Gsbf convention

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think it's a cross between CA and Utah? Sounds interesting. I have 2 utah junipers I collected from the White Mountains in CA and that looks the same as mine. The bark looks differn't to me between CA and Utah, but foliage seems very similar.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al where are your pics?

I got some..been busy with the election. Doing Laundry, you know that kind of stuff. Thats right ladies I do my own laundry. I would never burdon my bride with my dirty clothes.

Here's a teaser from Sunday after Peter Warren finished up.

Attachments

• DSC_017000011.JPG
    DSC_017000011.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
collected juniper and Peter's demo tree

I don't know for sure if it is a cross between a Calif and Utah. The foliage is a lot like a Calif, but not exactly, and it has the smell of the Utah. This area is close to the Western junipers, but this doesn't seem to be one.
The picture that Al posted of Peter Warren's demo is a sierra that I collected about 4 years ago.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Bob, this is a plant I would like to know more about. It is a pygmy cypress and I am wondering if it came from you.

Just the usual,

How long since it was collected?
How long in training?
Where did that pot come from?

Attachments

• DSC_01040001.JPG
    DSC_01040001.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 96

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a few more.

Attachments

• DSC_00970001.JPG
    DSC_00970001.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_01010001.JPG
    DSC_01010001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_01060001.JPG
    DSC_01060001.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 80

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
pygmy cypress

Hi Al, I know the history of this pygmy cypress very well. It was sold at our REBS show about 15 years ago by a friend that I have done some collecting with over the years. The owner lived in S.F. and then moved to Sacramento. He passed away maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and the tree went to Collection North, where it now resides. I do not know anything about the pot. I was disappointed to see it in the show in such rough shape.
I have a very large one in my collection that Ryan help me rework in a workshop this past Sept, and I've never been happier with it. We are going to repot it in a different pot that he is going to bring down to me.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was disappointed to see it in the show in such rough shape.

Hi Bob,

Can you elaborate a little, what exactly is the cause of your disappointment? Is it the health of the tree, or because it could be done more in terms of styling it?

P.S.: By the way, the 5 Pygmies that I bought from you the last couple of years, are doing great, growing like crazy here in Los Angeles. I repotted them and glad to see that they have not missed a beat. I was planning to buy a large redwood from you at the Convention (at least 2 feet tall trunk, possibly taller), but I missed the event. Let me know if you could send me some pictures, as you did in the past (attilasoos@stonningtongroup.com)

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
pygmy cypress

Hi Attila - The health of the tree is very good, but if you take a look at the picture, you will notice that the foliage pads aren't very well manicured, kinda unkempt. I'm glad to hear that yours are doing well, we had a number of pretty nice ones for sale at the convention. Will send you some redwood pictures. We are back at Riverside next year, see you then, if not before.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Attila - The health of the tree is very good, but if you take a look at the picture, you will notice that the foliage pads aren't very well manicured, kinda unkempt. I'm glad to hear that yours are doing well, we had a number of pretty nice ones for sale at the convention. Will send you some redwood pictures. We are back at Riverside next year, see you then, if not before.

Thanks Bob,
I agree, the tree looks somewhat overgrown and bushy. There is a lot of room to improve that crown.

Looking forward to the pictures...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Workshop photos

I never got a chance to see all the workshops. Does anyone have pictures of any of them? I am especially interested in the cypress workshop. Thanks all!

Top Bottom