General comments

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank, thank you for the response. This is very helpful.

One question, when do you start applying the liquid organic fertilizer after planting the cuttings (how long do you wait after the cutting process)? Mine are rooting in about 4 weeks after being cut and planted out.
I wait until i see signs of new growth after the stem cutting, keep in mind i am using small amounts of liquid fertilizer for a short period of time up until the stem cutting as well. Weekly after germination until stem cutting, then wait for new growth extending and resume.

Reaction score
Nearly one year. Are we all doing any kind of measurements for comparison or is it too early?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, this contest is just about 2 years in. Is there any thought to having a second offset contest or maybe a different species contest to start say this January for new folks?

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I haven't had the time to scour every single post but I have been through many!!! Did anyone start their seeds indoors? Curious to see those setups....

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
girth brooks

i started by opening my seeds indoors, threat of move immediately potentially out of state or country, and then back deep into the 615...

no limit
of
time
entry
in
this
competition

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
girth brooks

i started by opening my seeds indoors, threat of move immediately potentially out of state or country, and then back deep into the 615...

no limit
of
time
entry
in
this
competition

Bring it! And I mean that in the most positive way!

If you can beat us all with black pine seedlings that started two years late... I want to know how!!

And by "beat"... I am enjoying this contest not for ego's sake, but by sharing information. I am trying to figure out how to have more contests like this....

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@PABonsai start some seeds if not a contest.

Sorce
Already ahead of ya. Ordered a bunch of seeds and collected a butt load off the parents' Japanese maple. Also collected some oak and walnut seed just for kicks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Already ahead of ya. Ordered a bunch of seeds and collected a butt load off the parents' Japanese maple. Also collected some oak and walnut seed just for kicks.

Half lit as I say.....

Dem ain't JBP! Lol!

We need seeds of any kind planted!

Plant.

Ok.ok...mote than half

Sorce

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Half lit as I say.....

Dem ain't JBP! Lol!

We need seeds of any kind planted!

Plant.

Ok.ok...mote than half

Sorce
The ones I ordered were scots and Japanese black pine, and another that's currently escaping me. Pinus nigra maybe? But there is JBP in there!

Btw when I replied to your comment I forgot this was a contest thread. I just saw the title and it didn't click lol

Reaction score
Nearly there.

Can we enter trees in growing pots or should we only enter those that are in 'proper' bonsai pots?

Also, should we consider extending the deadline for a 3-4 months to allow people to repot their trees? Not talking by myself, cause I can repot anytime in the middle of winter (very mild winters here), but I suppose most people do not share my conditions.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nearly there.

Can we enter trees in growing pots or should we only enter those that are in 'proper' bonsai pots?

Also, should we consider extending the deadline for a 3-4 months to allow people to repot their trees? Not talking by myself, cause I can repot anytime in the middle of winter (very mild winters here), but I suppose most people do not share my conditions.
I asked that question about the pots before. The rules state you have to present the tree in a bonsai pot.
I'm all about extending the contest, but for 2-3 years then since my trees aren't nearly ready to be presented in a bonsai pot 😁

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine will remain in this plastic trainer as it's not a winner anyway:) although it's pushing it self up and out of this one so...

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_134230915_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230818_134230915_HDR.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom