Guy_wires Collection

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Youve spend to much on icecream!

The seccond third and fourth layer of raffia probably wont do much but hey your doing it your way anyway :p

Ive had juniper growing and not turning brown untill after half a year so id say your not entirely safe yet !

How thick is the fd up i mean bended trunk?

One tip from flip, wrap the trunk in some wet towels for a couple of days before the bending it sounds silly but it gets more supple and easyer to bend

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spend too much on ice cream?! Dude. Duuuuude. Look up Clevers Ijssalon and the amount of awards they've received. If you are ever close to Noord Limburg, make sure you visit one of their establishments. It's worth every cent. If you take your wife and kids, make sure you leave some room for their leftovers; their coupes can contain half a kg of ice cream.

The trunk, or whatever will be left of it, is around 2.5-3cm in diameter.
There is 1 small branch that turned brown, I cut another branch off just to see how long it takes for them to die. It seems to be around a week or so before it turns crispy.
But active growth is a sign that there's something still alive. I'm not misting it, so it gets water from somewhere.

The wet towel trick is good, valueable! But softer material means easier slipping bark, doesn't it? I'll use it next time just to be sure.
Thanks for the tip!
Other things I did not do: I should have waited to wire it until winter as well. And I should mist it. I also think that I'm going too fast with turning the screws: one full twist every 2 weeks. There's a lot of bad practice in my backyard. If all my trees would die, I would have lost less than 100 euros. This juniper is one of my most expensive units to be honest.
But.. A lot of my trees are very forgiving and far from refinement. Since our retirement reforms, I'll have some 7-10 years extra as a working slave.. Which means I have at least 40 years of work and after-work-relaxation ahead of me. I'll have something to do ;-)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Spend too much on ice cream?! Dude. Duuuuude. Look up Clevers Ijssalon and the amount of awards they've received. If you are ever close to Noord Limburg, make sure you visit one of their establishments. It's worth every cent. If you take your wife and kids, make sure you leave some room for their leftovers; their coupes can contain half a kg of ice cream.

The trunk, or whatever will be left of it, is around 2.5-3cm in diameter.
There is 1 small branch that turned brown, I cut another branch off just to see how long it takes for them to die. It seems to be around a week or so before it turns crispy.
But active growth is a sign that there's something still alive. I'm not misting it, so it gets water from somewhere.

The wet towel trick is good, valueable! But softer material means easier slipping bark, doesn't it? I'll use it next time just to be sure.
Thanks for the tip!
Other things I did not do: I should have waited to wire it until winter as well. And I should mist it. I also think that I'm going too fast with turning the screws: one full twist every 2 weeks. There's a lot of bad practice in my backyard. If all my trees would die, I would have lost less than 100 euros. This juniper is one of my most expensive units to be honest.
But.. A lot of my trees are very forgiving and far from refinement. Since our retirement reforms, I'll have some 7-10 years extra as a working slave.. Which means I have at least 40 years of work and after-work-relaxation ahead of me. I'll have something to do ;-)

Ill keep it in mind not that we are close to noord limburg often but if we are ill check if we can get a fancy ice cream ;)
Still a happy wife is good tough so maybe not a waste of money :p

I will be forced to work another 37 years too after 10 years done already so plenty of time to do the heavy bends before im worn out lol

The weather has somewhat cooled down already so also there would be less transpiracy i gues but only time will tell hope it pulls trough and get its ass ready for round two ;)

If the bark will losen more when soaked i dont know i preformed this in winter jan/feb on a juniperus stricta and all went well also except one branch was lost.
At start it was also a straight same sized trunk"uncomon" junper, i documented my trunk bend attempt on that one heres the thread:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/juniperus-communis-what-would-you-do.24777/

Would love to see a picture of the whole tree tough!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
DSCF0237.JPG
Added to the collection of 'trees that will become bonsai in 20 years': Juniperus chinensis 'blaauw'.
Got two for the price of one. Or actually, one for the price of one, but all branches had their own set of roots. Here I hope that what I'm seeing is the transition between juvenile foliage to adult foliage.

