Thuja Occidentalis "Golden Globe" Progression 😅

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep looking at this foliage compared to a hinoki cypress I have and I really think it may have been tagged incorrectly. That being said, I'm looking at May for a repot and air layer.
At end of the day it really does not matter what it is thuja or Hinoki. They are very similar plants . There is lots of info out there on cultivating Hinoki . It all translates directly to thuja . What works for one will work for the other . Thuja is more a north east North American thing , because of the wild collected trees . They are very tough trees . Grow in tough situations in the wild . My only caution to you is . Be careful in the hottest part of summer they don’t get to dry . They love sun . But also love water . In the heat I don’t let mine get dry . Move them out of full sun . In the heat . Especially in the year there repotted

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome MeDupree from Philly. That's what my mom called it. When I first stared there was no internet. The first 5 years I felt like a tree serial killer. One of my first bonsai I got was in a 4 inch little pot. 40 years later I still have it. You will get good advice here and hopefully you will have many years as an artist with bonsai.

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Feeling like it's a good time to repot today instead of holding off until May. Nothing more than that, as I did suffer some die back either from opening up canopy or just the winter blues possibly. I have pine bark, calcined clay, black lava and compost that i could use for this.

20230421_080217.jpg

20230421_080236.jpg

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I probably should try to change the name of the thread eventually. Is that possible? I believe it's this chamaecyparis thyoides

Image result for chamaecyparis thyoides

Top Bottom