Heavenly Bamboo Bonsai

DRIFTER7777

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7&8
picked this Heavenly bamboo up at the locial nursey..did some trimming and repotted it let me know what you think
swswswsw.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are really nice. This is a difficult species to work with. The "trunks" on these are usually pretty small and uninteresting. Not so with these two though.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with rockm. Honestly, I don't even check Nandina here even when they are free for the taking. I once had a chance to collect an 8 foot high clump that is more than 5 feet wide by 4 feet deep...and I didn't even look and I am already there collecting some pomegranate. Maybe next time, I won't be such a snob. :D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find that a nice grove of heavenly bamboo on a slab (or very shallow pot) look really nice. They add a lot of character to a miniature landscape.
As a free standing bonsai on its own, that is a tall order, but an old clump can pull it off successfully.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I used to have a Nandina forest. I gave it away when we moved up here. Now I have one relatively old plant in a bonsai pot. I'm not wildly happy with it.

Attachments

• 12-8.JPG
    12-8.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 143

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to have a Nandina forest. I gave it away when we moved up here. Now I have one relatively old plant in a bonsai pot. I'm not wildly happy with it.

Interesting shape, but it would look much better in a group planting.

I see it similar with the case of the bamboo. You don't grow bamboo as individual, but as a grove.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's mine at a recent display in the arboretum in Raleigh, NC. Including pot it is about 20" tall and 12" across.

Attachments

• CIMG3137.jpg
    CIMG3137.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom