Fusing Schefflera?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
hi so I'm interested in the same topic as well. I see that people here say it can't be done but I saw a post that makes me think that the trunks wouldn't have any choice but to fuse. Maybe this technique and incorporate a aerial root like wrapping the mass of trucks with

I think it is quite probable... but the question would be whether or not you could get the results another way... perhaps faster. Also schefflera doesn't have particularly strong wood. Any exposed deadwood (including trunk hollows) tends to rot out very quickly. That needs to be taken into consideration as you start to think about what your tree might look like down the road.

Reaction score
I know trident maples will fuse no experience of this tree but would expect if the stems were damaged (cuts, bark removed between adjacent stems) fusion would be much more likely, good luck

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
So you recommend I remove the bark slightly on the trunks where the touch?
I think it is quite probable... but the question would be whether or not you could get the results another way... perhaps faster. Also schefflera doesn't have particularly strong wood. Any exposed deadwood (including trunk hollows) tends to rot out very quickly. That needs to be taken into consideration as you start to think about what your tree might look like down the road.
Do you know of another option?

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I know trident maples will fuse no experience of this tree but would expect if the stems were damaged (cuts, bark removed between adjacent stems) fusion would be much more likely, good luck
So you would recommend I remove some some of the bark where the trunks are touching? Interesting... Is that a technique for aerial roots as well?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So you recommend I remove the bark slightly on the trunks where the touch?

Do you know of another option?

It is tough for me to comment because I don't keep them for bonsai - I have them growing in my landscape. They do quite well here in Southern California as long as they get a little water. I can comment on how they respond to pruning, and some other general questions, but I don't really have a lot of bonsai experience with them. Because of the dry air here, none of my tropicals develop aerial roots - including numerous ficus both bonsai and landscape.

Hopefully someone from Hawaii chimes in. They are extremely popular in Hawaii and grow like weeds there.

Reaction score
So you would recommend I remove some some of the bark where the trunks are touching? Interesting... Is that a technique for aerial roots as well?
I have fused maples in a season by removing thin strips of bark on the adjacent stems and using raffia tieing them togeather . might be worth a try on a few of your saplings. they fuse as they callus over, very fragile for a further season or two!

Top Bottom