Whats right about this display?

Attachments

• no1..JPG
    no1..JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 103

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
I would cast the accent also in moonlight (a more grey look and slightly smaller) but I'll give this my second most favourite vote.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
AAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhh God, make it stop! Make it stop! My eyes! My eyes!

Seriously, a fantastic presentation from Jim Gremel. Is the accent plant sedum? This tree was shown at the National Exhibition (p80) and is exquisite. I don't have the knowledge or depth of feeling to improve on this display.

Chris

JJR

Seedling
Reaction score
I like this display quite a bit, but it also bothers me. All of the elements of the display seem to work well together, but I get the feeling that I am out on a cool night in the fall. I shouldn't have that feeling in early June...

Jon

pdbacos

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't that neat? I get the same impression of fall:

For me, the size of the moon conjures up images of the harvest moon, or of the mid-autumn moon festival. The cloud-like pads of foliage on the bonsai evokes memories of paintings...

I wonder if the artist has ever used the same scroll in a composition with a maple in it's fall colors. I wonder what accent he or she would choose...

P

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is my favorite display. I may be biased in my thinking, as I also saw this cedar at the Nat. Exhibition and it was one of the best there. For me, it conjures the feeling of standing in a verdant meadow at night, perhaps in spring, and looking up to the nearby mountain to see an old weathered tree clinging to a cliff as it is highlighted by the moon. Wonderful.

Dave

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also like this one, just wish the display area was a little bigger, wider and deeper.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would not change anything with this display. It gives me the feeling of a summer night in the full moon - especially with the whitish foliage. Nicely done! The accent is a little dull, but that is the only critical comment I can make.

Asus101

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
knowing very little about such displays....
Should the scroll (or the tree) be a little over so they are not over lapping at all?

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
THis is a quote from another thread on another tree, but I think it fits this tree as well.

The tree needs to be adjusted in the pot. It is tilted to the right. The upper portion of the trunk should be straight up and the mass of needles should be sitting level, not canted to the right. It looks like it is trying to fall out of the pot to the right.

It's funny to me that I read this and thought it was talking about this tree. I feel the same way.

Never the less, this is an amazing tree and scroll.

If we are going to say that the acent plant was plain for the CA juniper, than this one is too.

Al had the coolest/most unique accent plant there.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know.... two things I think would improve this (at least in my mind) :D

I think the scroll breaking the plane of the cascading foliage is distracting. It makes me focus too much on the scroll, and not the tree. That just may be the angle of the photo, but I think this would work much better if the scroll were slightly higher, and a little right of where it is.

I think a narrower stand would contribute to the overall impression of the moon high in the misty sky...

Top Bottom