don't have to.

I think it's great you're growing dogwood for bonsai. We need more people using deciduous natives, and the Midwest had plenty of natives with good potential waiting to be utilized.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dogwood has big flowers and big leaves. Yes the leaves will reduce some with time in bonsai culture, but they will still be pretty big. Therefore, you need to grow them into bigger bonsai. A yard is probably the height you want to shoot for, and then the trees will look in scale. As with most deciduous bonsai, it is best to either start from a cutting, seedling, or airlayer and grow it slowly over time, trying never to make a big cut if you don't have to.

I think it's great you're growing dogwood for bonsai. We need more people using deciduous natives, and the Midwest had plenty of natives with good potential waiting to be utilized.

Thanks for your insight, Andrew. I recently picked up a Kousa Dogwood, during a repot I noticed the roots are quite fibirous. Is that true of all dogwoods? It would seem that would help make it an good bonsai candidate, no?

IMG_8060.JPG

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected one with a really nice base and some great bark from the woods behind my house this year. I just now am seeing some buds so I'm hopeful it survived the collection. I envision a tall, slender almost literatish tree to match the way they look in the wild around here. I have a special place in my heart for dogwood and have always wanted a specimen. We'll see how it works out.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected one with a really nice base and some great bark from the woods behind my house this year. I just now am seeing some buds so I'm hopeful it survived the collection. I envision a tall, slender almost literatish tree to match the way they look in the wild around here. I have a special place in my heart for dogwood and have always wanted a specimen. We'll see how it works out.

Keep us posted!

Top Bottom