Hello Everyone !

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First, thanks to all of you that take the time to respond to new people's questions. I suspect that the same 25 questions are answered approximately 200 times per week, give or take.

After years of admiration, I have come to point in time where I wanted to get involved in raising (a technical term for "try not to kill it') Bonsai.

I have successful experience with saltwater corals as well as breeding dart frogs. Both require a bit of studying regarding lighting.

I had caught a couple of articles implying that indoor bonsai can actually be done successfully now. But after spending the last 3 days reading, including many threads here, the consensus seems to be that the short answer is still um NO!

Because of where we live (we fondly refer to it as Casa de Crack Land), I cannot leave trees outside unsupervised.............like ever. They would get stolen, ripped out of the pot to play swords with a friend, or promptly peed on by someone or some thing.

I had really hoped that lighting advancements and low light tolerable species had finally met and gotten married.

I guess I can start and accumulate a mean Retusa collection.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Welcome! Like most things, the outdoor "rule" is simply reminding folk that trees do best outdoors. You can, and many do grow indoors. Your job is to replicate the needed conditions for growth. There are some species that really won't live indoors but there is a great number of tropicals and semi-tropicals that will do just fine. You can start that journey at Jerry Meislik's site. He lives in Montana and grows everything indoors and has for many years.

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/

Just so you know upfront there are more than a few obstacles to overcome. Regardless you are welcome here!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wellcome!
... ...Because of where we live (we fondly refer to it as Casa de Crack Land), I cannot leave trees outside unsupervised.............like ever. They would get stolen, ripped out of the pot to play swords with a friend, or promptly peed on by someone or some thing... ...
o_O It sounds really bad!
There are people growing some species (mostly Ficus) as bonsai under lights very successfully.
I am sure you can do it but cannot you also protect your garden so that you can also keep trees outside?

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you, Mile High !

So there is potentially hope.

I was just told there is a good club about 1.5 hours away. I'll join them to see what I can learn as well.

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wellcome!o_O It sounds really bad!
There are people growing some species (mostly Ficus) as bonsai under lights very successfully.
I am sure you can do it but cannot you also protect your garden so that you can also keep trees outside?

There's just no way. 2 neighbors tried little pot vegetable gardens. Drunk teens ripped them out and threw them down for fun.

We will be moving in 18 months give or take. I don't want to move twice. Still here in the area.

I may be able to 'borrow some backyard space from my in-laws. Actually, now that I think about it. Not being able to constantly mess with them may all but guarantee success. I can do something in doors, but maybe leave a couple over there as well.

Now we're getting somewhere !

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Zoomie , well come,

on our side houses have heavy duty burglar proofing, because we use louvres
or other window types that are seldom closed on certain sides of the house.

So I can see a shape built to the outdoors and the window is burglar proofed.

Or just look up the use of Fluorescent lighting with Bonsai and Jack Wickle.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone !

I did some more reading and have formulated a not-so-secret plan.

I have come up with a great idea for a winter experiment to give me the opportunity to do some learning. I have enough wall space in a spare room to put up 2 modest light grow racks. I'm going to run one rack using full spectrum T5 and another running full spectrum LED set ups. I'll run identical species of inexpensive specimens on each rack. Ficus, BRT, and one more which I have yet to decide upon.

I will keep notes and record anything I do. The focus will be on growth if any and keeping things alive. Ill start a thread, if for no other reason than the group may potentially save me from committing a felony or worse.........mass pre-bonsai genocide.

It is a risk I'm willing to accept. And hopefully will learn a tremendous amount. Most importantly, I'm not attempting this with expensive material so I am willing to accept the possibility of failure, without bitterness.

I need to find some material. I rooted around the local nurseries without success.

If anyone has recommendations for a 3rd species that has a shot of doing reasonably well indoors, I'd love to hear it!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome aboard!

There is a lot of information out there for people interested in growing plants indoors. Check out the many hydroponic sites, or dare I say marijuana grow sites (now that it is legal (at least in this state) the business has boomed).

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome aboard!

There is a lot of information out there for people interested in growing plants indoors. Check out the many hydroponic sites, or dare I say marijuana grow sites (now that it is legal (at least in this state) the business has boomed).

I'm checking now. The stoners may be my new best friends! ;)

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Schefflera might be an option for you. Especially with that setup you will have for them. Add Fukien Tea along with the Brazilian rain tree as mentioned already. Good luck!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Schefflera might be an option for you. Especially with that setup you will have for them. Add Fukien Tea along with the Brazilian rain tree as mentioned already. Good luck!

Thank you, Plant_dr !

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As Judy and others have said the Brazilin Rain Tree is a good choice, Wigert's has them in 8 inch pots now for 25.00USD plus S&H. Bonus with them is they have some nasty thorns making them less likely to be messed with... Several plants do :p As for Ficus there are so many varieties available online you could fill a room.
Also, when you establish an area indoors you can add color with a lot of different flora for interest - fun too! Hell we even have a Banana tree :p

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As Judy and others have said the Brazilin Rain Tree is a good choice, Wigert's has them in 8 inch pots now for 25.00USD plus S&H. Bonus with them is they have some nasty thorns making them less likely to be messed with... Several plants do :p As for Ficus there are so many varieties available online you could fill a room.
Also, when you establish an area indoors you can add color with a lot of different flora for interest - fun too! Hell we even have a Banana tree :p

Grimmy

Thanks Grimmy !

I'm working with basically a catch-all room in our apartment. Lots of hiking gear, cooking appliances on those hideous black plastic racks, etc. So I wouldn't call it eye-appealing. That said, I can move some stuff around and end up placing a rack right in from of a 6 foot wide by 4 foot tall south facing window. So some supplemental natural light in addition to T5's and LED's.

I am really nervous about this.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You raised corals, you understand light requirements better than 99% of people who post in "New to Bonsai". I would say yes, you more so than most could be successful.

Pick the species you like, figure out the lumens per square meter per hour you need, select lights accordingly. I like 6500K T5 lamps myself, good for most "part shade" species. I have a 1000 Watt, HPS Agro lamp for my full sun subtropicals. The grow shops will allow you to see different set up in operation before you buy.
My list of indoors includes Eugenia, Malpighia, a sub tropical Vaccinium, tropical Gautheria, Natal plum, Ficus, and a few I forget.

Top Bottom