future picea forrest

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Try dwarf Norway spruce
don't seem like it...

Just a question. Thee out out of the 5 have a ton of new needles. 2 still are as green as when I bought them but had no winter buds and are doing nothing now. Are these going to die? Or create winter buds next july?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't seem like it...

Just a question. Thee out out of the 5 have a ton of new needles. 2 still are as green as when I bought them but had no winter buds and are doing nothing now. Are these going to die? Or create winter buds next july?

I've seen spruce sit and not grow buds for two or three years then pop all over. They can do that.
They can also sit for a season or three like that and then die. I guess anyways, haven't actually had one do that but I'm sitting on a couple that haven't grown a bud for two years now, could go either way. Green is good.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've seen spruce sit and not grow buds for two or three years then pop all over. They can do that.
They can also sit for a season or three like that and then die. I guess anyways, haven't actually had one do that but I'm sitting on a couple that haven't grown a bud for two years now, could go either way. Green is good.
wow! that's new for me!
Fingers crossed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Alberta grew well in spring...
It had aphids a lot this year, I actually burnt em with a lighter.

The needles are kinda brown around the burn, but green too!

It kind of looked on its way out all summer, but since it has gotten cool, it is putting on new growth again.

On another note....
I got 2 Black Hills Spruce from Leo.
One is green and ok.
One is brown and dead.
It happened real fast.

I think yours want to live.

Keep us updated!

Sorce

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
If it is picea abies then according to stage of the foliage it is super weak. It is strange to have trees from nursery in such state. They tend to thrive in good conditions. They look like collected spruces from very harsh conditions. My spruces collected from such conditions tend to recover in 1-3 years and back-bud well.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it is picea abies then according to stage of the foliage it is super weak. It is strange to have trees from nursery in such state. They tend to thrive in good conditions. They look like collected spruces from very harsh conditions. My spruces collected from such conditions tend to recover in 1-3 years and back-bud well.
I believe these are not picea abies. For sure they are weak. I paid like 5 bucks for each. It was all they had.
3 of the 5 have been backbudding profusely. They were almost barerooted and stuck in fast draining inorganic soil and fed twice a week with rhizotonic.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, I have been wanting to go back and get 2 more!

Do you have Saburo Kato's book on Forest Plantings, Rock Plantings & Ezo Spruce? It's one of the best bonsai books that are in existence.

He writes about how you can take simple and awkward material, stuff that would probably never be good on its own, and create amazing compositions with it. The writing in the book is extremely sensitive and very good!

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am going to say the spruce in the original post are indeed Picea orientalis.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
wow that book is pricey! nice spruce's! I too want to make a forest planting with mine someday. looking forward to updates! good info in this thread already! you guys are great.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you have a plan of what goes where, it may pay to go straight to a slab that you epoxy tie downs in the right places. I would make this planning be step 2.5.

Otherwise, you'll have a tricky task of wiring the trees to a board, a sheet of mesh, or a bamboo frame, or something along this line to make your actual forest design. I've done it this other way and found to be full of 'annoyances' :mad:.

Regardless, keep step 4 !
looks like Norway Spruce; Picea Abies.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
don't seem like it...

Maybe, in a word.

Top Bottom