Hand me down J. beech----help

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is the way beech trees react to and store salts, kanuma seems to help with that.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@JudyB

You use 100% kanuma on your J. Beech?
Please explain/discuss.

I wonder if European beech would appreciate the same?

Thanks

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I started using 100% kanuma on my EU beech, as I was having trouble with leaf health. I use a mix of akadama and kanuma on my J.Beech.
I got a lot of good advice over on IBC a few years ago, here are two of the threads. The first one is very in depth, and a bit scientific. The second one has a reference to kanuma and the salt issues.
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t...s-fertilizer-water-quality-ph?highlight=beech
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12841-american-beech-as-bonsai?highlight=beech

Reaction score
Remember not to feed a lot before the leaves harden off. Also did you use kanuma in your mix? This has helped me.

Hey Judy, why is this? I've fed my EU beech quite a bit now, while the leaves haven't hardened off yet, and it seems to be thriving. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Edit: The beech is a hornbeam. Lol. Nevermind that part. Would still love to hear your thoughts though!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beech are more sensitive to salt buildup. I used to have leaf issues, but after I switched to kanuma and stopped early ferts, that the issues solved themselves. If you want a more scientific or better explanation, please read the links I posted above.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beech are more sensitive to salt buildup. I used to have leaf issues, but after I switched to kanuma and stopped early ferts, that the issues solved themselves. If you want a more scientific or better explanation, please read the links I posted above.

This is from salt in the fertilizer building up in the soil? What kind of fertilizer were you using and can you lessen the salt by switching to organic for example?

Sorry, just trying to understand. I just made a beech forest and this info is useful.

Thanks

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use dyna-gro. I don't see a need to change, as my tree is super vigorous, they are not heavy feeders. I start giving it normal ferts after harden. Please read the links, they talk about this way more coherently than I can. I just know what works for me. I do think that the kanuma is a big piece of the puzzle as it buffers the fert in some way.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did read them a couple of weeks ago.

Just wanted more detail on your experience.

Thanks

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well here we are today. It's come a long way from deaths doorstep. I can't say that for Jess (R.I.P.) whom passed it on to me. She died late this winter. She did get to see it flourishing last summer along with her ROR JM and some others not yet posted. I was a joy for her and me as well. This is what bonsai is all about!! The history and relationships built between people and plant. Her JM https://bonsainut.com/threads/hand-me-down-jm.19086/page-2#post-449884 celebrates its 93rd birthday, 2 years older than Jess was. Each tree has a story, some just starting.
This beech has/had a fairly ugly nebari and the mice made it even worse this winter. I have carved a groove around the trunk, added a wire tightened around the groove to perform a ground layer. The foliage will be allowed to grow rank to support the development of new roots. I'll let you know next spring how things turn out

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 153

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice update, glad to see it doing so well, and that Jess had a chance to see it before passing.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great bonsai! I used to see many articles in old Bonsai Today articles of airlayering beech just the way you are.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great bonsai! I used to see many articles in old Bonsai Today articles of airlayering beech just the way you are.
I saw Danny Ginkgo doing it on facebook. A typical air layer would have been too wide and chew up too much of the swelled base. The groove is 1/2" wide as opposed to 2" wide. Hopefully the wire will keep it from bridging the groove.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So here's how the ground layer went. hmmm... Forgot to take photos of the spring cut-off. What I found was it tried to bridge the groove and partially bury the wire with scar tissue. By the time I removed the copper wire and the bottom portion of the roots there wasn't much left. Only the scar tissue that had grown out horizontally and was very loosely attached to the trunk. No roots, just scar tissue. I thought this ones a goner! This thing has a will to live, avoiding the grim reaper once again. The new nebari is wild, almost burl-like with some significant roots which need to be placed a little better next spring. I'll raise the tree up a little higher in the pot to expose the new root structure better. Let it grow out again.

Attachments

• IMG_3577.JPG
    IMG_3577.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    436.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 121

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Did some bud pinching and straightened out the nebari this spring. Starting to look healthy again. I'm kinda of worried about the American beech leaf disease which has infected all the A. Beech around my house. Even though it's not supposed to harm European/Japanese beech, I've seen a few suspicious leaves on it and promptly picked them off. Pics are 2014 and current.

Attachments

• _MG_1468.JPG
    _MG_1468.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 130

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Shaping up nicely. J. Beech are loooooong term projects. Maybe in your lifetime that nasty scar on the front will heal...or another front will present itself.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Brian. I guess
Shaping up nicely. J. Beech are loooooong term projects. Maybe in your lifetime that nasty scar on the front will heal...or another front will present itself.

I like long term projects. I get more enjoyment from the development than maintaining a “finished tree “. Actually I like that nasty scar😃. But I know what you mean. My problem is that I’m a card carrying member of the UCC. The United Church of Contrarians. 😃

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Peeled back the moss for a spring cleaning and a new nebari smacked in the face. Two growing seasons after the ground layer. Now all I got to do is the rest of the tree 😱😱😱😱

Attachments

• 77D38542-C3E3-4022-AB63-BD9DC5647A81.jpeg
    77D38542-C3E3-4022-AB63-BD9DC5647A81.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 102

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My beech has definitely contracted the dreaded Beech Leaf Disease. It no longer has any value to me, soooooo......it's been donated to the Holden Arboretum in OH. They have been kind enough to take it as they are experimenting with various treatments. The disease is currently believed to be a foliar nematode. I've given them the link to this thread so they may continue the trees journey. Hopefully, they'll be amused with bonsai and this may be the beginning of the Holden Bonsai collection. Keeping my fingers crossed!
My parting photos.

IMG_4350.JPGIMG_4353.JPG

Top Bottom