General comments

Wildfreddy

Seed
Reaction score
Interesting contest! Read about it too late, so I won't be participating. But I was also intrigued by the black pine that was created in 6 years by Mr. Matsuo featured in the Bonsai Today Master Series Pines book. And I was glad I found out I wasn't the only one asking myself how he did this (like in this post). Any way, a thing I like to do the last couple of days is searching the Japanese internet for bonsai (especially black pines) using Google translate, since I don't speak Japanese. So I came across this site showing a progression from seedling to bonsai in 7 years (you can translate the text trough your browser): https://ameblo.jp/daichi-daichid/entry-12110112801.html Thought it was a nice share. Good luck to everyone accepting the challenge!

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting contest! Read about it too late, so I won't be participating. But I was also intrigued by the black pine that was created in 6 years by Mr. Matsuo featured in the Bonsai Today Master Series Pines book. And I was glad I found out I wasn't the only one asking myself how he did this (like in this post). Any way, a thing I like to do the last couple of days is searching the Japanese internet for bonsai (especially black pines) using Google translate, since I don't speak Japanese. So I came across this site showing a progression from seedling to bonsai in 7 years (you can translate the text trough your browser): https://ameblo.jp/daichi-daichid/entry-12110112801.html Thought it was a nice share. Good luck to everyone accepting the challenge!

I have not planted my seeds yet. It will not be frost free here until May 15th.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know how long it normally takes for the cuttings to root? Anything I should be looking for? What do they start to look like if they are doing bad?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my largest from first batch that i only trimmed the tap root on and planted in 1/2 gal container. Its been in full sun and being watered with other plants. Notice the brown. Is this normal?IMG_2650.jpg

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks to me that you made the cuttings a little to soon. I think its better to wait untill the first real needles are a bigger. New roots wil grow very quickly. BT 20 article mentions roots coming out of the drainage holes of the pots within about six weeks!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hi, folks,
I have got my first batch of seeds from England today.
I will wait for the Spring (September here) to sow them. It's going to be some months...
And even today being the first day of the Autumn here, it's hot and humid.
I know the seeds should be stored in a cool dry place, which is not a possibility right now, so should I put them in the fridge for some months?
@Bonsai Nut , any tips?

Reaction score
Hi, folks,
I will wait for the Spring (September here) to sow them. It's going to be some months...
I know the seeds should be stored in a cool dry place, which is not a possibility right now, so should I put them in the fridge for some months?
@Bonsai Nut , any tips?
I kept mine in a fridge fwiw.

Reaction score
Hi, folks,
@Bonsai Nut , any tips?
I was told that yes you can keep them in the fridge. Just make sure they are bone dry...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is my largest from first batch that i only trimmed the tap root on and planted in 1/2 gal container. Its been in full sun and being watered with other plants. Notice the brown. Is this normal?View attachment 182102
The timing for the cutting based on development is fine. The substrate surrounding the cutting appears too coarse on the surface. The cuttings are usually placed in smaller particle media for the first stages. However i cannot see what is underneath or which part of your mix may retain moisture. From the picture it appears to be straight grit.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi, folks,
@Bonsai Nut , any tips?

If you are storing them for several months, they just need to be cool and BONE DRY. If they get wet they will start to germinate, or rot.

Top Bottom