Need tips for new grow light setup

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FWIW: if you have adjustable shelves and are planing on only 2 shelves, dimmable isn't that useful, Mine are dimmable. I never dim them. I'll be getting the non-dimmable next time...they are a little cheaper
heres my issue is that i have some citrus trees im growing out to let the trunks thicken up, they are quite tall id say 2.5 feet tall right now so them on a shelf with a 12" spacing on the light already takes up more then half of the shelfs total height, then I have around 2.3 feet to fit the rest of my trees in, this was my thinking that if my lemons grow taller over winter I want to be able to dim the lights so I dont bleach the leaves. However I could always just keep pruning them down during winter so I will see how much of a price difference dimmable to non dimmable lights are

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yea i was planning to have my setup in my new kitchen aswell so I didnt want blurple anyways haha. However my kitchen is not south exposure, but I guess for 800 sq feet beggers cant be choosers 😋. I thinking im going to go with this shelf from amazon.

And as for lights im planning on having two shelves on that shelf with two lights that cover a 2 x 2 ' area. So I was thinking these lights.

However was also torn to spend a bit more to get these spider farm ones. I will need to ponder.

Since mine are in the kitchen, I went with more decorative shelving units. And the lights aren't as intrusive. I can't hang big lights from the ceiling. Tying to humor the husband as much as possible ;)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
heres my issue is that i have some citrus trees im growing out to let the trunks thicken up, they are quite tall id say 2.5 feet tall right now so them on a shelf with a 12" spacing on the light already takes up more then half of the shelfs total height, then I have around 2.3 feet to fit the rest of my trees in, this was my thinking that if my lemons grow taller over winter I want to be able to dim the lights so I dont bleach the leaves. However I could always just keep pruning them down during winter so I will see how much of a price difference dimmable to non dimmable lights are

The problem with that approach is that you dim the light for the rest of the tree based on the relatively few leaves in the "danger zone". It might be better to let whatever gets that close burn.

Depending on the panel you get...it might not put out enough intensity to burn acclimated citrus leaves anyway. Direct sunlight is > 100KLux. My panel puts out 20KLux with my meter touching the panel. That's a false number because 20KLux all blue is not the same as 20KLux of solar spectrum...it's a bit harsher because blue has the highest energy for visible light.

This is what makes lights so much more awkward than the sun :( My "sun-shadow" measures the same lux at the window pane as on the floor several feet away. The sun is so far away that the fall off in intensity over a few feet is functionally zero. My LEDs, however, fall from 20KLux with the meter against the panel to something less than 10KLux at 12" distant. Those numbers are off a bit...the sun is still out and raising the 12" measurement some...but the fall off is dramatic!

Lux meters are pretty cheep these days. You might consider adding one to your light order if you can. The cheap (sub $50) ones won't measure par...but there is a lot to learn from just measuring Lux.

And don't forget you have another knobs to turn: duration...

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Boom! Plan into reality shelf arrived today. Comfortably houses everything I need to bring in for the winter!

One light stipl needs to go under the top shelf still but its a pain to get them on so that will be a task for moving day.

the way I have it set up the lights are 12" (ish) above the plants on both shelves.

And will need to experiement with duration when winter hits. Also will need to install all the foil to get maximum light to the plant.

What do you guys think?

20210829_170046.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome….when spare $$ get a couple t5 for bottom/side supplimental light…blue spectrum.
Shade promotes green spectrum which does not photosynthesize,so some blue at undercanopy really increases brix and surplus ( good energy).

Or if you REALLY have spare $$ a couple led supplimentals.
These are excellent!!!

Benjofen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome….when spare $$ get a couple t5 for bottom/side supplimental light…blue spectrum.
Shade promotes green spectrum which does not photosynthesize,so some blue at undercanopy really increases brix and surplus ( good energy).

Or if you REALLY have spare $$ a couple led supplimentals.
These are excellent!!!
Just picked up an LED from HLG so good to know they are well thought of.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gearing it up! Grow lights are in, bookshelf comes tomorrow. And only thing i will need to do is actually complete the move!View attachment 394552
I ordered mine today. If they are good then I will probably grab at least one more.
if they are great then I will need 3 more.

Top Bottom