My chinensis seedlings behave quite differently. They produce adult-like foliage almost straight away. Interesting phenomenon. It almost looks like there's 3 types of foliage: juvenile needle, juvenile scale, and adult scale.
DSCF0236.JPG

DSCF0234.JPG
Test results are in: the hormones applied with the intention to produce more adventitious shoots did not have the results I'd expect. But the production of adult foliage did speed up, by a few months.

DSCF0224.JPG
Scots pines

DSCF0226.JPG
When decapitating, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two worlds apart.

DSCF0232.JPG
This fat base ginkgo will be reduced further next year.
@defra next to it, is a real communis ;-) You should be glad yours isn't a communis. With a growth speed of 2cm a year (in an overized pot!) this really is long term material.

Have a nice day everyone! Thanks for reading.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 211516
Added to the collection of 'trees that will become bonsai in 20 years': Juniperus chinensis 'blaauw'.
Got two for the price of one. Or actually, one for the price of one, but all branches had their own set of roots. Here I hope that what I'm seeing is the transition between juvenile foliage to adult foliage.

My chinensis seedlings behave quite differently. They produce adult-like foliage almost straight away. Interesting phenomenon. It almost looks like there's 3 types of foliage: juvenile needle, juvenile scale, and adult scale.
View attachment 211519

View attachment 211522
Test results are in: the hormones applied with the intention to produce more adventitious shoots did not have the results I'd expect. But the production of adult foliage did speed up, by a few months.

View attachment 211525
Scots pines

View attachment 211526
When decapitating, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two worlds apart.

View attachment 211527
This fat base ginkgo will be reduced further next year.
@defra next to it, is a real communis ;-) You should be glad yours isn't a communis. With a growth speed of 2cm a year (in an overized pot!) this really is long term material.

Have a nice day everyone! Thanks for reading.

Nice,
Ive had one "real" communis and that grew pretty fast!
but then i killed it by doing to much work on it :eek:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice,
Ive had one "real" communis and that grew pretty fast!
but then i killed it by doing to much work on it :eek:
I started with 4 of them. 2 were placed in the ground, right before the 3 months of dry summer heat. One other was bare rooted. Now I have 1. I know the feeling ;-)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Common junipers are really weird ones. I've got one collected, next spring for repotting, uhm. Two bought as potted trees at nursery... dead.
That growth on your Blaauw juniper is gonna open into needles, I mean still juvenile. It needs only time and patience. The waiting game.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if the blaauw isn't just a mislabeled chinensis Stricta variety. Those stay juvenile for ever.
The foliage is looking denser though, and the stricta plants I own all put out needles during the extension growth. They open up pretty fast. This blaauw is taking longer to open up.

The difference though, between different cultivars/types of chinensis is interesting to watch develop.

I struck some 20 cuttings of the blaauw. Let's see what happens. There are too few people growing chinensis nowadays. To be honest, it took me a month to obtain the blaauw variety because everywhere else they're sold out.
After asking the local nursery guy to keep his eyes open at the auctions, last week he gave me a call that I shouldn't count on them.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm starting to wonder if the blaauw isn't just a mislabeled chinensis Stricta variety. Those stay juvenile for ever.
The foliage is looking denser though, and the stricta plants I own all put out needles during the extension growth. They open up pretty fast. This blaauw is taking longer to open up.

The difference though, between different cultivars/types of chinensis is interesting to watch develop.

I struck some 20 cuttings of the blaauw. Let's see what happens. There are too few people growing chinensis nowadays. To be honest, it took me a month to obtain the blaauw variety because everywhere else they're sold out.
After asking the local nursery guy to keep his eyes open at the auctions, last week he gave me a call that I shouldn't count on them.

