9 would work too

I dont like 6 because its too like the fall color of the leaves

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My noob vote goes to 8.

The rim having that browny touch make it a smooth transition from pot to tree.
I also feel like that blue won't overwhelm the yellow of the leaves, but rather complement it nicely.
Same can be said for n3. Could it be a bit too tall, tho?! Idk 😄

Edit: nah, not too tall.
I just prefere the pot being more 'slim fit' (aka shallower), which helps the tree look even thicker (and maybe top heavy once the leaves come in play)

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#2 from color and shape. But it is on the big size
Grow this ginkgo out a little ;).

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
8 for me. I like the color and shape more than the others. The yellow leaves in fall will be explosive with color of the pot and it’s an Ino....

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve just bought a couple of these, but mine’s not ready for a shallow pot, don’t want plastic, and right now it’s in an ugly white glazed thing
2EDB6382-E978-47BE-86DD-474006D814FF.jpeg

Anyways, since you have an actual tree better than my childish effort, I’d say go with any of the darker colours to make autumn leaves pop?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ll preface this with a comment that I don’t believe I have found the perfect pairing yet, but here are a bunch I had to choose from. If you were choosing the pot for this ginkgo, which would you pick? Why?

1. Brown rectangle
View attachment 359238

2. Tan bag-shaped oval
View attachment 359239

3. Oribe rectangle Koyo
View attachment 359240

4. Black round Yamato
View attachment 359241

5. Brown soft rectangle Yamaaki
View attachment 359242

6. Yellow rectangle
View attachment 359243

7. Oribe oval Koyo
View attachment 359244

8. Blue soft rectangle Ino
View attachment 359245

9. Tan deep rectangle Keizan
View attachment 359246

10. Namako round
View attachment 359247
Is it safe to assume you are looking for a special show pot, or are you looking for a match for every day use. In the case of show pot the depth is not as important for the brief time it is used.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Most of the pots may seem to be a bit too big for this Ginkgo .

Personally, I prefer when there is not too much space all around the nebari, it helps to accentuate the power of the tree.
As it is the case with this photo found on Printerest.

Dark Brown oval could be a good choice in my opinion .

20210309_164841.jpg

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently made this lotus for this gingko. I thought the lotus shape and this particular glaze paired well with the drippy trunk. If you have a dark/purplish glaze it may look nice when the tree is in fall color.

1615306904773.png1615306897937.png

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is it safe to assume you are looking for a special show pot, or are you looking for a match for every day use. In the case of show pot the depth is not as important for the brief time it is used.
For now, everyday use. Unless/until it becomes special in some way, I won’t throw down for an especially nice show pot. My preference is to not swap pots around much for shows. As a result, my “show pots” are a bit larger...and I tend to have some nice pots in use all the time.

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
7 it is, hands down. Rich color helps the bark look better, should also complement the spring/summer foliage, and will be killer with the fall color.
I agree with Zach, #7 is above the rest. The lip and ovate body on this one in particular mesh well with the natural bulbous features on the Ginko. Not to mention the glaze will pair nicely with the different stages this tree will see over the year. Complimentary colors in the greens & blue and then the yellow on the rim for when in leaf and before drop, yes please 😛😛😛

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For now, everyday use. Unless/until it becomes special in some way, I won’t throw down for an especially nice show pot. My preference is to not swap pots around much for shows. As a result, my “show pots” are a bit larger...and I tend to have some nice pots in use all the time.
Fully understand, in that case a bit deeper than #8 would be desirable for every day use.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I voted for pic #3. One of the highlights to me with Ginkgo is the fall colors, those bright yellows. I think this pot would contrast well with it.

So what pot have you decided on?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok...so here we go. I wasn’t 100% sold on any of the pots I had, and for the size alone, I probably could have left it in the brown rectangle. This tree tends to grow roots so aggressively that it pushes itself up and out of the pot by 1/2” or more in a growing season...so underpotting might not be altogether healthy...or may not get it through the season.

However, the brown unglazed pot is dull dull dull and I wanted some color, 1 is out. I looked through the photos quite a few times, and many were too big (4,5,10), a few were too small (7,8,9). The bag-shaped oval is a good shape and size for the tree...but it’s a junk pot, and I wouldn’t enjoy looking at it for a year. 2 is out.

The yellow pot was a good shape and size, but the color didn’t work with the trunk color in my eye. And it was a bit “on the nose” drawing the comparison to the yellow fall color...so 6 was out.

Leaving only 1 choice not eliminated. Those who voted for #3 were with me...
C2D97113-D683-4219-875D-39DCBB697C20.jpeg5D10CB6D-9419-42EC-9D3A-46FA5A34FEEE.jpeg8DABFABE-33F1-416B-AC50-6E5DB36781FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
...Until I just couldn’t stand it. Love the pot, like the tree, couldn’t handle the combo. The oribe green pots are tough to pair, as much as I like them, they really go best with pink flowers...toyo nishiki quinces, cherries, azaleas...

So after deliberating over it for a day or two, I decided to make a swap.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This afternoon, I pulled the tree, and shoehorned it into this Ino...pot #8. It’s just under 11” wide, and just over 2” high. I may regret It come summer when it’s hot, thirsty, and pushing up out of the pot begging for something deeper but for now, it looks good.
5E45EC2B-A482-44F0-AF4A-3A4CB4B12524.jpeg
C935805B-8A3E-4143-B55C-72D4B1091B2D.jpegDFB93D49-B4EC-4845-A6AE-73E8B4AC7E34.jpeg09EAFEB6-76F2-4597-835A-0C392C741B68.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
#7, the curves complement a ginkos leaf shape, the color is a perfect contrast to the fall foliage, and the summer foliage too, size appropriate too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks good. I imagine with your watering system, you can make this shallower pot work. I am not that daring...I keep reading of dieback if they go dry. But you have a watering system...I do not. Can't wait to watch this tree wake up in it's new shoes.

Top Bottom