Ginkgo biloba

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
interesting I thought coniferous meant that the leaves do not fall off in the winter.
nope.
its because its an ancient species, its said that the leaves are needles grown so close together in the shape of the leaves.
if you look close enough you see all those thin straight lines from the stem towards the tip.
someone Please right me if im wrong :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If forced to guess what conifer meant I would have went with "produces cones". I've never seen an old natural tree and I know alot of the time cedar and whatnot don't have cones for the first 30 or so years. I just figured "wow I guess ginkgo get cones later in life... Weird".

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Dendrologists have long disputed where to put it in the classification. Now, Ginkgo biloba is now classified in a new family, the Ginkgoacea. And it's the sole species in this family !

Even reproduction is somewhat original, very different from Angiospermae (flowering plants) and not exactly like Gymnospermae (conifers).

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dendrologists have long disputed where to put it in the classification. Now, Ginkgo biloba is now classified in a new family, the Ginkgoacea. And it's the sole species in this family !

Even reproduction is somewhat original, very different from Angiospermae (flowering plants) and not exactly like Gymnospermae (conifers).
It's like the platapus of trees.

Top Bottom