I will strike some shimpaku cuttings next spring if they take you could have some if you like
Stricta is a odd species wich to be said not so suitable still i got three and they seem to do fine maybe im a little odd to lol

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh! I'd be happy to receive them!
I'm fine with paying for shipping, and a little extra for the effort.

Strictas are weird indeed, but I like them. Maybe not the best bonsai type, but it keeps you busy.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
DSCF0256.JPG
Sippin' on gin and juice.

DSCF0251.JPG
How does one even care for Pinus longaeva? I haven't got a clue. But they've been alive for 6 months now. That's something. Added some lime stones to help lower the pH. There is powdered limestone dust mixed in the soil, but the leafs kept changing color so I added a few chunks on top.

DSCF0255.JPG
Pomegranate already in fall colors.

DSCF0258.JPG
For some reason, this mugo has been flushing year round. All juvenile foliage. It's a friggin mess. This is the third time buds have opened like that, this year.

DSCF0253.JPG
Ground growers

DSCF0245.JPG
Tiny JRP, 2.5 years old.

DSCF0249.JPG
Scots pines

DSCF0252.JPG
Poonipers.

DSCF0263.JPG
The angle is a bit off. But this is my first juniper ever. Twin trunk Juniperus chinensis var. Stricta.
A looooong way from looking like anything. But we'll get there. On purpose I left way too many branches. This gives me more to work with later. Don't put all of your eggs in a single basket, that kind of thing.
Plucking dead needles was pretty easy, took me about an hour with a bent-tip tweezer. On some places those needles are still there because there were new buds popping.
Next spring it's getting a cut back. Rebuilding some branches..

Taking about rebuilding branches, the mugo below was my first pine. I should be very ashamed. I know. But I want people to see that every tree starts out somewhere. In 2 years, if the buds close to the trunk do their work, I can possibly cut it back and start rebuilding every branch. Eventually it will land in the thrash, or not. It takes about 20 seconds to water it along with the rest. And it's a good tree to learn about the quirks of mugo pines.
DSCF0254.JPG

More to follow

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Now a test. A serious experiment (N=3) on JRP with 6-bap.
Watch closely and tell me which ones are treated with 6-bap and which ones are not. Then post your answer: A or B.
Let's start with picture A
DSCF0243.JPG
Description: not that dense, slender a bit taller than B. No adult needles yet but loads of juvenile.

And picture B
DSCF0244.JPG
Description: slightly smaller, adult needles in 1/3, more compact.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Me being a general jackass couldn't wait for next spring. So I did a little check on this akadama mama. Water kept pooling and it looked like it was a solid brick of sand, dirt and clay. This came out of the pot.
20181016_130141.jpg
This scots pine was collected in januari 2018. Then treated to feed the root system in particular.
I think it's healthy now.

The root base is in the top layer of the soil, which is mostly rootless akadama. The top layer was removed and that akadama was added to the bottom to expose said rootbase (raise the tree in the pot). Now it's back to growing untouched until winter dormancy.
No other rootwork was done except for a goatee that grew through the hole of the pot. That one was trimmed a little. You can see it dangling in the picture.

I'm starting to think I'm getting the hang of pines. But I'm staying careful nonetheless.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats some decent root growth!

To answer your previous post i think answer is B
The correct answer is indeed B.
It seems that this hormone keeps them smaller and the onset of adult foliage starts earlier.
Luckily the results show that the effect is mild. Now I feel fine trying it on some older stuff.
And on my blaauw juniper. For some reason, I can't find any literature about how adult foliage happens in junipers. I want to know if one can inhibit auxins and force adult foliage growth.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The Blaauws juniper did prove to be not 'true to type'. That happens sometimes when working with seedlings. The store gave me a new one, with the right foliage type. Mad props to tuinplant.nl for picking this up and fixing it, even though they had no obligation to. Consumer rights are pretty heavy in this country, and I lost my right by waiting too long to inform. Still, they went the extra mile for someone. That deserves at least a positive mention.

