Grow Setup For At The Office?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmm….I was thinking of the expression of the person at school that would give you $1000+ ……to grow things with students under grow lights. I visualize a hardy grin and crinkled forehead.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tractor Supply has a grant program for school gardening programs. Don't remember how much... maybe $250? We used the grant to get bulbs for a plant cart set-up that the school already had, other supplies. Other stores might have similar programs.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those are the ones we have at the house! We hung them from the bottoms of the venatian blinds in the back room so we could easily adjust their height, and put all our garden starts on bookshelves by the windowsills. Between the broken sunlight and the grow lights, we had great success.

For in a school, though, I was looking for something a little more nondescript, that wouldn't draw attention, or take up allot of space. At least until I can show I can make this into something I can get the students in on and request that funding.

Fair enough. Let us know what you end up doing!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I found a simple desk lamp at the thrift store, and bought a 17 watt LED brow bulb that goes up to 27.9 PAR for it. That should get me started. I also found an 18" plug in fluorescent light that I plan to set up on the book shelves behind my desk once I can find a suitable grow bulb for it.

As soon as I have a chance I'm going to put my little ficus in real pot, as far as I have a small collection of yard sale pots goes. I'm already getting looks for the stack of pots behind my chair, but it looks like there might actually be two trees in there, and I have no idea what I'll find beneath the soil. I can only imagine what folks will say once I drag a bucket of substrate in the door, and start making a mess all over the parking lot on lunch break.

Hmmmm….I was thinking of the expression of the person at school that would give you $1000+ ……to grow things with students under grow lights. I visualize a hardy grin and crinkled forehead.
Hey, it IS Colorado. We're the team that lost the Stoner Bowl in 2014. LOL

No, I figure if I request $1000 they'll give me $200. The $1k is a rough estimate for if we go all out like I'd like to, but I'm not really expecting that. And if I get laughed out, I'll hit up the thrift shops again, and buy another bulb and another starter tree each payday for a couple months.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, I was thinking I might have a two-fer out of that one ficus, but wound up with a lots-more-fer.
I'll see about some pics tomorrow, but wound up with a total of 15 plantings out of that stupid tree!
Decided to bring it home for the weekend to put it in a decent pot since things are finally starting to ramp up at work. Good thing I did. Every little sprout I pulled off thinking it was just a sucker came out with a decent root attached, and I couldn't help myself. Put every single one in a pot of some sort- whatever I could find.

I suspect that a good chunk of them will die. Got started, had one larger trunk in a pot and was turning to the next when my father came out of the house and asked for help getting his carport out of the tree after some heavy winds put it ten feet up a maple yesterday. So I dropped the rest in a bucket of water and left it there for almost two hours before I got back to it. I figure at least a few should make it.
But I may have extra starter material for work, and a few to play with after hours.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Joke's on you, they will all live!
If that happens, then I might have to become a straight ficus man. FINALLY, something I CAN'T kill! LOL

Though, admittedly, I've already put more effort into setting these up for success than any of the trees I've collected.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If that happens, then I might have to become a straight ficus man. FINALLY, something I CAN'T kill! LOL

Though, admittedly, I've already put more effort into setting these up for success than any of the trees I've collected.
I am trying to strike some ficus Too Little trimmings from when I butchered mine. If they take, I'll send you a couple. Maybe they will actually make it to you this time.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am trying to strike some ficus Too Little trimmings from when I butchered mine. If they take, I'll send you a couple. Maybe they will actually make it to you this time.
RIGHT!?
Context for others; she sent me a barbados cherry for a student of mine, only it never arrived. Just sorta disapeared into the abyse. Still not sure what happened.
I wound up going to the closest garden center four days after the school year ended and taking the guy a ficus lyrata so that he'd have SOMETHING at least. Waiting for our software accounts to update for the new year so I can message him and see how it's doing.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
20210809_123437.jpg

Here's the one at work. Needs wiring, then it might actually fit under the lamp. Once I can set up something on the bookshelf, I'll be able to bring some of the others in.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kicking around the idea of a student activity involving a collecting outing. Probably wouldn't even be this year. I'd have to gauge interest before getting something of the sort approved. Already had a couple students comment about their interest in bonsai or related things during new student orientations, so I'm hoping for a few to back that up once classes get started in a couple days.

I'm essentially thinking a nature hike on some nearby public lands, but bring a shovel just in case. Wouldn't be hard to get a trip like that covered by the school, but it would be a bit more than your standard field trip.
Would need permits from the local BLM or Forest Service office, so getting solid numbers would be imperative. If I have enough students onboard, I'm thinking a fall outing focusing on deciduous, then they could keep them here at the site the rest of the school year, and we'll start working them next year.

I'm feeling overly optimistic about the concept, so please poke holes in this idea to bring me back to reality.
Would love @AZbonsai's thoughts, especially after his summer bonsai classes. Different age group, so maybe @Njyamadori could fill me in on how he thinks his peers would feel about the idea.

CTHaynes

Seed
Reaction score
@ShadyStump I know it has been several months since this post was active, however, I am really interested in what came about this venture for you? Any good insight into the set-up that you eventually made? Any interest from students, or other faculty? Any following from the school or school board?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@ShadyStump I know it has been several months since this post was active, however, I am really interested in what came about this venture for you? Any good insight into the set-up that you eventually made? Any interest from students, or other faculty? Any following from the school or school board?
Wow, so caught up in other things that I've forgotten about this thread. This particular tree is doing quite well. Chopped by almost 50% about a month ago just to make elbow room on my desk, and a couple of those cuttings doing well. The original tree was one of many seedlings in the pot. Gave some away, still have a half dozen at home.

As for my last thought in this thread, this is where it stands as if now.
I keep up on this thread more.

The group I'm working with this year, and all the rest of life going on, I'm not so sure about a collecting trip.
HOWEVER, my principal is fully on board with putting in a full greenhouse, and in a more than reasonable spot to boot!
Funding is the big question there right now. I have a coworker who may jump in with me on that front.

Top Bottom