Ginkgo biloba

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely tree. I do like this view if it's tilted but the branch on the bottom right is distracting. Removing that would give the trunk more emphasis.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages !
Lovely tree. I do like this view if it's tilted but the branch on the bottom right is distracting. Removing that would give the trunk more emphasis.

You are true , this branch is tubular , and it attracts the eye too much .
I hesitated to keep it , but if i remove it the trunk will appear much thinner and ramification will be less symetrical ( flame shape ) .
Moreover , maybe this photo will be the back face and so , this branch will be hiden in the back .
Thanks again for this advice .

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree I like the pot too!
Compared to this I have a ginko stick in a pot haha

That's really funny , just the moment you wrote this message , i wanted to post a photo taken five minutes ago on my ginkgo in the thread : " please share your photos "
but now , i' m going to post it here !
:)

A drop of water found refuge on my Ginkgo

20200425_083810.jpg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
I wanted to try some poetry this morning
🤔

Pearl heart butterfly wait for the wind to fly away ...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's really funny , just the moment you wrote this message , i wanted to post a photo taken five minutes ago on my ginkgo in the thread : " please share your photos "
but now , i' m going to post it here !
:)

View attachment 298293
Nice picture I think you should still post it in the picture thread :)

I have a question for you, ginko related.
I've got a small tall ginko, on the lower part of the trunk I have a bud that grows a set of leaves every year but it never extends into a real branch is there anything I can do to get it to extend into a branch?
Picture below is to visualize my question,

IMG_20200425_094107.jpg
Hope you don't mind posting this here..
If you do let me know then I'll have to start a new thread :)

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind posting this here..
If you do let me know then I'll have to start a new thread :)

Of course you can post here , you're welcome !

I have a question for you, ginko related.
I've got a small tall ginko, on the lower part of the trunk I have a bud that grows a set of leaves every year but it never extends into a real branch is there anything I can do to get it to extend into a branch?
Picture below is to visualize my question,

View attachment 298295

Absolutely not an expert in Ginkgo , i ve got only one , which is certainly the easier of all my trees .

Problem , the ramification is very complicated to obtain on the Ginkgo, that's why they are very often in the flame style .

They have a very strong apical growth , so we must try to control it by pruning the top in winter to boost the bottom buds .

But don't expect miracles because even on magnificient old ginkgos the branching remains very simple with poor secondary ramification .

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm a sucker for ginkgo, nice rugged pot too. I think if you removed this branch it would enhance the strong sturdy tree visuals as opposed to a more shrubby look

Attachments

• 20200425_090955.jpg
    20200425_090955.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 47

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a sucker for ginkgo, nice rugged pot too. I think if you removed this branch it would enhance the strong sturdy tree visuals as opposed to a more shrubby look
A quick virtual...

Attachments

• Untitled1_20200425075657.png
    Untitled1_20200425075657.png
    592.2 KB · Views: 42

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages @JoeR and for the virtual @plant .dr .

It could be a very good idea , but i still hesitate to remove this branch because it will make a much thinner ramification and Ginkgo are growing so slowly ...
In fact it will depends on the face choice , maybe it will be the opposite one ...
I think , i will have to turn around again and again and again , before i cut it , but maybe it will be a good solution ...
Thanks again !

Nature defies quarantine

I will not, so into the garden I’ll stay.

Thanks for this @Gdy2000 , that's a real teamwork , so now it's my turn to continue ...

Pearl heart butterfly wait for the wind to fly away

Nature defies quarantine
I will not , so in the garden i will stay

And if i want to break routine
Looking at miracle spring is the best way

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank's Leo , and thanks to all for the opinions given about this tree , it was à great help 👍

This morning , as the face choice is made , i have tried to find a pot that gives more strength to the trunk to transpote my Ginkgo , now , i think he deserved me to leave him alone for a while ...

20200429_093405.jpg

ps : i like the potters ( Philippe Torcatis " Terre ô Vert " ) who make 6 holes for the wire , it 's so much practical when the root ball is narrow and difficult to fix .

20200429_085527.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to crazy
Hahaha, beat you to it @sorce

I’m itching for a ginkgo every now and then, so you’re a step ahead of me there.

p.s. I seriously didn’t know that a ginkgo was a coniferous tree, was gonna correct you but then did some fact checking and learned something instead

well done
Seriously though, I'm still pretty new so I wasn't so much thinking he was wrong but "really ginko is a conifer!?"

Top Bottom