Thanks to @defra I went looking for itoigawa junipers at bonsaihut, which referred me to bonsaiplaza (how are they competitors if they give away their customers?! Doesn't matter, I like that style of honesty).
I have two rooted whips coming in the mail. Awesome.

I wanted to share some pictures from the fall. Even though I have very few deciduous, there is some color.
DSCF0280.JPG
Like this purple jack pine.

DSCF0281.JPG
And this flaming JBP.

DSCF0282.JPG
And some copper and regular beech.

DSCF0292.JPG
Or these bristlecone pines.

DSCF0294.JPG
Or these things that only Americans could ID. I think I know what they are but for some reason they took 2 years to germinate and they never got/get past this stage. They just don't get any taller, die back and start over (either from seed or from suckers, I don't know).

DSCF0283.JPG
Pooniperus Vaginia are popping up before they're stratified. Good luck!

DSCF0284.JPG
An imported Juniperus Phoenicea var. phoenicea.

DSCF0285.JPG
Some kind of Magnolia.

DSCF0287.JPG
Low hanging sun and a dirty lens. Perfect instagram material. It's just that I don't do instagram. Mugo pumillo.

DSCF0293.JPG
Long way to go for this 4 euro olive tree. I want to know if it's hardy.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Blaauws juniper did prove to be not 'true to type'. That happens sometimes when working with seedlings. The store gave me a new one, with the right foliage type. Mad props to tuinplant.nl for picking this up and fixing it, even though they had no obligation to. Consumer rights are pretty heavy in this country, and I lost my right by waiting too long to inform. Still, they went the extra mile for someone. That deserves at least a positive mention.

Thanks to @defra I went looking for itoigawa junipers at bonsaihut, which referred me to bonsaiplaza (how are they competitors if they give away their customers?! Doesn't matter, I like that style of honesty).
I have two rooted whips coming in the mail. Awesome.

I wanted to share some pictures from the fall. Even though I have very few deciduous, there is some color.
View attachment 216622
Like this purple jack pine.

View attachment 216623
And this flaming JBP.

View attachment 216624
And some copper and regular beech.

View attachment 216625
Or these bristlecone pines.

View attachment 216626
Or these things that only Americans could ID. I think I know what they are but for some reason they took 2 years to germinate and they never got/get past this stage. They just don't get any taller, die back and start over (either from seed or from suckers, I don't know).

View attachment 216627
Pooniperus Vaginia are popping up before they're stratified. Good luck!

View attachment 216628
An imported Juniperus Phoenicea var. phoenicea.

View attachment 216629
Some kind of Magnolia.

View attachment 216630
Low hanging sun and a dirty lens. Perfect instagram material. It's just that I don't do instagram. Mugo pumillo.

View attachment 216631
Long way to go for this 4 euro olive tree. I want to know if it's hardy.

Thnx for the credit but you like honesty so i have got to say it was maarten ( @Tentakelaertje ) who gave you the tip !

Reaction score
They are not competitors! Ron sells tree's for Maarten. There are big japans tree's that ron is taking care off that belong to maarten. You really should visite Bonsaiplaza if you have the opportunity. They are more friends then competitors.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went looking for itoigawa junipers at bonsaihut, w
If you are ever looking for young material, visit Bonsai Schule Dusseldorf. Werner just pulled a few crates with whips out when someone said they needed grafting material. He has MANY species in the young category.

Note: You have to ask him about it. His stock (1000+ trees) are not in the store section of the museum, but in his backyard, a block away. Ask @Tom Haest

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the corrections guys!

I have decided to stop shopping for now. Right now I have around 15 varieties of junipers to fiddle with. As well as 7 or 8 varieties of pines. If all, or even just a few, of my cuttings go well, the collection will expand rapidly. More than I have room for.
And I still need to keep the girlfriend happy with room for some flowering species. Which I have... Two? Maybe three.

Top Bottom