Forming your Consciousness.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
*cracks theoretical “typing” knuckles*

Well I was a USMC “brat” for the first lil’ “chunk” of my life, so I have every indication that we HAD money. The thing is, this never really was the way it FELT... my parents always invested in OLDER model, efficiency based vehicles (VW’s, Hondas...) and We always resided in small houses.
My family did operate a small(ish ;) ) farm, and most of the things we NEEDED that we couldn’t PRODUCE... we simply traded with other farmers who held similar beliefs and lived similar lifestyles. I seldom recall visiting a grocery store during these years... meat PROCESSORS.. sure :).... HARDWARE store.. absolutely!

I believe this has shaped my overall view of wealth, or even the way that one would even measure or define such a thing, a tad... differently.
(There is am EXCELLENT essay by Herman Hesse about observing a forest that REEEALLY pertains)

I keep typing a loooooong paragraph attempting to explain my point of view, but by the end, I’ve “philosophized” the point TO DEATH... and the distinguishing characteristics of said point become “murky”... and unintentionally cryptic (not the good kind, like gross, “hollywood” cryptic). Gotta take a step back....

I guess....

Things are nice...but they are no goal.

Money exists...but it’s even LESS important than “things”.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Funny you should say that, because my Dad WAS deployed on a ship.. 🤣🤣 an aircraft carrier actually.

but never I...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny you should say that, because my Dad WAS deployed on a ship.. 🤣🤣 an aircraft carrier actually.

but never I...
Cool. My dad also was in the marine. But when he had kids he wanted to be more at home, instead of 3 months sailing the globe.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool. My dad also was in the marine. But when he had kids he wanted to be more at home, instead of 3 months sailing the globe.

Yes! My father retired when i was 6. My mother (also USMC) retired when I was born.... THEN came “farm life” :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A ☮️ full protest.

Sincere thanks to kind participants.

Riling of Feathers enough to Expand Minds while simultaneously keeping this thread from getting locked is a sure sign of righteousness.

2 4 6 8, an undeniable pattern.

As I ramify my trees so is the olive extended.

All are welcome to the fruit.

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It shouldn't really take a global pandemic or psychedelics to highlight what one probably already subconsciously knows. But in times like this it would be remiss not to take stock of oneself.
I know we certainly have, sure we do alright, live a comfortable life but if being in one of the worlds harshest lock downs taught us anything is that most of it is superficial anyway.
It also provided a rare glimpse of just how fucked things could get next time and more importantly, it doesn't have to be that way if you a prepared to change. And work hard at it but for yourself and family's sake and not some one who doesn't give a shit.
Spain is a mess at the best of times and this last 6 months has further highlighted what we already knew so we have talked it over and hopefully when things start returning to some resemblance of normal we are going to sell up and get out of dodge.
But more importantly we don't want to transfer our lifestyle to a new country, you know comfortable 9-5 job, suburban lifestyle type of thing. Although it'd make sense to do so and would be the easy option, no then we'd be stuck like prisoners again even in normal times. Comfortable but too reliant on others, we know we're better than that so time to put it to the test.

So we are looking at buying some nice rural/wild acerage back in Oz and making a go of it for ourselves, simplify things. It will be a sacrifice but we see it more of a purge of all the meaningless crap. Not some kind of new age revelation type of thing, just some honest means of providing for those we care the most for.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of us rely on only us for bonsai education.

So how shallow do you have to be, to think our relationships have nothing to do with bettering our trees and collections?

This shallow. (Don't worry, this person never has anything good to add to the discussion Anyway)

[EDIT] Removing private site communication [/EDIT]

I can't believe some people think, us caring about each other, is BS. Or is it reprehensible?

This topic is so advanced, some of us don't even get it!

Thanks Again, for deeply making my point.

