Hand me down J. beech----help

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My beech has definitely contracted the dreaded Beech Leaf Disease. It no longer has any value to me, soooooo......it's been donated to the Holden Arboretum in OH. They have been kind enough to take it as they are experimenting with various treatments. The disease is currently believed to be a foliar nematode. I've given them the link to this thread so they may continue the trees journey. Hopefully, they'll be amused with bonsai and this may be the beginning of the Holden Bonsai collection. Keeping my fingers crossed!
My parting photos.

View attachment 396287View attachment 396288
Dang.. are all Beech destined for this fate? I have American Beech and European Beech

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dang.. are all Beech destined for this fate? I have American Beech and European Beech
It was discovered in 2012 around Cleveland OH. It has been spreading rather quickly. It was first thought only American beech could get it and J. Beech were immune as they had naturally overcome the disease previously. However, the DNA is different and all varieties are vulnerable. Google it and see its current range to see if near you. Good luck.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sad end to this thread....but with the possibility of a better future for all my beeches in the hood.
Beeches be crazy… but on a more serious note , this could be catastrophic, I’m hoping a cure is found soon… I was going to collect American Beech in a national forest I got a permit for in spring that is out near those new affected counties in N.W Central PA, now I don’t think I will.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well......Admin at Holden Arboretum had a different opinion than the staff about starting a bonsai collection......so it's back in my possession .:eek::eek: However, they think it can be cured by interrupting the life cycle of the nematode. It's possible since the tree is in pot and can be moved.
They've discovered the nematode lives in the veins of the leaf ,munching away all summer. It has to move out as the leaves die off in the fall. So it moves out through the stomata under the leave and down into next years bud, where it reemerges in the spring as the leaves unfurl. To move from the leaf to the bud it needs a water film i.e. rain or dew. Holden had been keeping it in a greenhouse and watering it only from the bottom, keeping the leaves dry. I had another idea.......remove the little critters before they have a chance to infect the buds. It's pretty late in the growing season and defoliation shouldn't hurt the tree an undue amount. The question is (Holden can't answer this) has the nematodes already moved down into the bud? When does this take place?
If the new leaves emerge infected in the spring I will simply do a mid-June defoliation and see what happens. Stress of defoliation again!!!! I have nothing to lose. I do worry about getting reinfected from the trees around my house which is another question. How does it spread? I may try an open front, miniature greenhouse to keep water droplets from drifting in from blowing rain. It will make itself evident!
A couple of photos of infected leaves. First is F. Grandifolia (American) and second is F. Sylvatica (Eurpoean). @Aeast IMG_0619.jpegIMG_0615.jpegIMG_0618.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well......Admin at Holden Arboretum had a different opinion than the staff about starting a bonsai collection......so it's back in my possession .:eek::eek: However, they think it can be cured by interrupting the life cycle of the nematode. It's possible since the tree is in pot and can be moved.
They've discovered the nematode lives in the veins of the leaf ,munching away all summer. It has to move out as the leaves die off in the fall. So it moves out through the stomata under the leave and down into next years bud, where it reemerges in the spring as the leaves unfurl. To move from the leaf to the bud it needs a water film i.e. rain or dew. Holden had been keeping it in a greenhouse and watering it only from the bottom, keeping the leaves dry. I had another idea.......remove the little critters before they have a chance to infect the buds. It's pretty late in the growing season and defoliation shouldn't hurt the tree an undue amount. The question is (Holden can't answer this) has the nematodes already moved down into the bud? When does this take place?
If the new leaves emerge infected in the spring I will simply do a mid-June defoliation and see what happens. Stress of defoliation again!!!! I have nothing to lose. I do worry about getting reinfected from the trees around my house which is another question. How does it spread? I may try an open front, miniature greenhouse to keep water droplets from drifting in from blowing rain. It will make itself evident!
A couple of photos of infected leaves. First is F. Grandifolia (American) and second is F. Sylvatica (Eurpoean). @Aeast View attachment 400106View attachment 400107View attachment 400108
I can uh do some scientific research for you on that Beech if you’d like 😂… kidding that’s great it’s back in your collection, hoping you figure it out for the rest of us Beeches

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well the fall defoliation seems to have worked and Holden Arboretums hypothesis is turning out well. The leaves are emerging disease free.......so far! A diseased bud would have black nasties on the leaves as they unfurl. The disease is spread by blowing water droplets from infected trees and the new healthy leaves must have a water film on them in order to be infected, hence my make shift greenhouse. The open end is facing away from the infected forest trees. Not sure whether to get this to someone in an uninfected area or just try to live with this precarious lifestyle. This is the third bullet the tree has dodged for certain death and is an amazing survivor. Might be hard to get rid of.IMG_1101.jpegIMG_1100.jpeg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is very encouraging. Hate to see you lose such a great tree. Congratulations on the apparent success!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First time in 3 years I was able to do a cutback. Wired up the apex for some more height. Large leaves were cut in half. The road to recovery, but I'm gonna get rid of it if anyone is interested. Somehow having to display it in a little box loses something.

IMG_1179.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First time in 3 years I was able to do a cutback. Wired up the apex for some more height. Large leaves were cut in half. The road to recovery, but I'm gonna get rid of it if anyone is interested. Somehow having to display it in a little box loses something.

View attachment 445510
How much

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The first thing you should do is find out if this beech leaf disease is in your area or you'll end up with the same problem. PM me when you find an answer.

Top Bottom