Greetings to you forum.

Tribalman

Seed
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum and to the arts. I've joined for advice and guidance from any and all. Within this new year, I'll gladly take you all through my growth in experience and you'll hopefully get to see what my trees look like at the end of the year.

I'd like to start by saying thank you. For those of you taking the time to read this.
My name is Nathan, but you may call me Tribal (Its a nickname I was given a while ago). I live in south florida. And I've researched most things about the art of bonsai. I've done my first few rounds of searching and shopping for places to buy starter trees and I've ended up with a good collection so far and I'd like now to show you what my favorite out of the few I have are..

Brazilian Rain

Portulacaria afra (I think)

And an Unknown I was hoping someone could tell me. It fruits.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry I can't help w the identity of the unknown, but they all look pretty healthy. I like the jade a lot but I see two very different trees there. I've never worked w jade before, but I think I've heard that they strike as cuttings very well as long as they are kept relatively dry. That top section has nice movement and density.

Thanks,
David

Tribalman

Seed
Reaction score
The jade would have to be my fav. But if you notice, on the bottom there's a chunk of it missing, I'm not too sure if I'd like to make two trees out of this one. But I have a bit of a plan on how I can fix that missing space. I'll start a new post on the problem areas I'm having on some of these trees and share what my ideas are for fixing. Then see if anyone thinks it'd be a good idea in the first place x]

Tribalman

Seed
Reaction score
Could the unknown be a mulberry?

That's the best guess I have so far. Most likely the correct one. Still not sure, the leaves are a bit different but I think you may be right.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Could the unknown be a mulberry?

Indeed, it's a Red Mulberry (Morus Ruba) . It produces distinct juvenile and mature foliage from a three (and even five) point lance shaped to mature spade shaped leaves. Produces edible fruit that resemble blackberries heavily in summer and sporadically throughout the year.

While in development it will really help to cut all flowers before they begin to fruit. You've got a nice start to that Mulberry and in a few years it will really take shape.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Tribal,
I'm in the development phase with a mulberry I collected a few years ago. They grow super fast in the ground. I moved mine to a trainer last spring, starting to develop branches. Hope your project goes well, nice to see someone else using the specie. Raintrees are fun, and bulletproof!
Welcome!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Huge welcome to you and the world of Penjing and Bonsai :D

Top Bottom