Hello everyone ' new member here.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great you start up with Bonsai Club. Often much better and correct info than on here. Mugo was what seemed right to me;)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The new material looks great. Juniper intimidates me, hope you find it fun

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, they could be mugo. I guessed JBP, mainly because I knew you were in California. Since you are in the northern part of eastern parts, they may do just fine for you. Mugo are not used in coastal areas especially LA and further south, because there is not enough cold for them. They don't need a very long winter, but they do need at least a couple months with temperature below 40 F at night. Daytime temperatures can be warmer, but they need cold at night. So if your mugo had been grown locally, your local climate is just fine.

Glad you will get a chance to meet Peter Tea. The Milwaukee Bonsai Society has him as the teacher for the advanced students. He comes to Milwaukee 3 times a year, he has 2 all day classes, about 6 people in each. His contract for this is in 3 year increments. Right now he is in year 4 of the second 3 year commitment. It is really good when you can keep bringing the same tree back to the same teacher over different seasons and over the course of several years. This way you learn the effects of what you do over time. The 4th dimension of bonsai.

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome, and I would say you have a few things that are very beneficial to bonsai. First, you are an opportunist and second, you have a good eye. All good scores it looks like you are off to the races. Now you just have to prep for spring by studying.
Thank you for the kind words and yes I will study. :) it seems to be the time for annual shows in my area a few within driving distance.
Peter Tea will be doing a demo this sundays show. Going to try and make it.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thank you for the kind words and yes I will study. :) it seems to be the time for annual shows in my area a few within driving distance.
Peter Tea will be doing a demo this sundays show. Going to try and make it.

Uh if you have a chance to see Peter this early in your bonsai life, I would do more than try to make it. I would clear your calendar!

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
Yep, they could be mugo. I guessed JBP, mainly because I knew you were in California. Since you are in the northern part of eastern parts, they may do just fine for you. Mugo are not used in coastal areas especially LA and further south, because there is not enough cold for them. They don't need a very long winter, but they do need at least a couple months with temperature below 40 F at night. Daytime temperatures can be warmer, but they need cold at night. So if your mugo had been grown locally, your local climate is just fine.

Glad you will get a chance to meet Peter Tea. The Milwaukee Bonsai Society has him as the teacher for the advanced students. He comes to Milwaukee 3 times a year, he has 2 all day classes, about 6 people in each. His contract for this is in 3 year increments. Right now he is in year 4 of the second 3 year commitment. It is really good when you can keep bringing the same tree back to the same teacher over different seasons and over the course of several years. This way you learn the effects of what you do over time. The 4th dimension of bonsai.

Hello again, I wanted to share with you guys that i made it to the east bay bonsai show.
Peter Tea was there :) sharing a great deal of his knowledge during the showing and his bonsai demonstration. He was "very very very" informative in great detail as he was working his bonsai demo, to me it was a class show. He covered several levels of the studied "Art" with clarity. I was very pleased with what I learned .

The east bay bonsai society members were very polite and did not hesitate to introduce themselves,way before i got up the nerve to introduce myself :) converging in a friendly conversation was no problem. they were quick to answer any questions I had and share their knowledge with me. This was a blessed day.

Ok you guys I just wanted to share this short story with you.
I better get to studying :) have a blessed day 20171015_150638.jpg
Peter Tea during demo sharing his knowledge.

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

I too dig the patio....
Straight chill!

What other hobby?

Sorce
A few "hobbies" a couple come to mind at the moment #1 wrenching on my 1971 chevelle ss total restoration ground up resto-mod that comes from "Detroit" and No I'm not using "hf" tools LOL . #2my last build was a stag-arms AR.20140524_115715.jpg 20140524_190021.jpg 20160102_135139.jpg
Still need to drop the stroker in it and get it lowered a bit. But yeah sence you ask what other hobbies, thought I'd better share.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few "hobbies" a couple come to mind at the moment #1 wrenching on my 1971 chevelle ss total restoration ground up resto-mod that comes from "Detroit" and No I'm not using "hf" tools LOL . #2my last build was a stag-arms AR.View attachment 164638 View attachment 164639 View attachment 164640
Still need to drop the stroker in it and get it lowered a bit. But yeah sence you ask what other hobbies, thought I'd better share.
As a non car guy, I've always been amazed at the difference between a Chevelle and a Chevette.

Top Bottom