Guess I'm planting some honey locust seeds...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got 100% germination with honey locust seeds. It was two full years back and I can't remember but they probably need pre treatment.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They require either sanding/filing or placing into nearly boiling water, but they readily germinate if pre-treated. For now, just make sure they stay completely dry until you are ready.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the pod has touched the ground, inspect each seed for a tiny hole on one side indicating a bug laid an egg in there...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
They require either sanding/filing or placing into nearly boiling water, but they readily germinate if pre-treated. For now, just make sure they stay completely dry until you are ready.
I was thinking that. I took one out to look at it last night and it legit looks like an uncooked black bean lol.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love honey locust trees, they are mean and badass. Pretty neat that it is one of the few anachronisms left from prehistoric times like the Osage orange and Kentucky coffee tree. That’s why the honey locusts have the defense mechanism they have, to defend themselves from mammoths and other extinct herbivores. I found this bad boy last year and have seeds from it stratifying as we speak. 😁 Some of its thorns clusters were approaching 24 inches long.

Attachments

• 63E76237-0FFD-49FF-9CFD-D540854FF9EB.jpeg
    63E76237-0FFD-49FF-9CFD-D540854FF9EB.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 4005ECF0-8B8D-4AD8-B45F-5B8FD7FD6644.jpeg
    4005ECF0-8B8D-4AD8-B45F-5B8FD7FD6644.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am growing about a dozen thornless under lights so far.
I got bored waiting for my JM to spit roots so I grabbed several pods from a tree and now I have something to do :)
So far boiling water has worked best. I also tried nipping a couple with nail clippers prior to soaking in tap water and must have nipped too deep cuz they haven’t rooted yet. I’m going to try sanding and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have them growing in my yard. Aside from the thorns, they are very pretty trees. The seed pods get a little messy in the fall, but nothing a mower can't handle.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several that are 2-3 years old now. I get nearly 100% germination from them and they grow fast.

Empty Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I collected some pods from a street tree (thornless) honey locust.

Will these be true to seed or might they produce trees with thorns?

Top Bottom