Zuisho JWP - with Guy Wires!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, Zuisho grafts well.

You want me to graft on all new branches and start over?
LOL, no just thinking you might try a couple in the areas you see as being too open... Perhaps a chop? 😁

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LOL, no just thinking you might try a couple in the areas you see as being too open... Perhaps a chop? 😁
Geez... let me finish wiring it out before you tell it sucks! Lol!!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Geez... let me finish wiring it out before you tell it sucks! Lol!!!
You know that I'm not saying that of course, just wondering what options you have with this cultivar. I don't know Zushio well enough to know if it responds to the same treatments as other cultivars. I'm just messing with you about the chop, did you miss the emoji?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You know that I'm not saying that of course, just wondering what options you have with this cultivar. I don't know Zushio well enough to know if it responds to the same treatments as other cultivars. I'm just messing with you about the chop, did you miss the emoji?
I can’t mess with you back? That’s not fair! Lol!!!

Zuisho is an amazing cultivar of JWP. It’s a dwarf variety, has short needles, backbuds readily, and is quicker to fatten it’s trunk and put on mature bark than most JWP. The original specimens were grafted onto JBP. Later, it was discovered it airlayers pretty easily, and can even be grown from cuttings! (The take rate of cuttings is very liw, only about 5%.)

I now have 4 of them.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can’t mess with you back? That’s not fair! Lol!!!

Zuisho is an amazing cultivar of JWP. It’s a dwarf variety, has short needles, backbuds readily, and is quicker to fatten it’s trunk and put on mature bark than most JWP. The original specimens were grafted onto JBP. Later, it was discovered it airlayers pretty easily, and can even be grown from cuttings! (The take rate of cuttings is very liw, only about 5%.)

I now have 4 of them.
Wow 4 that’s cool. You ever run across any small ones? I was just messing with you back from messing with me...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow 4 that’s cool. You ever run across any small ones? I was just messing with you back from messing with me...
No, no small ones. If you want one, contact Julian Adams. He starts them from airlayers and cuttings. His cuttings sell out quickly! Contact him via www.adamsbonsai.com. Mind you, they’re not cheap. But you cant do any better unless you get them direct from Japan. I bought two from Julian, one from a friend who bought it from Doug Paul (who has Japan connections), and one from Boon who bought a demonstration piece that Kobiachi created with two Zuisho 20 years ago. The two trees were planted on one of those lace rocks, and were there for 15 years. Well, never repotted or anything, they were taken off the rock, put in bonsai pots and auctioned off. Somehow Boon ended up with one, and from there, it became mine.

Here’s a picture:

C4B5A684-25CF-4B66-9922-628055E77BCD.jpeg

Sorry, not the best picture. I potted it in an antique Chinese pot last January. It’s a bit of a rehab project as it had decilined quite a bit while on the lace rock. I have no idea what happened to the companion tree.

It’s at Boon’s. I’ll be going there in about a week, and checking on it.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
He has some 3 year old white pine seedlings (from seed) that came from some area in Japan known for small needles, etc. "mount something or other".
I bought 3 of those plus some JBP he had. The zuisho he has now are just a handful of larger, more expensive trees as Adair said.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, no small ones. If you want one, contact Julian Adams. He starts them from airlayers and cuttings. His cuttings sell out quickly! Contact him via www.adamsbonsai.com. Mind you, they’re not cheap. But you cant do any better unless you get them direct from Japan. I bought two from Julian, one from a friend who bought it from Doug Paul (who has Japan connections), and one from Boon who bought a demonstration piece that Kobiachi created with two Zuisho 20 years ago. The two trees were planted on one of those lace rocks, and were there for 15 years. Well, never repotted or anything, they were taken off the rock, put in bonsai pots and auctioned off. Somehow Boon ended up with one, and from there, it became mine.

Here’s a picture:

View attachment 261894

Sorry, not the best picture. I potted it in an antique Chinese pot last January. It’s a bit of a rehab project as it had decilined quite a bit while on the lace rock. I have no idea what happened to the companion tree.

It’s at Boon’s. I’ll be going there in about a week, and checking on it.
I actually really like this one, I think it will be pretty stellar once you have at it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually really like this one, I think it will be pretty stellar once you have at it.
It’s more compact, with primary branches closer together on the trunk.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another back branch done:

0E1B2A9E-5EED-4BCB-BD31-EFA9B8BB7A2E.jpeg

As I get up into the higher portion of the tree, I find I accidentally bump the lower portions I’ve set, and I have to reset some twigs. I’m going to stop resetting (I wish I could stop bumping! Lol) until I’m completely finished. And I’m sure I’ll want to make minor adjustments anyway.

The next branch is a right/frontal branch. This is a whorl area. There used to be a major back branch which I removed a couple years ago. It was shading out the one I just wired, so the one I just wired was rather leggy and spindly. But it’s stronger now than it used to be. Now that it’s wired out, it will get better sun exposure, and get stronger.

And, there’s another bar branch on the left/back. Again, I’ll wire it out and see what happens.

Edited to add:

Hmmm... looking at the picture, it looks like that right/frontal is coming out of the inside of a curve, doesn’t it? So, I went to look at it again. It doesn’t. It actually comes pretty straight towards the front, but it moves right, so the photo makes it look like it’s coming from the inside of the curve.

So, with my wiring, I’ll bring it more to the front, to reduce that feeling. It will be a frontal branch

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking the same thing, it's starting to come together, so now want to see it all done!
I work on the tree in the mornings before it gets too hot. Geez... it’s 94 degrees outside right now.

That might not be very hot for some of you, but it is for me!

I did do a bit more work before I gave up due to the heat:

1C0827AD-69B1-4ACC-8229-AB5A5132FD94.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We've all seen you work inside.
That would be in Boon’s workshop!

I once worked inside my house, when Boon visited, and it was a cold rain outside. That’s happened once.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its done ok? Snip out the unwired top and you are done. Maybe keep a top yin.
😈
More work:

BDA0C842-96EE-44B2-9EA9-F8FCEE57575F.jpeg

You can’t really see it in the picture above (that was one of the goals!) is there’s a guy wire in the back. There’s a too large branch up there that I will probably someday maybe remove, but for now I’m keeping it. There’s a real small branch just above it that I think I can grow out to take the larger one’s place in a couple years. So, I applied a guy wire to the big one and pulled it sideways and down to hide it behind the trunk. It split a little, right at the trunk. Shouldn’t be a problem.

2EB66FC2-077E-42A0-BC81-F940FE416F3D.jpeg

The other end is looped around a stub of a branch I removed a couple years ago.

Top Bottom