Good times at the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection (Imbedded photos)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for posting, great trees, great situation for you and the collection

Met David when he was in Rochester for the symposium last year, saw his demo there and at our club meeting. Very knowledgeable and very easy to talk to. I'd love to have the chance to work with him.

Chris

If the man has an inflated ego I've never seen it even a little... if anything he's one of the most generous hearted professionals I've met. That may not make him a larger than life personality... but that makes him a font of wisdom its easy to drink from. ;) In the end, having experienced the force of nature that ego can bring out, and the quiet gentle personality of others... I think there's room for both, as long as that force of nature doesn't lay waste to everything around it. lol

V

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I visited the collection in the middle of January when I was traveling for work. It is a fantastic collection and the fact that it is open to the public for free makes it even more special.

It is a wonderful place with it's own flavor... very different and formal from Elandan...

I also visited Elandan on the same trip. I think it is the contrast between the two collections that makes them complement each other. It does make me wonder what the Pacific Rim Collection would look like if Dan Robinson had become the curator.

I hope to make it out there again sometime. I went back to Elandan twice and would have loved to make another trip to the Pacific Rim collection but this pesky thing called work got in the way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have to confess... I'm glad he never got that job... it would have been a loss on more levels than I can think... Elandan was born because he didn't get that job.... it wouldn't have happened in the same way if he had... and the loss of not having drawn David here would also have been great.

What was a great disappointment for Daniel in that time I think brought out his best... And he would have likely killed someone by now if he had to attend all the meetings David does. lol

Love both of those men, and completely happy they are where they are. lol If you come out this way again I'd happy to even have you stop by, I live about 15 mins from Elandan. :)

V

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have to confess... I'm glad he never got that job... it would have been a loss on more levels than I can think... Elandan was born because he didn't get that job.... it wouldn't have happened in the same way if he had... and the loss of not having drawn David here would also have been great.

What was a great disappointment for Daniel in that time I think brought out his best... And he would have likely killed someone by now if he had to attend all the meetings David does. lol

Love both of those men, and completely happy they are where they are. lol If you come out this way again I'd happy to even have you stop by, I live about 15 mins from Elandan. :)

V

How wonderful things turn out sometimes (even when it seems gloomy at first)... thanks for sharing. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario...

The history of our art is as fascinating as the trees it has produced. The personalities and the imagination is something marvelous and at times mind bending (tree bending) to behold.

V

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for sharing this. It brings back good memories - I have many fond memories of joining Dave for the workshops he held at the Pacific Rim collection in the early 90s while I was working on my dissertation at UW. Dan was just building Elandan gardens at the time - when I visited there it seemed to change weekly. I recall he and Peter Adams had a partnership at the time - I still have several trees I bought from Peter at Elandan Gardens. I'm looking forward to seeing Dave again at our state convention in April.

Scott

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for sharing this. It brings back good memories - I have many fond memories of joining Dave for the workshops he held at the Pacific Rim collection in the early 90s while I was working on my dissertation at UW. Dan was just building Elandan gardens at the time - when I visited there it seemed to change weekly. I recall he and Peter Adams had a partnership at the time - I still have several trees I bought from Peter at Elandan Gardens. I'm looking forward to seeing Dave again at our state convention in April.

Scott

Wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing this... Dave was a huge early influence for me as well in my early days... I met him before I met Daniel, though he doesn't remember that fact. lol It's a great community.

Hope you'll post photos of your convention.

Kindly,

Victrinia

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing this... Dave was a huge early influence for me as well in my early days... I met him before I met Daniel, though he doesn't remember that fact. lol It's a great community.

Hope you'll post photos of your convention.

Kindly,

Victrinia

For what it's worth, I lived in Bremerton for a while also in the mid-80s. Those were BB (before bonsai though). Never thought I'd miss the weather, but come August ....

Scott

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Eric finished the main tree for the time being... it came out pretty sweet...

Looks so small when you get it next to some of the other monsters in the room.... lol

V

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Please tell me what the tree is at the left back center with the fluted trunk??? Haw? It's a grand tree for sure.
Eric must have worn his fingers out on the large one in that group, it looks great!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Please tell me what the tree is at the left back center with the fluted trunk??? Haw? It's a grand tree for sure.
Eric must have worn his fingers out on the large one in that group, it looks great!

That beautiful monster is probably the largest boxwood I have ever seen.... It's part of David's personal collection. :)

V

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey stranger! Love that cedar in post 2. One of my favs at Wayerhauser.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's GREAT to see you posting again! And good to see that you guys are still working trees. :) I didn't figure you'd given it up, but hadn't seen any updates here or on your blog in a long time. I hope you have a quick recovery, and hope all else is well. Say hi o Eric for me too.

I really need to get up to Elandan and the Pacific Rim Collection on one of my trips out to Michaels! How far are you guys from Portland?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A

Eric finished the main tree for the time being... it came out pretty sweet...

Looks so small when you get it next to some of the other monsters in the room.... lol

V

What is amazing to me is the amount of space in that greenhouse, and turntables for the heavy ones. Strikes right to the heart of my jealousy vein....

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks for the photos and the words. I lived in the pacific NW for a while (east side of the mountains), but never got to the collection. I've always regretted that.

Alas, my traveling days are over now, and I'll not make it out there. So these pics, and others I see, will have to do.

News from the curator is that he has finally submitted his updated material for his book, Basic Bonsai Design. The initial work was presented thru ABS in 1995. The chapters have doubled in numbers, so hopefully it will be out soon.

Very good news. The original little book was -- IS -- one of the best and most useful books ever published. I've been recommending it for years.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

V

I have to say that I am too. Elandan is an extension of Dan himself. It would have been a great loss if it had never been created. It sitll makes me wonder what the Pacific Rim collection would look like with a Dan Robinson twist.

It is unlikely that I will be able to get out there any time again soon. Portland may be possible. It is a bit of a drive from Portland but it is worth it. I will see what the future brings. If I get the chance again I will definitely try to look you up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's GREAT to see you posting again! And good to see that you guys are still working trees. :) I didn't figure you'd given it up, but hadn't seen any updates here or on your blog in a long time. I hope you have a quick recovery, and hope all else is well. Say hi o Eric for me too.

I really need to get up to Elandan and the Pacific Rim Collection on one of my trips out to Michaels! How far are you guys from Portland?

Dude... like less than three hours.... :mad:

lol:cool:

I'd be thrilled to see you. I've been so crazy busy it's a wonder I sleep sometimes... lol so something had to give. Posting was one of them... :(

Hugs,

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What is amazing to me is the amount of space in that greenhouse, and turntables for the heavy ones. Strikes right to the heart of my jealousy vein....

The shear space in the greenhouse, cold greenhouse, and the shade area in the non-public end of the collection is impressive... as are the trees themselves. If I can't own something like that, at least I get to work in it. lol

It's a mecca of bonsai activity. Fo' sho... lol

V

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe there is a Hinoki Cypress there, formal upright? If so do you have any recent pics?

Top Bottom