Good/best phosphorous (and/or potassium) sources?

I simply can't believe you're still going on and on and.......on about this. Plants use what they use at the time they need it. The fashion of using low N fert in the fall went out the window a decade ago.

FOR CHRISSAKES--USE A BALANCED NPK FERTLIZER FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. At this point, making this kind of fine distinction about which plant needs what is silly. They need a solid, well-rounded resource to recover.

I literally made this thread because you told me my high-N was imbalanced and I have so much of the stuff I wanted to get the other macros to balance it I don't know why on earth this would upset you but sorry I asked

Not upset, just kind of WTF? You ask, but don't really listen, which sometimes happens. Use a balanced fertilizer. Don't have to "balance" the others to measure up to the N. Using a balanced fert will do that in time.

this thread is making me feel way better about my just-wing-it fertilizing approach

If you want to "convert" your 24-8-16 to a more "balanced" formula, you can go ahead and buy a box of Miracle Gro "Bloom Booster" which is 15-30-15. Mix the two equally and you'll have the equivalent of 39-38-31 which is not far from a 1:1:1 ratio. Then you would use it at a rate of 1/2, i.e. if each individually says to use 1 tsp/gal, you could mix 1/2 tsp of each into a gallon of water.

That's probably the simplest way to do what you are asking without going out and just buying a bag of 10:10:10 or something similar.

If you want to "convert" your 24-8-16 to a more "balanced" formula, you can go ahead and buy a box of Miracle Gro "Bloom Booster" which is 15-30-15. Mix the two equally and you'll have the equivalent of 39-38-31 which is not far from a 1:1:1 ratio. Then you would use it at a rate of 1/2, i.e. if each individually says to use 1 tsp/gal, you could mix 1/2 tsp of each into a gallon of water.

That's probably the simplest way to do what you are asking without going out and just buying a bag of 10:10:10 or something similar.
;-)

Reactions: SU2

That's the right answer :D I'm even able to order an almost-exact amount to make a perfect mix, problem solved! Got the minerals formula to go along with it too:

19700518_223603.jpg

I really like the formula of the 'biotone garden-tone' product (it's 3-4-4), am planning to get that next (for when the current+bloom-booster is gone)

Not upset, just kind of WTF? You ask, but don't really listen, which sometimes happens. Use a balanced fertilizer. Don't have to "balance" the others to measure up to the N. Using a balanced fert will do that in time.
I don't want to throw-away what I have, I have to stretch my bonsai $$ as best I can and just couldn't imagine throwing away pounds of miracle gro because it was the wrong %'s :)

[edit- FWIW I'm planning to get the biotone stuff sooner than later and would switch immediately, the miracle gro would become just for the landscaping plants- still good to be balanced obviously!]

Last edited:
I don't want to throw-away what I have, I have to stretch my bonsai $$ as best I can and just couldn't imagine throwing away pounds of miracle gro because it was the wrong %'s :)

[edit- FWIW I'm planning to get the biotone stuff sooner than later and would switch immediately, the miracle gro would become just for the landscaping plants- still good to be balanced obviously!]

You have a lawn and/or some landscaping? Use the high N stuff on that next spring. I'm sure those plants would appreciate it

Huh? So you're going to go out an buy fertilizer to supplement the stuff you have? That means you're buying fertilizer...Why not just buy something balanced and just be done with it. Seems to me, by spending money on supplementing what you have is throwing good money after bad and spending more in the long run....That's just me, though.

Huh? So you're going to go out an buy fertilizer to supplement the stuff you have? That means you're buying fertilizer...Why not just buy something balanced and just be done with it. Seems to me, by spending money on supplementing what you have is throwing good money after bad and spending more in the long run....That's just me, though.

So it's fine to use the 24-8-16 on landscape plants? I wouldn't be better-served giving them a balanced? Am unsure if your suggestion for balanced was bonsai-only!

[edit- fwiw it's not like this is 'throw away', I always fertilize my landscape plants as well so would want the better option for them, whether it's higher nitro or balanced :) ]

You have a lawn and/or some landscaping? Use the high N stuff on that next spring. I'm sure those plants would appreciate it
Yeah that's the plan, getting biotone garden-tone (3-4-4) to use alongside my minerals granules, the miracle gro will be for the landscape plants *but* even in that case would I be better off getting the 'bloom' product so I can have a balanced? Or higher nitro is better for in-ground landscape plants, generally?

Neem oil when health is not enough!

Sorce
Prophylactic neem? Or am I confusing what you meant? You were talking about preventing problems before they happen and mentioned anti-fungal in that context (is neem a good anti-fungal? I wasn't aware of that, hydrogen peroxide and lime sulfur were the only two I knew for sure)

Prophylactic neem

Far as I remember Smoke saying....

All fungal is prophylactic, or preventative.

Removal is said to be the only cure.

Though I noticed the neem help on my already mildewy smoke tree....

I'm too big on prevention to let that change my mind!

Sorce

Far as I remember Smoke saying....

All fungal is prophylactic, or preventative.

Removal is said to be the only cure.

Though I noticed the neem help on my already mildewy smoke tree....

I'm too big on prevention to let that change my mind!

Sorce
I'm sorry but I want to be sure I understand you - you are using neem prophylactically? How often are you applying? I want to be as big on prevention as I can be too!!

If you live on the west coast...

Super Iron 9-9-9

Iron, soil acidifier, and balanced 9-9-9 fertilizer all in one. 50 lb bag costs $28. And the iron doesn't stain, either.
Looks great, not on west coast unfortunately :/ There's a product 'biotone garden-tone' that's 3-4-4, am planning to get that and use alongside my mineral supplement (am still unsure whether the non-water-soluble iron in my minerals supplement is useful or not, it'd mean the difference between the product being high/low iron content and I'm unsure if whether it's good or not:
19700518_223603.jpg

Next time am just going to get iron chelate liquid so I know it's 100%!

Yeah that's the plan, getting biotone garden-tone (3-4-4) to use alongside my minerals granules, the miracle gro will be for the landscape plants *but* even in that case would I be better off getting the 'bloom' product so I can have a balanced? Or higher nitro is better for in-ground landscape plants, generally?

I would rather use the high N on my landscape plants in the spring when growth is higher than my bonsai. Once you use up the high N stuff, switch to more balanced for them too.

Those plants are in the ground, not a pot so there is less risk for issues with too much fertilizer. When you put things in pots, the game changes a bit.

I would just use it.
At high doses of course.

I'm sorry but I want to be sure I understand you - you are using neem prophylactically? How often are you applying? I want to be as big on prevention as I can be too!!

I used it purposely on my mugo in spring as a prevent for needle cast.
It seems to have worked well.

I sprayed everything else a bit too but not for any purpose.

If someone could prevent spray bottles from fucking up after 2 squirts....
I'd use it more Probly...
That has determined my use more than anything!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom