Attachments

• DSC_00391.JPG
    DSC_00391.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 80

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the scroll is too large. It takes up too much of the negative space. In my opinion the scroll is not evocative unless you can read the characters. It also looks like a mallsai decoration.

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All three pieces are of a vertical nature, in my opinion the scroll should be more square.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Scroll is too large, but otherwise I like it! Changing the scroll will also bring more emphasis to the accent. I agree with redvw5 in that I prefer scrolls with art/illustration versus script.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scroll is too large, but otherwise I like it! Changing the scroll will also bring more emphasis to the accent. I agree with redvw5 in that I prefer scrolls with art/illustration versus script.

You will all be amazed later when you know everything.

pdbacos

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could read the scroll....

This composition does seems like an essay on "verticalness".

I like the way the three elements resonate with each other: The wood of the trees, the stone, the script painted on the scroll---I think it's grass script...

P

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The actual scroll is about 7 feet long. With the hanger it may be about another 6 inches. You need a large Tokonoma to make this display. The backdrop represented here is about 9 feet wide and 12 feet tall.

Hideko is standing about 15 feet back to take in her display. I shot photos from about 20 feet back to get them all in. That is why some of the photo's are lacking real detail to really appreciate them. Sorry you all couldn't have been there. It was something that will never be duplicated again.

Oh wait, we get to do this all over again the last weekend in April next year. All different trees, and all different stories. maybe same people, maybe some new faces. Maybe and hopefully some from out of state. I would love to see Bill Valavanis here next year. Kathy Shaner is still regretting her committment to being out of town. Boon will surly be there since this time we have planned a year in advance.

Texas is not that far away for something this noteworthy.

Hope to see you there, Al

Attachments

• DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Incidently this scroll is the one that is shown on Ms. Metaxis picture in Willie Benz book " Bonsai Kusomono Suiseki a practical guide for organizing displays with plants and stones", page 58.

It says,(I have no idea how to spell it), Kan jui sai or "view how you wish" or "Kanon, Goddess of mercy is here" or "Look into yourself"

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Incidently this scroll is the one that is shown on Ms. Metaxis picture in Willie Benz book " Bonsai Kusomono Suiseki a practical guide for organizing displays with plants and stones", page 58.

It says,(I have no idea how to spell it), Kan jui sai or "view how you wish" or "Kanon, Goddess of mercy is here" or "Look into yourself"

Wow. This display just blows me away. The extreme verticality is a plus in my mind, not a minus. And the idea of "look into yourself" just paints a picture for me of the figure on the right as an ascetic meditating on the beauty of the gingko grove. About the only think I might have changed would be the height of the stand....a bit lower and I'm in heaven. I would say, however, that this is the most minor of aggreivances.

I love this display and the solemnity of its flow. It's hard to put into words adequately. It's stately.

Chris

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. This display just blows me away.
I love this display and the solemnity of its flow. It's hard to put into words adequately. It's stately.

Chris

Chris I think you may have hit it. I will give all the critiques from some of the most knowledgable people in Japanese display I have ever met. What I will share is really kind of exciting in the hussle and bustle of everyday life.

Unfortunatly I am packing for the weekend to go on a buying trip.

If you guessed scrolls you would be correct. I am preparing for next year. I have a person hand painting next years scroll but you can't have too many pretty pictures. Taking in the Monterey Bonsai Clubs exhibit on Sunday also. Camera will be present.

Chris I will deal with you on Monday!

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oh and by the way I am cruising to my buddy's, Matt Chrousts home to really get the skinny from the owner himself of bonsaiTALK.

Hopefully I can lay this thing to rest soon.

Al

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,

Hideko said that the ginko tree is the guardian of the temple and is often planted in front of Buddhist temples. The Kannon godess is the godess of mercy and compassion. Kannon literally means "watchful listening," and is often translated as "the one who sees/hears all. The scroll is Buddhas words and is often found at the entrance to temples. So this is the harmony and spirituality of her display.

Top Bottom