Globe Willow in Pearlite

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
here is the globe willow stump I saved when I first started at the nursery back in march. I was in a rush to get it potted and since I thought potting soil to be no good I tried some old recycled pearlite. here are the results.

Please not the severe damage caused due to willow borers. I've taken care of the bug problem and I think the damage may turn into a really cool hollow stump effect.

Attachments

• IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 42

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a few cuttings I took this year but nothing nice like that, kinda same story with my cottonwood. Borers got it and I saved it from work

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Im just speculating, it could be right or wrong. Just thinking out loud here.

Since perlite is so, 'light', it seems like a good Idea for large trunks like this. However, being so light it seems to me that the top heavy trunk will make it shift too easily and wiggle and force you to reallyyy tie it down well (Also may cause more accidents like falling off the bench to happen). With lava rock and pumice trees dont really want to budge whereas its easier to 'rock' a tree thats in pure perite.

I love perlite for small stuff and a mix in though.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm really just experimenting with this guy. I do have it wired firmly in the pot and currently my trees are not on benches but in fact I have claimed a couple rows of drip line normally reserved for landscape pines, so they sit on the ground protected from the wind. My real goal is to find out 2 things, does pearlite fines decrease recovery time, and does it create more higher quality feeder roots than other medias.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's one way to get out of OMONO!

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use a mix of perlite - pine bark as recommended by Brent for all my trees (except the mugo pines) and it works well. After a while perlite compacts and the trees don't have any problem staying put inside.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
I use a mix of perlite - pine bark as recommended by Brent for all my trees (except the mugo pines) and it works well. After a while perlite compacts and the trees don't have any problem staying put inside.
I've noticed the same thing with a boxwood I did back in the spring. It absolutely loves the stuff

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
try not breathing it... it is very lightweight powder.

Well, I smoke like a chimney and work all day long in acid fumes since more than 20 years, I'm pretty sure perlite won't be mark as the cause of death on my tombstone :)

Top Bottom