Heading Out - At Least Temporarily

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they were they ought to look more like me wouldn't you think Will? Well maybe not so ugly but still a little larger in stature than they are.

My point exactly - even the ugly ones don't resemble you. Case closed!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quite wonderful that nursery. Looks like you will have a good time discovering there.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your location photos remind me of when I am in Da Lat, or Ba Ria Vung Tau in Vietnam....and other locations in Vietnam.
The irregular somewhat disorganized appearance of the placement of homes....an interesting collection of style and construction....but it all works just fine....I like the chaos....but it's not really chaos on the ground level. It works.

You're a lucky man. I like it. Hopefully...you like it also.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your location photos remind me of when I am in Da Lat, or Ba Ria Vung Tau in Vietnam....and other locations in Vietnam.
The irregular somewhat disorganized appearance of the placement of homes....an interesting collection of style and construction....but it all works just fine....I like the chaos....but it's not really chaos on the ground level. It works.

You're a lucky man. I like it. Hopefully...you like it also.

I got shot at off the coast a few times, but I was never in-country there. Much respect for what you did and what you went through there.

But yeah, I think rural life in all these tropical countries is almost the same, and I really like your idea of chaos that works to describe what goes on here. It's a very insightful take on it.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few very un-bonsai-related photos, strictly travelogue stuff.

We've been in Baguio a few days now, visiting architects and construction companies, banks, other move-related people. That goes well. and we leave tomorrow. My niece took some very nice panorama photos of our land, but we can't get them onto our computer. Before our first meeting with architects this morning we went out to the Mine's View Park - a visitor site that consists of a lot of souvenir shops surrounding a nice promontory overlooking the old gold mine and other nearby scenery. Belo are some photos of that.

Tonight we are starting to ride out the "Super Typhoon" that's rolling in. It will hit northern Luzon with Cat 5 force, but likely down here a bit further south it will only be a Cat 4 or even 3 storm. Due to really hit in about three hours around midnight, and be largely done by the morning, when we plan to leave and start trying to get back down the mountains to manila - wish us well!

Attachments

• IMG_3219.jpg
    IMG_3219.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3227.jpg
    IMG_3227.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3260 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_3260 - Version 2.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 41

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A horse of a different color! Good luck with the storm and getting back...

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing new about bonsai today, but the typhoon is passing now at 7:15AM. It's now just been downgraded to a Cat 3 here now, after hitting Cat 5 last night for awhile. Amazingly, the news reports that there have been NO casualties anywhere in the Philippines with this typhoon so far.

For folks interested in ethnobotany, BTH, there is a beautiful Brugmansia tree (or there was one last night!) outside the front of our hotel, albeit one with rather dull, very light yellow flowers. This is a tree form of Datura, or a plant in the Nightshade family, a vast family of plants, many of which are sacred and/or medicinal as the original source of atropine and scopolamine, but with many edible varieties such as tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplants. Tobacco is also a sacred/medicinal Nightshade, but doesn't contain atropine or scopolamine, but instead nicotine, and in some forms DMT and I believe harmaline compounds. A google search of "Brugmansia images" shows some great specimens. I have a sprawling one in my meditation room, as Buddha is sometimes pictured meditating below a Brugmansia or Datura of sorts, and the famous images of Dancing Shiva has him dancing with Datura flowers in his hair. Never seen any trees/plants from this family bonsai'd though . . .

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, no bonsai, but travelogue pay dirt.

First, the photo not posted: The Brugmansia tree lost all the three dozen flowers but one in the typhoon last night - it looked too pitiful to photograph.

The photos below show:

1. A hillside scene from Baguio after the typhoon this morning.

2. Some flooded farm land in the Central Plain heading back to Manila.

3. Then a series of street scenes heading back into Manila, to give you some idea about city life in a residential area here. The last photo is of a house front in the gated community where my SIL lives.

Attachments

• IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4637.jpg
    IMG_4637.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 26

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And a few more. Of course, the ones above are all out of order, but you can probably figure it out.

Not sure the problem: low-res small KB files loading really erratically, and can't get the edit function to respond .... but onward! (There's a button to click for "More Options," but it seems "Hassle-free Photo Uploading" isn't one of them that's available in the PI.)

Well, actually, after a rather long interval of complete unresponsiveness uploading, I think I'll just wait until the stars are a bit better aligned at some future time.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try again:

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4698.jpg
    IMG_4698.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4690.jpg
    IMG_4690.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 29

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a last photo for this thread, since we're leaving tomorrow, but I have started a new thread in the "Tropical Bonsai" forum to feature a little tree I got yesterday and started working on today. Anyway, hope folks have enjoyed the travelogue a bit. Adios.

Attachments

• IMG_4710.jpg
    IMG_4710.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Vin

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You really should get out in the sun a little more Will.
Or cover those legs before they burn.

Top Bottom