Sorce

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Your OP's opening thoughts "what got us so far outside the box" & "what got us there" are worth Pondering to a small degree...
Well Bonsai (your implication is Bonsai is far outside the box)......is not really outside the box... just another
Form of exploiting one's curiosity, and "what got us there" is again exploiting one's curiosity....
Fini...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
. (Don't worry, this person never has anything good to add to the discussion Anyway)
Although this person was not me, I agree with their opinions in the report. Also I know who this person is, and you know you are so wrong about the fact they don't have anything good to add. This person is one of the most knowledgable on the forum and is always happy to share that knowledge. We are lucky to have people of that caliber, and I fear that this sort of thing is chasing the best and brightest away from the forum.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Most of us rely on only us for bonsai education.

So how shallow do you have to be, to think our relationships have nothing to do with bettering our trees and collections?

This shallow. (Don't worry, this person never has anything good to add to the discussion Anyway)View attachment 321697

I can't believe some people think, us caring about each other, is BS. Or is it reprehensible?

This topic is so advanced, some of us don't even get it!

Thanks Again, for deeply making my point.

Sorce
I can't believe this supposedly confidential communication to the site admin has been thrown out there for public consumption. Dude, this is a complete abuse of your admin position here... shame on you for posting this.

Well, at least the private message was pulled... I still call BS that an ADMINISTRATOR decided it was cool to post it in the first place!

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I stumbled apon this thread. Most of it goes over my head but the last bit concerns me. That is just so NOT @sorce
You need to fix this mate. I've always seen you as the peacemaker and level headed one. I've always seen the reason in your 'chaos'. This however baffles me...to do that to another member is not right. Not if you're an administrator...uh uh 🤨

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Sometimes some folks who believe themselves to be Intellectual get so Confused with their own Thinking and Reasoning that they lose the ability to Communicate with others regardless of Subject Matter.....that may be the case here......

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't believe this supposedly confidential communication to the site admin has been thrown out there for public consumption. Dude, this is a complete abuse of your admin position here... shame on you for posting this.

Well, at least the private message was pulled... I still call BS that an ADMINISTRATOR decided it was cool to post it in the first place!
ce.
I didn't see the post that was removed, but if it was put up without the OP's permission by a site admin, that is pretty concerning.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't come here as often as I once did...I have pulled myself from many Facebook groups. Just more about hanging with my trees. Because the world we live in has turned upside down. People are more snarky than ever...And I just don't wish to be submerged in the middle of it. My daily life outside social media is quiet.

I do feel I missed a key something. I dont mean to offend anyone. But...am I mistaken that the biggest offense early on was...this wasn't posted in a particular location tab in the forum? Correspondence possibly sent? Guess that's my take on it...I know many who won't step foot into the tea house. Or...they at least claim that in other areas of the group. But...this saddens me...to see a mute point placed elsewhere set a path to destruction of being derailed.

How we can go to the point of an off topic placed somewhere as a horrendous crime? I honestly feel...I missed a large piece of a puzzle by not being here as often as I once was. Because I sit here scratching my head. Wondering just how did this offense blow up?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It's getting quite ridiculous around here. This is at least the second time in the past 6 months or so that sorce has done something that should really get him booted off the forum, yet he is allowed to continue to run free as an admin. It's a major reason why I don't post much here anymore.

OK, back to regular programming.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ce.
I didn't see the post that was removed, but if it was put up without the OP's permission by a site admin, that is pretty concerning.
I seen it...the name was blacked out. I had no idea from Adam who had wrote it. I've seen worse allowed to stay on a forum thread by posters.

I still don't understand the contention other than a post was placed outside of a tagged forum area. This entire post has me confused.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seen it...the name was blacked out. I had no idea from Adam who had wrote it. I've seen worse allowed to stay on a forum thread by posters.

I still don't understand the contention other than a post was placed outside of a tagged forum area. This entire post has me confused.

The "Removing private site communication" stuff is the concerning part. If the message was a private message and it was posted--even with the OP info blacked out, it's a potential problem. What does that mean?

Top Bottom